Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 06:06 PM)
Why because of the Gordon thing? Because they were good a few years ago? Because they have whiny fans and you deal with them regularly on message boards?

I just don't see it being anything more than temporary. Illinois is like the little brother that just won't leave you alone. He'll put up a good fight on occasion and won't ever go away, but you still don't take him completely seriously.

Over the long run, Illinois is not one of IU's principal rivalries.

As I said in the next post, I don't feel that they're a primary rival for the long run. And sure, this board effects the way I view Illinois. However, my friends don't post or even know what ST is, and they feel the same way I do.

I agree that they're not a principal rival.

I'm with Rex on this one. I still rooted for ILL against PU today big time. I do not dislike any Illini players, so I can't really call it a big rivalry. Now on the other hand, I can't stand anyone on Purdue nor anyone associated with them. Thats a rivalry.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 05:09 PM)
As I said in the next post, I don't feel that they're a primary rival for the long run. And sure, this board effects the way I view Illinois. However, my friends don't post or even know what ST is, and they feel the same way I do.

I agree that they're not a principal rival.

It certainly does. I was rooting for Purdue today and I cannot EVER remember doing that. In the past I would have rooted for Illinois in a hurry. Unfortunately, this and another board I post on has turned me into an Illini hater which is not the norm for me.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 11:00 PM)
You are reading it exactly right. Purdue and Kentucky are Indiana's rivalries. Michigan State at times is a bigger game than Illinois. Whether Illini fans like it or not - it is not our fault they don't have a real rivalry of their own - the Illini just aren't that important to the Hoosiers.

If they want to fight for #3 status on our rivalry board and feel important about that, go right ahead. Beyond that, they are just another Big Ten team, albeit with a lound and annoying fan base.

I'm calling BS.

As an outside observer who, quite frankly, doesn't really care one way or another about the Big Ten, IU/UofI games always seem to have a little more 'juice' in the arena that night. If you're saying it's just another game to the mighty Indiana fans, I'd say you're completely oblivious.

And please, Rex, stop with the 'holier than thou' fan-base bulls***. Comparing the 'intelligence' (or whatever you want to call it) is nothing more than a dick-measuring contest (if I may put it so bluntly). Indiana has a lot of idiot fans, too -- they're no different from any other state school (or otherwise) that has people who couldn't put 2-and-2 together yet act like they have a blood connection to the school. Every fan base has idiots, and you're getting quite ridiculous with the continual back-handed jabs at 'em.

EDIT: I should also add that I'm not going to comment about where UofI would rank in Indiana's rivalry. Again -- speaking as an outside observer -- I'd say they're a top five rivalry for Indiana but again, I probably don't have much of a 'right' (for lack of a better word) to make that distinction.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 05:14 PM)
I'm calling BS.

As an outside observer who, quite frankly, doesn't really care one way or another about the Big Ten, IU/UofI games always seem to have a little more 'juice' in the arena that night. If you're saying it's just another game to the mighty Indiana fans, I'd say you're completely oblivious.

And please, Rex, stop with the 'holier than thou' fan-base bulls***. Comparing the 'intelligence' (or whatever you want to call it) is nothing more than a dick-measuring contest (if I may put it so bluntly). Indiana has a lot of idiot fans, too -- they're no different from any other state school (or otherwise) that has people who couldn't put 2-and-2 together yet act like they have a blood connection to the school. Every fan base has idiots, and you're getting quite ridiculous with the continual back-handed jabs at 'em.

EDIT: I should also add that I'm not going to comment about where UofI would rank in Indiana's rivalry. Again -- speaking as an outside observer -- I'd say they're a top five rivalry for Indiana but again, I probably don't have much of a 'right' (for lack of a better word) to make that distinction.

CWS you missed my point entirely. The only reason there is any holier than thou attitude on my part is because the Illini are not as high on our pecking order than they want to be or think they are. I never said anything about idiot fans or said anything that should be considered a dick measuring contest. And I didn't say it was just another game. Some games are big games, but that doesn't make them your top rival.

It is what it is. Illinois is no higher than 3rd in terms of importance to IU. Like it or not it is the truth. However, as you read it here, they seem to feel we are their most important rival. Hence the imbalance. If you don't like the truth I couldn't care less. But I am not spouting any BS at all. It really is comparable to how Iowa State views Kansas.

CWS, You're edit made my point.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 03:15 PM)
I dont get all the hate for Illinois and Weber.

Indiana? Are you kidding me. If it wasnt for that whole Eric Gordon situation, the roles would be entirely reversed. Gordon and Pruitt is just the same as Gordon and White. Not to mention you actually talk about Bruce Weber??

How many recruiting violations does Bruce Weber have?

Any team can make noise when they hire guys like Huggins, Sampson, etc who are willing to do anything to get players, willing to break any rule to win. But dont expect to get any respect for it.

As for KU, come on, when is the last time the great KU was in the NCAA finals?

Its easy to be a big fish in a little pond.

Except that White is much better than Pruitt.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 11:51 PM)
It is what it is. Illinois is no higher than 3rd in terms of importance to IU. Like it or not it is the truth. However, as you read it here, they seem to feel we are their most important rival. Hence the imbalance. If you don't like the truth I could care less. But I am not spouting any BS at all. It really is comparable to how Iowa State views Kansas.

My apologies if I put words in your mouth -- I tried to avoid doing that.

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any Illinois fans saying (or insinuating) that Indiana fans SHOULD feel UofI is their biggest rival, especially in a year where UofI is so (relatively) bad. My issues came when I thought you were insinuating that UofI/IU isn't a rivalry game at all, but your clarification makes it clear that you're just saying it's not *THE* rivalry game -- still a rivalry, just not the top one for Indiana.

Thanks for the clarification -- that seems to make more sense.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 05:57 PM)
My apologies if I put words in your mouth -- I tried to avoid doing that.

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any Illinois fans saying (or insinuating) that Indiana fans SHOULD feel UofI is their biggest rival, especially in a year where UofI is so (relatively) bad. My issues came when I thought you were insinuating that UofI/IU isn't a rivalry game at all, but your clarification makes it clear that you're just saying it's not *THE* rivalry game -- still a rivalry, just not the top one for Indiana.

Thanks for the clarification -- that seems to make more sense.

I guess to me there is a difference between a big rivalry and a team you really want to beat. Rivalries are tested over time and part of a team's tradition. Rivalries can change, but for the most part they do not. From time to time, Illinois, Michigan State, Ohio State and Michigan have been huge games for IU. I never insinuated they aren't important (all games are important and some more important to the fans) but they aren't season make or break type games. Illinois is a big game for IU currently. But they just aren't the biggest concern on the schedule.

That is what I was trying to say. Perhaps not eloquently enough.

Just to get an illini opinion in here.

In my 4 years here, we have lacked a concrete basketball rival. Mizzou is the only one that's really been around for a long time.

Other than that, MSU and wisconsin for the past 3 years have been the only thing even close to a rivalry. But honestly, that's just because they were the 3 big teams in the big ten in 04 and 05. Ever since the eric gordon thing, the IU rivalry has leapfrogged both of them by a long shot.

But that's just my personal opinion over my time on campus.

QUOTE(SnB @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 06:09 PM)
Just to get an illini opinion in here.

In my 4 years here, we have lacked a concrete basketball rival. Mizzou is the only one that's really been around for a long time.

Other than that, MSU and wisconsin for the past 3 years have been the only thing even close to a rivalry. But honestly, that's just because they were the 3 big teams in the big ten in 04 and 05. Ever since the eric gordon thing, the IU rivalry has leapfrogged both of them by a long shot.

But that's just my personal opinion over my time on campus.

I certainly agree that the Eric Gordon saga has intensified things between the two schools. That will soon pass and I believe things will go more back to normal. But the proximity of the two schools will always mean there will be heated recruiting battles and the talent will make for some great games, so the game will never become unimportant. Just not the most important. Make sense?

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 06:12 PM)
I certainly agree that the Eric Gordon saga has intensified things between the two schools. That will soon pass and I believe things will go more back to normal. But the proximity of the two schools will always mean there will be heated recruiting battles and the talent will make for some great games, so the game will never become unimportant. Just not the most important. Make sense?

i wasn't arguing with you.

I actually agree completely.

3-4 years ago, the IU game wasn't anything special.

Oh yeah PS:

UNC, UCLA, and TAMU lost today

QUOTE(SnB @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 06:17 PM)
i wasn't arguing with you.

I actually agree completely.

3-4 years ago, the IU game wasn't anything special.

Oh yeah PS:

UNC, UCLA, and TAMU lost today

I know you weren't, I was just clarifying

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 05:00 PM)
You are reading it exactly right. Purdue and Kentucky are Indiana's rivalries. Michigan State at times is a bigger game than Illinois. Whether Illini fans like it or not - it is not our fault they don't have a real rivalry of their own - the Illini just aren't that important to the Hoosiers.

If they want to fight for #3 status on our rivalry board and feel important about that, go right ahead. Beyond that, they are just another Big Ten team, albeit with a lound and annoying fan base.

Well if it's any consolation, the IU fans on this board make me hate IU even more.

I also call BS, as every IU fan now goes out of their way to throw anything in an Illini's fan's face (not that they've had much of a chance to do that in recent years whatsoever). There sure was a lot of venom at Assembly Hall last game (and the last few).

Pretty sure Greasy has the pulse of the campus measured correctly.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 05:00 PM)

Wait are you seriously implying that Indiana doesn't have a loud, annoying fan base? Indiana fans in almost every sport are, for the most part, totally unbearable.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 20, 2008 -> 12:44 AM)
What other sport does IU have besides basketball?

Exactly.

To Krush, gbuk, etc.....

I have always had a nice and peaceful, respectful existence discussing other's teams until I started dealing with Illinois fans (Krush, you are actually an exception most all the time). In fact, I am quite confident that you will find objective posts about IU and Illinois from me frequently. I don't spout off BS about my team. Neither does greasy. Aboz used to spar with Illini fans some but I don't think he started it. Aside from that there are only a few other IU fans on here, so I find it hard to figure how "we" are so obnoxious.

gbuk, don't get me started with your BS. You haven't been around this board near long enough to understand the history of what I am talking about. Go research the college basketball thread the past two years before you start making comments about IU fans on this board.

I b**** about Illinois fans because they are large in number and there are very few that I perceive to be level-headed and even semi-objective on here. And every single Illinois game played there is somebody complaining about the officiating. I find that just ridiculous.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE(gbuk @ Jan 20, 2008 -> 12:04 AM)
I always love elitist fans talking about how they're too good to be rivals with another team.

If you would pay attention, I never said anything of the sort. I stated that Illinois is simply not one of IU's top rivals. It has nothing to do with being "too good". If you want to put words in my mouth, at least use the right ones.

I've only made my point 3 or 4 times now. So either you aren't smart enough to get it or just don't pay enough attention. For now, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and go with the latter. But I'm on the fence.

How's that strike for elitist???