SOTU by POTUS

kapkomet

Yeah, I usually watch, even when I know its going to just frustrate me. I just feel obligated.

And the speech itself is sometimes OK - even proposes some good stuff. Then it is inevitably followed by the live version of the infamous BushCo signing statements, where some press rep comes out and basically says "he didn't actually mean any of those things".

2009 can't come soon enough, in terms of politics.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 28, 2008 -> 08:06 AM)
Yeah, I usually watch, even when I know its going to just frustrate me. I just feel obligated.

And the speech itself is sometimes OK - even proposes some good stuff. Then it is inevitably followed by the live version of the infamous BushCo signing statements, where some press rep comes out and basically says "he didn't actually mean any of those things".

2009 can't come soon enough, in terms of politics.

Let's just hope whatever happens, we aren't talking about 2013 by this time next year...

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jan 28, 2008 -> 09:41 AM)
Whatever happened to "switch grass"? I remember scratching my head when Bush brought it up in a SOTU.

There are plenty of bio-fuel potential crops, including that one, as well as sugarcane and others, that are far better at energy production (for these purposes) than corn. I think we all hoped they would look into it. As it stands, little is being done.

Some of the things we can expect; bashing Democrats in the Senate for not giving him a bill that gives amnesty to all the telecom companies that spied on Americans without warrants for him (it's going to be interesting to see how they spin this, can they really start talking about the "Brave telecom industry" without inviting a backlash?), various small items to help the economy/housing market, and a probably a bunch on how great things are in Iraq. He'll also bash earmarks now that the Dems are in control of congress, without noting that there's been a non-trivial dropoff in earmarks since the Dems took over Congress.

Edited by Balta1701

We can also expect the president to urge the Senate not to slow or derail the passage of the all-important stimulus package by trying to add pesky items like extending unemployment benefits and including rebates for seniors living wholly of of Social Security.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 28, 2008 -> 10:06 AM)
We can also expect the president to urge the Senate not to slow or derail the passage of the all-important stimulus package by trying to add pesky items like extending unemployment benefits and including rebates for seniors living wholly of of Social Security.

Presumably though he'll speak at some point in favor of extending his tax cuts indefinitely.

Well, I do like Bush's saying that he will issue an XO to have federal agencies not use any funding from earmarks not voted upon in Congress. That will only address a certain number of problems, but its a good start.

But this whole thing where he is getting on Congress for earmarks is a joke. The GOP was way worse pre-2006 than this Democratic Congress has been.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Jan 28, 2008 -> 08:36 PM)
haha

Rep. Nancy Pelosi: Good evening. I'm Nancy Pelosi. For the past nineteen years, I've been a member of Congress in the eighth District of California, proudly representing the citizens of San Francisco. AS of this January, hwever, I will, in a sense, represent all Americans, when I am sworn in as speaker of the House.

[ the audience cheers ]

Despite the efforts of this administration to frighten Americans about the Democratic Party, and its alleged [ makes quotes signs with her finger ] "San Francisco values", last Tuesday you went to the polls in record numbers, and you sent this White house a message: that "stay the course in Iraq" is not a plan; that our health care system should serve ordinary citizens, not pharmaceutical companies; that so-called rough sex can be a necessary and fulfilling adjunct to a better sex life - partiularly when it involves fantasy role-play scenarios, such as kidnapping or forced interrogation, provided, of course, that both participants are willing and disease-free, and have agreed on what we call a "safe word" - for example: "Palomino"; that an increase in minimum wage is long overdue; and, finally, that U.S. citizens do not surrender their Constitutional rights, the moment they engage in multiple partner or group sex, provided, once again, that all participants are willing, at least twelve years of age, and no peanuts, or peanut products, are used.

We Americans have always been a religious people, a member of my staff tells me. And whatever you may have heard, the Democratic Party is not anti-religion. Whether you're a Wiccan priestess, a Druid, tantric Buddhist, Servant of Moloch, Lord of Fire, Presbyterian, or a member of the Cult of Collie - your faith will be respected, so long as no animals are harmed during your ceremonies - except, of course, gerbils.

And when the new Democratic majority Congress convenes in January, it will truly be a Congress as diverse as the nation it serves. [ show photo of each individual as she names them ] Chairing the Judiciary Committee: John Conyers; at Ways and Means: Charles Rangel; at Homeland Secueity: Benny Thompson; at Government Reform: Ernesto Guevara, Jr.; and Agriculture: this naked hippie.. and his old lady; and Small Business: yet another black dude; and Finance: the drummer from Rage Against the Machine; and, at Intelligence: al-Qaeda number-two man, Ayman al-Zawahiri. Truly, a Congress that looks like America.

This speech left me a bit sad. This president had a chance to be great. He was given a great opportunity, had his moment of unity and in a short period of time he systematically destroyed it and swindled a golden opportunity to become one of the better presidents. His advisors and his circle of trust was supposed to be his strength. It turned out to be his downfall.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jan 28, 2008 -> 07:22 PM)
Odd this non-partisan America's based speech by the Kansas gov sounds like all talking points from the democratic literature.

And the non-partisan speech from the President sounded like that from the other side. Kinda remarkable, don't you think?

God I hate this dance, where each side comes out and just gives a laundry list of things that they care about or want to do for an hour. It's just silly.

You know what I'd rather see, is the President coming out and giving a full speech, whether it's just 15 minutes or whatever, on one topic of importance. Like the one big goal he wants to get done this year. Set one policy goal and say this is what I'm going to do, outline a plan, give all the specifics, and use the time to convince me it's worth the effort. I'd find that more interesting and valid than the list of things that we ought to do and applause lines.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 28, 2008 -> 09:25 PM)
And the non-partisan speech from the President sounded like that from the other side. Kinda remarkable, don't you think?

God I hate this dance, where each side comes out and just gives a laundry list of things that they care about or want to do for an hour. It's just silly.

You know what I'd rather see, is the President coming out and giving a full speech, whether it's just 15 minutes or whatever, on one topic of importance. Like the one big goal he wants to get done this year. Set one policy goal and say this is what I'm going to do, outline a plan, give all the specifics, and use the time to convince me it's worth the effort. I'd find that more interesting and valid than the list of things that we ought to do and applause lines.

I was poking fun at the fact that she had first stated how this wasnt a democratic response, and this was just the people responding.

The SOTU is silly. Watching one side stand up and clap like jackasses while the other side sits with a piss face. Its bad on both accounts. Then making comments that are so obvious. We the American people are against famine, farting in the wind, and the tragedy in Darfur. Wow really against genocide, what a novel prospect. The applause and jackassery that this event is about is so silly.