Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

Too bad it took Weber this long to figure out that in order to win you have to have good players. Some are stubborn enough and arrogant enough that they think they can do it with players not nearly as talented as the big time recruits...laziness takes affect and it shows.

Has Weber taken that route? I'm not exactly sure, but something clearly clicked in there.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 13, 2008 -> 09:39 PM)
I don't think it is the reason we lost. IU is better and they had to play poorly and Illinois had to play well for the game to be close. Those calls absolutely did affect the game. Talent is the real reason IU won today, but that doesn't change the fact that the officiating was awful (which is par for the course in the Big 10).

I'm not even talking about these boards, or I'd say these boards. The fans here are different from everywhere else, that's why I post here and not on the Illini boards. Anyways, IU just didn't show up today, and Illinois has to find a way to win a game like that one, but as has been all year except Mizzou, lose the close ones at all costs.

QUOTE(gbuk @ Jan 13, 2008 -> 09:41 PM)
Too bad it took Weber this long to figure out that in order to win you have to have good players. Some are stubborn enough and arrogant enough that they think they can do it with players not nearly as talented as the big time recruits...laziness takes affect and it shows.

Has Weber taken that route? I'm not exactly sure, but something clearly clicked in there.

Julian Wright, Sherron Collins, and now Mario Little, thanks Coach Bam.

QUOTE(gbuk @ Jan 13, 2008 -> 09:41 PM)

He went after big time recruits but just failed to land them until recently and Weber did a bad job recruiting but it actually had nothing to do with being lazy.

McCamey was a positive today I thought. He shot very poorly (2-10 overall, 2-6 on 3's), but he had 5 assists and zero turnovers. To do that in that environment is a big plus. And I still wish Mike Davis would play more.

On a random note, I watched Illinois on TIVO because I went to the NIU game (we're 4-1 at home, sure we're 0-9 on the road but I'm reaching). Anyways, the NIU bench scored 62 points (as many as Toledo's entire team total) and the starters scored 16. I can't remember seeing anything like that.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 13, 2008 -> 09:46 PM)
McCamey was a positive today I thought. He shot very poorly (2-10 overall, 2-6 on 3's), but he had 5 assists and zero turnovers. To do that in that environment is a big plus. And I still wish Mike Davis would play more.

McCamey has to finish stronger at the rim but he is starting to look like a very good PG. Still makes some dumb plays but that is to be expected from a freshmen. He is taking to long to get his shot up (the reverse layups took way to long, needs to get the ball up much quicker). I think Davis and Tisdale both show flashes of being very good players. Both need to hit the weight room hard over the off season. Tisdale is also clueless when it comes to rotating on defense. He seems to think about where he needs to go on defense rather than just reacting. Makes him look a lot slower on D than he really is IMO. Part of the problem from playing D in HS where all he was asked to do was stand under the rim and try to block shots.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 13, 2008 -> 09:53 PM)
McCamey has to finish stronger at the rim but he is starting to look like a very good PG. Still makes some dumb plays but that is to be expected from a freshmen. He is taking to long to get his shot up (the reverse layups took way to long, needs to get the ball up much quicker). I think Davis and Tisdale both show flashes of being very good players. Both need to hit the weight room hard over the off season. Tisdale is also clueless when it comes to rotating on defense. He seems to think about where he needs to go on defense rather than just reacting. Makes him look a lot slower on D than he really is IMO. Part of the problem from playing D in HS where all he was asked to do was stand under the rim and try to block shots.

Davis is a much much better defender than Tisdale right now, thus I call for his minutes to go up and not Tisdale's. Tizzy should have took a redshirt, that's very obvious even though he could end up a very good player.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 13, 2008 -> 09:54 PM)
Davis is a much much better defender than Tisdale right now, thus I call for his minutes to go up and not Tisdale's. Tizzy should have took a redshirt, that's very obvious even though he could end up a very good player.

I agree that Davis minutes should go up more than Tisdale's, but at this point I also think all the freshmen should see more minutes. Get these guys as game ready as you can. This season is a lost cause.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 14, 2008 -> 04:19 AM)
I agree that Davis minutes should go up more than Tisdale's, but at this point I also think all the freshmen should see more minutes. Get these guys as game ready as you can. This season is a lost cause.

yeah, at this point you have to place a premium on getting guys minutes and ready for next year. i also think cole and semrau need to play more, at the least to get a better understanding of what you have. i'd bet, though, that those guys will probably continue to get limited minutes until the tournament is totally out of the question.

either way, after watching yesterday for the first time in a few weeks i feel better about the future. a guard group of mccamey, smith, legion, frazier, and meacham is pretty solid. in that group, frazier and meacham are in their proper roles, energy guy off the bench and three-point marksman. to have two seniors in that role should help.

i also have to give brock props for his play yesterday. he did a nice job on gordon and is really growing into a guy that i love to watch play.

Predict the Big Ten finish...Let's see what everyone thinks.

1. Wisconsin (14-4) *Losses: @Purdue, @IU, vs.MSU, +1 slip NOTE: WIS does not play @ MSU

1. Indiana (14-4) *Losses: @WIS, @OSU, @MSU, +1 slip

3. Michigan State (13-5) *Losses: @IU, @WIS, @OSU, +1 slip (already lost to Iowa somehow...)

4. Ohio State (12-6)

5. Purdue (11-7)

6. Illinois (10-8)

7. Minnesota (9-9)

8. Penn State (6-12)

9. Iowa (5-13)

10. Michigan (5-13)

11. Northwestern (2-16)

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jan 14, 2008 -> 01:19 PM)

1. Wisconsin (14-4) *Losses: @Purdue, @IU, vs.MSU, +1 slip NOTE: WIS does not play @ MSU

3. Michigan State (13-5) *Losses: @IU, @WIS, @OSU, +1 slip (already lost to Iowa somehow...)

4. Ohio State (12-6)

5. Purdue (11-7)

6. Illinois (10-8)

7. Minnesota (9-9)

8. Penn State (6-12)

9. Iowa (5-13)

10. Michigan (5-13)

11. Northwestern (2-16)

to have illinois above .500 is ludicrous.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jan 14, 2008 -> 01:19 PM)

4. Ohio State (12-6)

5. Purdue (11-7)

6. Illinois (10-8)

7. Minnesota (9-9)

8. Penn State (6-12)

9. Iowa (5-13)

10. Michigan (5-13)

11. Northwestern (2-16)

Indiana, & Michigan State above Wisconsin.

Purdue, Ohio State and Minnesota fighting at the next level to get into the NCAA.

The bottom 5 all horses*** fighting to stay out of the basement, well below .500!

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 14, 2008 -> 03:57 AM)
Big Monday is back finally tomorrow!!!

Who's on tonight? I think I saw Pitt and Georgetown at 6:00 (which isn't as great a matchup since Pitt has been absolutely ravaged by injuries), but what's the later game?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 14, 2008 -> 05:14 PM)
Who's on tonight? I think I saw Pitt and Georgetown at 6:00 (which isn't as great a matchup since Pitt has been absolutely ravaged by injuries), but what's the later game?

OU at the greatest stadium in the nation(Kansas)

Late game

Pepperdine at Gonzage(home of the second most annoying fans outside of Duke)

Thoughts on the Big 12/ISU.

Augustin disappointed me when I watched him at Mizzou. Certainly didn't look like the best player in the conference.

Kansas looks as good as I've ever seen them. No worse than 14-2 in conference. I really hope we can get 'em in Hilton. Almost happened last year. Still the single biggest game of the year for us.

Baylor didn't look too awesome against Iowa State. I hope that means we're decent.

Craig Brackins looked like a FREAK. 33 pts, including 8 of 10 3's is pretty good for a 6-10 guy. Too bad he can't bang down low yet.

Tomorrow night's game is going to be interesting. Mizzou's 40 minutes of something or other against ISU's take the air out of ball. That may reveal a bit about each team.

Frank Martin looks like a douche.