Kenny and Jerry Steroid enablers?

tonyho7476

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 25, 2008 -> 11:25 AM)
No matter what mistakes they did make, you still have to give the team credit for their behavior during the 2003 tests, and for Frank's behavior in general.

I always have wondered whether simply having Frank around the clubhouse might, for the most part, have been enough to keep us clean. Because seriously, do you want to piss off #35?

Right. I'll bet Frank Thomas checks his teammates' locker rooms for steroids and if he even gets a whiff he lets them know it's unacceptable.

I mean, Frank's admirable but he isn't a crimedog.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jan 25, 2008 -> 02:21 PM)
Right. I'll bet Frank Thomas checks his teammates' locker rooms for steroids and if he even gets a whiff he lets them know it's unacceptable.

I mean, Frank's admirable but he isn't a crimedog.

But I'll bet you wouldn't be wanting to have some dude injecting you in the ass if Frank was around.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jan 25, 2008 -> 11:31 AM)
I don't!

All hail Frank Thomas. That's for damned sure. You are right too, our entire team refusing piss tests is what got the stronger tests/punishments instilled in the first place. That could have been included in Jay's article...

The Sox players did not refuse the tests. They talked about it but bowed to Union pressure.

Moronotti does his job very well. He writes whatever he feels like and incites a controversy and attracts attention. He is not a good writer and doesn't let the facts get in the way, but the purpose of a columnist is to attract attention. He isn't a beat writer whose job it is to report on the team.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Jan 25, 2008 -> 04:19 PM)
But is anyone going to rush out and buy the paper or subscribe because everyone here thinks moronoti sucks? I don't see how this negative talk helps his bosses sell papers. Frankly, just about ALL the baseball coverage in the Sun Times sucks. Just about.

How many people have clicked on the CST's website to read the column because of this thread? How many from WSI did so? When that happens, those people see the ads on the website. So, yes, it does affect the bottom line of the Sun-Times when "this negative talk" happens.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 25, 2008 -> 11:20 PM)
How many people have clicked on the CST's website to read the column because of this thread? How many from WSI did so? When that happens, those people see the ads on the website. So, yes, it does affect the bottom line of the Sun-Times when "this negative talk" happens.

While I don't know specifics, I know that website ad revenue isn't much, at least not to a larger company like the Sun-Times. Youare right, there are probably many people who clicked on the website link, but I would bet that it didn't increase paper sales at all. I cancelled my subscription a few years ago, and while Jay wasn't theonly reason, he sure was a big one, and I let them know it when I cancelled. If all they want is 'buzz', be it good or bad, they have plenty of other crappy baseball writers who can find the topic of the day and write the opposite. They would probably be paid less, too!

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Jan 26, 2008 -> 03:13 PM)
This whole thing assumes that there's something wrong with steroids.

And there's not. I wish more players did them.

Brian Anderson needs to totally juice up. be like Brady Anderson, all of a sudden hit 50 homeruns.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 25, 2008 -> 10:28 AM)
Point is, if you are going to write an article about a steroid fueled team in chicago, the #1 focus should be the cubs. Their long time face of the franchise, several players named in the mitchell report, and their pitching messiah are all more important to the team than cansecos short stint here.

No, they should write about Bonds. Every article, every time. He's far more important than any Cub or Sox player.