Name Your Favorite City

Rex Kickass

There are so many awesome places out there.

So spill it, what city(ies) is/are your favorite and why?

1. Chicago - It's the universe I grew up around. Amazing skyline, really cosmopolitan, kick ass baseball team on the South Side.

2. Berlin - I grew up watching the city completely and fundamentally change over summers with family in the city. Warm and inviting, yet humungous. Always important. And a great city to cycle around.

3. New York - A lot of the people are annoying. The fans are horrible to be around. But the city has a little bit of everything. Including the best subway system in the world... and if you can't find it in New York, you probably won't find it anywhere.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. San Diego - I just loved it over there when I went for a weekend. The weather is warm, there's quite a lot to do, and you're right on the beach.

2 - Phoenix - I love the heat, and there's baseball and so many golf courses. Could live there so very, very easily.

3 - Melbourne - Lots of sports, people are friendly, fairly good climate, it's a nice city.

1.) Chicago - grew up there, love the lake, love downtown, love the sports, love everything.

2.) Anchorage - a truly unique city which has building and mountains within minutes of each other.

3.) Grand Rapids - beautiful buildings, love the old-style feeling of downtown, and the Grand River runs right through the heart of the city.

I also like Denver, Toronto, and Atlanta, but haven't spent enough time in any of them to get a real feel for them.

Chi-Town... other posters here said enough.

Miami- the beautiful women there is beyond imagination. (pretty women in Chicago would be considered "average" there) I had a hellova time there

Philly- great tour sight, got relatives that live there (even though the houses blow) n nothing taste better than a REAL Philly cheese steak

New York- Went when the two towers were still there (still got pics :)) excellent tour sight. Never would want to live there n too conjusted, but a hellova time. Going at night (not too late though) is something too see. NY hot dog is not too shabby.

Alabama/Mont.- Not sure if it counts, but I love it there. Got relatives n you feel at peace cuz it's open. People down south think they can party like us... not even close.

I got others but those stick out. Ima probably go to Atlanta next year (09)

EDIT: Onterio was cool too. Niagra (sp?) Falls, cool water parks and such.

1.) Chicago. Do I need to explain why?

2.) Brussels. It's beautiful. The people are kind and amazing. The food is delicious. The beer is amazing. The city center looks like something out of a fairy tale. Stunning. And did I mention the food and the beer?

3.) Glasgow. It's like Chicago in Scotland. It's modern and gritty and beautiful. The people there love their city so much and are so proud of it--it just rubs off on you. There are also some really interesting eclectic museums there. The Glasgow Cathedral is also amazing.

4.) Berlin. Compared to other big European cities it's not as beautiful. But it feels so alive and so aware of its history. Basically, it is just a really cool vibe.

5.) Montreal. It's just lovely and it (like Berlin) has a cool vibe to it. The architecture is also very cool.

6.) Paris. This is the best city I have ever been lost in (and I've been lost in pretty much every major city in Europe). Personally, I found the people there reasonably nice and helpful. The cathedrals were astounding. The food was also a big plus.

7.) Minneapolis/St. Paul. Maybe it's just because I love Minnesota, but I love the cities. They're fun and young and hip with plenty to keep me amused.

Places I really want to visit because they seem pretty cool: Helsinki and Copenhagen

To live in, or visit?

--To live in, Chicago is still my number one.

--If I had to move to another US city, tops on my list would be:

--Denver/Boulder

--Albuquerque

--Washington, DC

--Phoenix/Tucson

--Outside the US, fave cities:

--London

--Frankfurt

--Dublin

--As a weird list, cities that are fun to visit but you don't want to live in...

--Las Vegas

--New Orleans

--Memphis

Chicago - nuff said

Greater Los Angeles Area - I miss the business trips.

Monterrey Mexico. Jumping off place for "real" Mexico. Great country clubs. Great people.

Austin, Texas. Great music, state capital, gateway to hill country, Texans who think like me.

All this pales to the South Rim campsites in the Chisos Mountains. The southern tip of South Padre Island. The Springs at Lost Maples State Park. The blue waters of the Gulf of Mexico.

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Jan 23, 2008 -> 03:53 AM)
This one may surprise yall...

1) Columbus, OH

2) Chicago, IL

Columbus doesn't surprise me at all. It's one of the few cities in the midwest that I think I could move back to and be happy. Thanks to having the largest University in the country in the middle of the place, there's a pretty vibrant cultural life. Plus High Street=Fun.

1) I always enjoy Chicago when I get back there. There's no place quite like it.

2) Barcelona - love that city. Night Life is awesome, climate is great, history... *drool*

4) Merrakech, Morroco - nice climate, beautiful city, the souks (markets) are incredible. Mountains in the distance. On the other side of the mountains are the world famous sand dunes of the Sahara desert. Very picturesque.

3) Austin, TX is a pretty dang cool town.

I'll share my thoughts about Paris later this year, Soxy. :D

Edited by kapkomet

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jan 23, 2008 -> 11:59 AM)
1) I always enjoy Chicago when I get back there. There's no place quite like it.

2) Barcelona - love that city. Night Life is awesome, climate is great, history... *drool*

4) Merrakech, Morroco - nice climate, beautiful city, the souks (markets) are incredible. Mountains in the distance. On the other side of the mountains are the world famous sand dunes of the Sahara desert. Very picturesque.

3) Austin, TX is a pretty dang cool town.

I'll share my thoughts about Paris later this year, Soxy. :D

I also loved Barcelona. I promised myself to go back when the Cathedral is finished.

Paris is nice. For me, I just went with no agenda or list of places to see--it's a great city to just wander around in. Make sure you visit a bunch of little bakeries. Yum.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jan 23, 2008 -> 12:24 PM)
I also loved Barcelona. I promised myself to go back when the Cathedral is finished.

Paris is nice. For me, I just went with no agenda or list of places to see--it's a great city to just wander around in. Make sure you visit a bunch of little bakeries. Yum.

Paris. Ugh.

It's a great place to visit for a few days, but its very difficult to live in.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Jan 23, 2008 -> 12:33 PM)
Paris. Ugh.

It's a great place to visit for a few days, but its very difficult to live in.

The only cities on my list I would consider living in are Chicago and Glasgow.

Joe, Montana.

OK...seriously...

Chicago...I mean, c'mon...if you want NY bats***crazy, you got it. If you want LAid back LA, you got it. There's a reason Midwesterners, if they move away, tend to end up back in the midwest.

San Fran...Just a cool town, but waaaay to expensive.

Seattle...I mean, look at it. Water, city, mountains.

Austin...Having moved here sight unseen, I was pleasantly surprised and am said to leave it. Hopefully, I can be a snowbird someday and spend winters here.

Munich...nicest...people...anywhere, and easy to get around.

Toronto...ok, nicest...people...anywhere. Like the Chicago of Canada. Or is Chicago the Toronto of the US?