Michigan Primaries Thread

NorthSideSox72

McCain is the one GOP candidate who seems to have a good shot at winning a national election against the Dems. If there is any effort by the Dems in the GOP primary to effect that, they will vote for Romney or Huckabee. If there is no organized effort, then the independent voters will make McCain a winner.

My predictions...

McCain 33%

Romney 30%

Huckabee: 16%

Thompson: 8%

Paul: 6%

Giuliani: 4%

Others/non: 3%

Independents make the difference with no Dem primary that matters, and that gives McCain the edge.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 15, 2008 -> 01:52 PM)
I think it would be hilarious if "Uncommitted" won for the Dems over Hillary.

oh me too. I'd laugh so hard. it wont happen, but it would be great. It'll finish a VERY strong second though. I think that would tend to bolster the "if you aren't voting for Hillary, you are voting against her" idea. They dislike her so much that even though she runs unopposed she STILL doesn't get 100%

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 15, 2008 -> 11:54 AM)
oh me too. I'd laugh so hard. it wont happen, but it would be great. It'll finish a VERY strong second though. I think that would tend to bolster the "if you aren't voting for Hillary, you are voting against her" idea. They dislike her so much that even though she runs unopposed she STILL doesn't get 100%

If it wasn't an open primary I think that might well have happened, that she'd get below 50%. But because they'd even let me vote in the Republican primary there, I may as well make my vote count for something, so I'm not going to bother with an "Uncommitted" vote when there's actual voting to be done.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Jan 15, 2008 -> 03:01 PM)
I am not as poitically savvy I suppose but what is the deal with the Michigan primary regarding Democrats?

basically, rules in the democratic party are that only Iowa and NH are allowed to hold primaries before Feb 5th. (NV is excluded because it is a caucus) Therefore, the DNC stripped Michigan and Florida of their delegates... rendering their primaries pointless. All the canidates agreed not to campaign in Michigan and Florida and many pulled their names from the ballots. I believe in Michigan hillary and Kuchinich are the only ones on the ballot.

So, the one suggestion so far seems to be low turnout across the board, not specifically in areas favoring either person. If true, one would hypothetically expect this to benefit Romney out of the 2 possibles, since polls show Romney winning amongst the most likely republicans, while McCain had his advantage in the independents. Although, until results come in, really who knows.

QUOTE(The Bones @ Jan 15, 2008 -> 06:15 PM)
It'll be interesting if Romney's win can give him a boost in Nevada and South Carolina.

The only recent poll I've seen for Nevada shows him in fourth and he seems to be well behind Huckabee and McCain in South Carolina.

Here are results from today for ARG in Nevada.

Romney: 29 (28)

McCain: 21 (7)

Thompson: 13 (11)

Giuliani: 11 (17)

Paul: 9 (3)

Huckabee: 8 (23)

Unsure: 10 (11)

The numbers between each poll are all over the map. The one you saw with him in 4th was Research 2000 a couple days ago.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 15, 2008 -> 10:10 PM)
So how does winning Michigan help Romney in the whole scheme of things?

A loss would have been devastating, not only because that would be 3 states with no victory, but also Michigan is his home state and where his father was a governor. If he couldn't win there, that would look really bad. Now, he won there, and has a decent-size lead in delegates going into South Carolina and Super Tuesday.

A vote AGAINST Hillary...

In race race that didnt feature 2 of the top 3 contenders on the ballot, Hillary Clinton only received 55% of the democratic vote in Michigan. 40% voted, "Uncommitted". This doesnt include people who may have crossed party lines to vote for Romney... who many believe would be beneficial to run against