Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 12, 2008 -> 09:23 PM)
Brian Randle is absolutely the dumbest player I've ever seen.

You weren't watching Spencer Tollackson tonight then.

Tonight was the worst Gopher basketball game I've ever personally watched, and I went to almost all of the games last year when we were 9-22. Everyone on the court looked drunk, and had no composure at all. Add in Illinois shooting 60% overall (and 58% from behind the arc), with the Gophers shooting 34.5% (and 30% from downtown) and that has the makings for a terrible, terrible game.

Also (mostly because of my earlier post, I feel obligated to say this), the referees were the worst group I've watched all season as well, for both teams. The amount of ticky tacky calls was ridiculous, they had no idea when not to blow the whistle. Absolutely horrible, but at least the Gophers were bad enough that it didn't make a difference in the game.

Edited by Felix

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Felix @ Feb 12, 2008 -> 01:44 PM)
Illinois is in town tonight... I can't wait to get back from the game to see a number of posts in here complaining about how bad the refs are and how you guys can't wait to see Pruitt/Randle graduate :P

Illinois carries a 17-game winning streak over Minnesota into Tuesday's game, a streak that began with the 1999 Big Ten Tournament Quarterfinal. It is the longest active winning streak by any Big Ten school over a conference opponent.

haha...make that 18 in a row. if nothing else this year we've kept our streaks against missouri and minnesota.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 12, 2008 -> 08:16 PM)
Rex,

Yeah I know that was what I was referring to. At first I thought itd be the other way around, White getting more looks because of Gordon. But White really has looked good this year, and quite frankly he is going to get selected in the top 15 in the draft. I know I said otherwise to start the season, but this is clearly a different player and he just has been great in the low post. The fact he goes up against bigger guys almost every game shows that in the NBA he can play the PF no problem and with many teams running he just looks like he will make the show.

IMO the best player on Indiana has been White. (Not saying B10 player of the year because there is a lot more games to be played)

Badger, you're singin to the choir. I was also critical of White and skeptical of his NBA chances before the season. It was strange, but it was almost like you could see a light switch turned on after the 3rd game of the season. He still doesn't have great feet and doesn't run the court well, but he certainly has been better in those areas as well. Relentless is, I believe, the best way to describe his play.

I'll look forward to seeing him in the next three games to see how he does. Michigan State rebounds very well so that may be a challenge for him.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 12, 2008 -> 08:24 PM)
Quick edit: Dont think im trying to push Koufos as a freshman of the year candidate, I actually think hes actually extremely weak as a ballplayer right now.

I was actually quite impressed with Koufos on Sunday.

QUOTE(Felix @ Feb 12, 2008 -> 10:11 PM)
You weren't watching Spencer Tollackson tonight then.

Tonight was the worst Gopher basketball game I've ever personally watched, and I went to almost all of the games last year when we were 9-22. Everyone on the court looked drunk, and had no composure at all. Add in Illinois shooting 60% overall (and 58% from behind the arc), with the Gophers shooting 34.5% (and 30% from downtown) and that has the makings for a terrible, terrible game.

Also (mostly because of my earlier post, I feel obligated to say this), the referees were the worst group I've watched all season as well, for both teams. The amount of ticky tacky calls was ridiculous, they had no idea when not to blow the whistle. Absolutely horrible, but at least the Gophers were bad enough that it didn't make a difference in the game.

oRaNgE kRuShEd

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 12, 2008 -> 11:17 PM)
IU hit up with more major allegations, won't get punished until Summer.

Have fun with that IU fans

Guess we'll see what the report says. I guess I am ignorant in hoping that they are nothing more than has already been found.

The one thing I don't get is that both ESPN and Yahoo sports reported that IU's findings reported that Sampson made 100 impermissible phone calls. That's not true at all. Sampson was not found to make any phone calls at all. His part was that he participated in approximately a dozen 3-way calls in a year's time, which were not allowed under his sanctions.

Unless they have found additional info, Sampson was not tied to any outgoing phone calls.

All that said, if he hid additional violations or lied, I will first puke and second call for his ass to be fired immediately. If the allegations are basically what IU has self-reported, then this is old news.

"The NCAA sent a notice of allegations to Indiana University last Friday detailing major violations in the men's basketball program"

" the NCAA uncovered new information since Indiana self-reported violations"

Sounds like new evidence on the existing allegations, though that could mean a wide range of things.

"Multiple sources told ESPN.com that the NCAA was looking into whether Sampson did not tell the truth about those calls"

Hmmm.

That was my first instinct that it was just old news, but espn is saying its new information:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3243325

But ESPN.com has learned over the last week that the NCAA uncovered new information since Indiana self-reported violations under second-year head coach Kelvin Sampson in October.

Sampson had been sanctioned after making impermissible phone calls while he was the coach at Oklahoma. Indiana then revealed more bad calls while Sampson was at IU. Multiple sources told ESPN.com that the NCAA was looking into whether Sampson did not tell the truth about those calls, resulting in the allegations of major violations.

This new information that helped result in a major violations tag could put the season of Indiana (No. 12 ESPN/USA Today, No. 13 AP) under a cloud of uncertainty and the career of Sampson as well.

And the day of the Wisconsin game, cant be good for business.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 12:12 AM)
"The NCAA sent a notice of allegations to Indiana University last Friday detailing major violations in the men's basketball program"

" the NCAA uncovered new information since Indiana self-reported violations"

Sounds like new evidence on the existing allegations, though that could mean a wide range of things.

"Multiple sources told ESPN.com that the NCAA was looking into whether Sampson did not tell the truth about those calls"

Hmmm.

I read all of that. I'll just reserve judgement until I see what they unveil. I will say this. I am f***ing sick of all of this bull s***!

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 12:20 AM)
I read all of that. I'll just reserve judgement until I see what they unveil. I will say this. I am f***ing sick of all of this bull s***!

Indiana got in bed with the wrong coach. Sampson broke a ton of rules at OU and did not get the much punishment. I believe he just blamed his assistants. Now is the time the NCAA will make sure he is punished. He is the dirtiest coach in America, and his cheating ways is something that IU does not deserve.

Edited by Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE(Brian @ Feb 12, 2008 -> 11:15 PM)
Felix can't be to happy.

Felix isn't. Felix is rather disgusted, in fact.

QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 12, 2008 -> 11:16 PM)
I thought that Tubby Smith was going to make miracles... :huh

Taking a team with 9-22 talent and giving them at a chance to get 20 wins is a miracle all in itself. After tonight debacle, we won't be getting those 20 wins, but he's still done a tremendous job thus far in Minneapolis, especially on the recruiting front.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 12, 2008 -> 11:50 PM)
oRaNgE kRuShEd

I have no idea what the intention of your post was, but I hope you enjoy being alone in 9th place in the Big 10 now, as opposed to being tied for 10th before tonight. Really, enjoy it.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Felix @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 12:35 AM)
Felix isn't. Felix is rather disgusted, in fact.

Taking a team with 9-22 talent and giving them at a chance to get 20 wins is a miracle all in itself. After tonight debacle, we won't be getting those 20 wins, but he's still done a tremendous job thus far in Minneapolis, especially on the recruiting front.

I have no idea what the intention of your post was, but I hope you enjoy being alone in 9th place in the Big 10 now, as opposed to being tied for 10th before tonight. Really, enjoy it.

Illinois beat you, they are allowed to run their mouths, even though both your teams suck.

Edited by Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 12:30 AM)
Think he paid for gordon??

Uh, no.

I'd still like to know what Sampson did at Oklahoma besides the phone calls. Never has anyone offered up anything more than that with any kind of substantiation at all. Lots of impermissible phone calls can't make him anywhere near the "dirtiest" coach. Maybe the dumbest because he was making phone calls while everybody else was learning to text message hourly which was outside of the rules. But phones calls are far from what we have seen and what I am confident goes on at other programs.

NOTE: That is in no way me saying they are acceptable.

QUOTE(Felix @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 12:35 AM)

If you can't tell by the caps/no caps, kind of a joke post, and Krush was there tonight, no?

Furthermore, kind of hard to talk s*** as a Minnesota bball fan. First time in forever you are actually a better team than us, and you still haven't beat us in 18 (?) games. Enjoy this (whatever this is) while it lasts, I guess.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 13, 2008 -> 12:54 AM)
If you can't tell by the caps/no caps, kind of a joke post, and Krush was there tonight, no?

Furthermore, kind of hard to talk s*** as a Minnesota bball fan. First time in forever you are actually a better team than us, and you still haven't beat us in 18 (?) games. Enjoy this (whatever this is) while it lasts, I guess.

I cant belive I defended the Illini fans a few posts back, yuck