Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 03:09 PM)
Also... the Illinois-Indiana 's***-slinging' (can I call it that?) is one of the best parts of this thread so, I'm'a just pull up a chair and grab some popcorn and enjoy the action.

now i remember why i never come in here anymore.

I dont get all the hate for Illinois and Weber.

Indiana? Are you kidding me. If it wasnt for that whole Eric Gordon situation, the roles would be entirely reversed. Gordon and Pruitt is just the same as Gordon and White. Not to mention you actually talk about Bruce Weber??

How many recruiting violations does Bruce Weber have?

Any team can make noise when they hire guys like Huggins, Sampson, etc who are willing to do anything to get players, willing to break any rule to win. But dont expect to get any respect for it.

As for KU, come on, when is the last time the great KU was in the NCAA finals?

Its easy to be a big fish in a little pond.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 02:54 PM)
Who are the refs today??? Just wondering?

Not in the box score yet. But all I know is I come away from nearly every Big 10 game (not just Illinois) I watch thinking the refs did a poor job. No consistency with the calls they make and I hate the way the conference is officiated in general. In the first half today the refs let both teams play. Then for a short period they called any contact at all. Then all of a sudden they decide to let the game get physical again. There just is no consistency from game to game or even from minute to minute in the way they call the games.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 03:22 PM)
Not in the box score yet. But all I know is I come away from nearly every Big 10 game (not just Illinois) I watch thinking the refs did a poor job. No consistency with the calls they make and I hate the way the conference is officiated in general. In the first half today the refs let both teams play. Then for a short period they called any contact at all. Then all of a sudden they decide to let the game get physical again. There just is no consistency from game to game or even from minute to minute in the way they call the games.

Happens in almost every game in every conference. In games where the games are tight and fouls are called, a team needs depth.

Edited by Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 03:34 PM)
Happens in almost every game in every conference. In games where the games are tight and fouls are called, a team needs depth.

That was the problem today though. It was tight at times and very loose at others. It was basically completely random.

And when you miss FTs the way Illinois did today and turn the ball over constantly you aren't going to win. That was never the point of my post today. I'm just sick of watching Big 10 refs blow calls constantly and just randomly change the way they are officiating games.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 03:01 PM)
Good win Heads, i was watching...you guys still suck :)

Battle for first place on Wednesday....:P

Alex Thompson had a great game today. I thought we played better today than we did against Missouri, but struggled against a weaker team.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 03:56 PM)
Battle for first place on Wednesday....:P

Alex Thompson had a great game today. I thought we played better today than we did against Missouri, but struggled against a weaker team.

Lets talk about that after the Mizzou game today, rivalry games are always fun.

Oh and heads, rivalries are when both teams view each others as rivals....not just how you view us as rivals :)

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 03:22 PM)

Are these same refs just as bad when they do Missouri Valley or Big 12 games? You do realize that most of these guys work multiple conferences and are just referees hired to work games. There isn't a whole lot to the "Big Ten" ref thing.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 03:59 PM)
Lets talk about that after the Mizzou game today, rivalry games are always fun.

Oh and heads, rivalries are when both teams view each others as rivals....not just how you view us as rivals :)

see Indiana and Illinois

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 10:19 PM)
see Indiana and Illinois

Can you clarify what you're saying here? I take this as a real pot-stirring comment and, if you're saying that Indiana fans don't view Illinois as a rivalry, I'd find that laughable, although there's a decent chance I'm misreading it.

Edited by CWSGuy406

Well we're still better than the 2 worst teams in the Valley. So that's good news.

Mini Rant: We've lost on two buzzer beaters this season and we also lost a game where we blew a 9 point lead in the last 4 minutes. We win those 3 games like we should have and this whole season is completely different. Obviously, good teams usually find a way to win those types of games but it sucks to think about what could have been. sigh.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 05:50 PM)
Can you clarify what you're saying here? I take this as a real pot-stirring comment and, if you're saying that Indiana fans don't view Illinois as a rivalry, I'd find that laughable, although there's a decent chance I'm misreading it.

I read it as him saying IU-UI is a rivalry, by Jimbo's definition. :huh

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 04:50 PM)

You are reading it exactly right. Purdue and Kentucky are Indiana's rivalries. Michigan State at times is a bigger game than Illinois. Whether Illini fans like it or not - it is not our fault they don't have a real rivalry of their own - the Illini just aren't that important to the Hoosiers.

If they want to fight for #3 status on our rivalry board and feel important about that, go right ahead. Beyond that, they are just another Big Ten team, albeit with a lound and annoying fan base.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 04:58 PM)
I read it as him saying IU-UI is a rivalry, by Jimbo's definition. :huh

nope, this is just a joke on heads.

Iowa State views kansas as a huge rivalry. Kansas views Iowa State as a team from buttf*** Iowa. A rivarly game has both sides view each other as natural rivals.

Edited by Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 05:00 PM)
You are reading it exactly right. Purdue and Kentucky are Indiana's rivalries. Michigan State at times is a bigger game than Illinois. Whether Illini fans like it or not - it is not our fault they don't have a real rivalry of their own - the Illini just aren't that important to the Hoosiers.

If they want to fight for #3 status on our rivalry board and feel important about that, go right ahead. Beyond that, they are just another Big Ten team, albeit with a lound and annoying fan base.

but but but but but You guys took Gordon, and now they dont have a good recruit till 2011.

Or not...

I've got to disagree with you a bit Rex. Yes, Purdue and Kentucky are our primary rivals--always will be. However, I consider Illinois to be a huge rival in the past few years. And I know I'm not the only one to feel that way on campus, not by a long shot.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 06:01 PM)
nope, this is just a joke on heads.

Iowa State views kansas as a huge rivalry. Kansas views Iowa State as a team from buttf*** Iowa. A rivarly game has both sides view each other as natural rivals.

Heh, at least from my perspective, your definition fits what IU-UI is at the moment. Who knows how long this will last though.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 05:03 PM)
Or not...

I've got to disagree with you a bit Rex. Yes, Purdue and Kentucky are our primary rivals--always will be. However, I consider Illinois to be a huge rival in the past few years. And I know I'm not the only one to feel that way on campus, not by a long shot.

Why because of the Gordon thing? Because they were good a few years ago? Because they have whiny fans and you deal with them regularly on message boards?

I just don't see it being anything more than temporary. Illinois is like the little brother that just won't leave you alone. He'll put up a good fight on occasion and won't ever go away, but you still don't take him completely seriously.

Over the long run, Illinois is not one of IU's principal rivalries.