School shooting and God, related?

Soxy

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 12:40 PM)
We have a desire and a longing to interact with community, yet we say "no way!" to the concept that sometimes it's better for the community to help shape ourselves over our own abilities to do so. In other words, the people you love and respect should have every right to call you out for the crazy things you do.

a sub conversation I'd like to talk about is the role the church has played..or rather the lack of role the church has played over the past 50 years in setting the culture of community. Churches have allowed themselves to become little islands within their castle walls. What I would like to see is more churches tearing down their protective barriers and interacting with their neighbors in relevant ways and set an example of caring just to care about people; be vulnerable because that is how we learn and change....so that people can learn and change.

anyway, another time.

you know what, even though i've never been very religious i'd 100% agree with you on this. I think that it's exactly what you're talking about that put me off from the church to begin with. They preach one thing, this caring for others, etc. but i rarely see it in action. if they did what you suggest i think it'd be a much needed turnaround.

this is odd... in one morning i've agreed with both Kap and PA... what's going on?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Reddy @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 02:06 PM)
you know what, even though i've never been very religious i'd 100% agree with you on this. I think that it's exactly what you're talking about that put me off from the church to begin with. They preach one thing, this caring for others, etc. but i rarely see it in action. if they did what you suggest i think it'd be a much needed turnaround.

this is odd... in one morning i've agreed with both Kap and PA... what's going on?

see, we're not all bad :lol:

At church I'm the rebel who doesn't stop questioning old traditions, on soxtalk I'm the fundementalist.

talk about perspective ;)

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 01:16 PM)
see, we're not all bad :lol:

At church I'm the rebel who doesn't stop questioning old traditions, on soxtalk I'm the fundementalist.

talk about perspective ;)

touche, salesman.

Jenks...there are just as many people who come from divorced or single parent families that are well-mannered. Like me for example. There's this old saying about having a license to drive, but not a license to parent. It's true. Not that I'm condoning that, but it starts from the family. Not the church, any church, not society, not movies, tv, music, etc. It's all about the people closest to you. Parent, guardian, grandparent, close uncle, good friend.

To me, God has nothing to do with this tragedy at NIU.

I think that the degredation of religion in the eyes of many is a contributing factor in the decay of civilization.

This is funny coming from a guy who goes out of his way to look up and mock the littlest story about a muslim law, such as male vegetables next to female ones.

Anyone blaming this event on a lack of God in the public classroom should be embarrased of themselves and stop sending money to Pat Robertson and the 700 club. There's never been a shooting or violent act based on religion or in a religous place? Could've fooled me.

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 06:31 PM)
This is funny coming from a guy who goes out of his way to look up and mock the littlest story about a muslim law, such as male vegetables next to female ones.

Anyone blaming this event on a lack of God in the public classroom should be embarrased of themselves and stop sending money to Pat Robertson and the 700 club. There's never been a shooting or violent act based on religion or in a religous place? Could've fooled me.

There's a damn big difference between God and religion. I never mentioned religion. Religion is man using the name of God to achieve his own agenda. Including Pat Robertson.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 10:47 PM)
There's a damn big difference between God and religion. I never mentioned religion. Religion is man using the name of God to achieve his own agenda. Including Pat Robertson.

At it's worst, you are sadly too correct. At it's best, religion can work miracles.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 11:01 PM)
Agreed. But when it's all said and done, it's the people that determine this.

Yes indeed. And in most Churches it will be a handful of people who will determine it for the group. Amazing when a spirit catches hold of a congregation. Powerful stuff. I believe faith is meant to be shared.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 11:09 PM)
Yes indeed. And in most Churches it will be a handful of people who will determine it for the group. Amazing when a spirit catches hold of a congregation. Powerful stuff. I believe faith is meant to be shared.

But only when surrounded by people who have the same POV. Any other time, the mention of God is 'inappropriate'.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Feb 16, 2008 -> 09:15 AM)
Nice little exchange Tex and Yas. I enjoyed it a lot.

It's really quite an interesting situation with me and Tex. He comes at things from the left, I come at them from the right. But, we agree on more than I am comfortable with. LOL

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 16, 2008 -> 12:01 PM)
I am perfectly comfortable. :lol: I realize that both ends of the political spectrum can read the same passage and arrive at totally different meanings

That sounds like the beginning of a Democratic nanny state :D

I think Jesus would have been considered a liberal today, but the GOP has grabbed that card and painted him a conservative. And we're both right correct :lol:

but he was also a libertarian.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 16, 2008 -> 11:01 AM)
I am perfectly comfortable. :lol: I realize that both ends of the political spectrum can read the same passage and arrive at totally different meanings

That sounds like the beginning of a Democratic nanny state :D

I think Jesus would have been considered a liberal today, but the GOP has grabbed that card and painted him a conservative. And we're both right correct :lol:

Are you going to go through every thread on soxtalk and mock this s***? Let it the hell go already.

Here's a site that links God to the shootings

http://blogs.godhatesamerica.com/

Dear Northern Today (Northern Illinois University) Editor,

The only thing anyone is talking about on campus at NIU is the shooter. The only thing anyone is talking about in this wretched land is all the horrific woes that are happening every day.

No one but us is telling you the truth.

God sent the shooter. God is laughing at your calamities (Proverbs 1:26). You have disobeyed him far too long – now it is time for God to open his armory and deal with you (Jeremiah 50:25). No other words apply; any other words are a lie.

The college campuses of Doomed america are overflowing with impudent, arrogant, immodest, self-indulgent brats. They are the generation raised to mock God, his standard, and his messengers, by the parents, teachers, “preachers” and “leaders” of Doomed america. They taught them to despise the word of God. They taught them it’s OK to be gay. They taught them to fornicate like there’s no tomorrow. They taught them that divorce and remarriage is lovely, when God said it is adultery. They taught them to be greedy idolaters, and anything they want, pursue it with both fists.

You can see the violent face of these undisciplined beasts in their reaction. Our phones are ringing off the hook and e-mail in-boxes filling up with their filthy violent words. They immediately mobilized to produce a video where they issue threats of warning to God’s prophets, see

. (The little heathen need to get over themselves. We will be there when you put on a public pretense of mourning, and call it what it is – you’re raging against God. The prophets of God speak to current events, with plain words of truth. Those snot-nosed urchins came along way too late in the game to think they have any power over God’s prophets.)

Adding insult to injury, you pile up so-called “clergy” on your campuses, so now when you’re in crisis, big-mouth females emerge calling themselves preachers. They are the picture of this verse: “For they have healed the hurt of the daughter of my people slightly, saying, Peace, peace; when there is no peace,” Jeremiah 8:11. If it’s not a crop-haired pushy woman – who has no Bible basis whatsoever calling herself a preacher – it’s some simpering coward of a “man,” or some out-of-the-closet f**. Great comfort at this hour – NOT! They have no answers and no explanations. We do! God sent the shooter! Stop sinning, and they’ll stop shooting.

This nation has made proud sin its mores. At every level in every major institution – especially the education system – this nation lifts its middle finger to God, and literally expects him to wink, nod and heel to their depraved wills. It’s grotesque beyond description in how wrong it all is. Every human is duty bound to fear, obey and keep the commandments of God. None of you are doing it. Your so-called “Christianity” is an ugly shiny pink flower purse that you swing around on your arm, on your way to fornicate, commit adultery, engage in homosexuality, and worship your idols. Ugh!

The fact is, if any of you ever cracked a Bible open for just one short minute, you’d find a simple and crystal clear standard: If you obey God, he will bless you; if you disobey him, he will curse you. As to this nation, Doomed america is your name, proud vulgar sin is your game. You disobey God with every breath you take.

So now, God has sent the shooter. There is an epidemic of shooters in this nation. All the gun nuts are screaming for everyone to arm themselves. Soon, it will be one giant shoot out – on campuses, in restaurants, at the movies, at the sports events, in the churches, and on the streets. Blood flowing; talking heads yammering; false prophets lying; doom, doom, doom!

That is what you call the curse of God.

If you have the slightest bit of genuine compassion for the children on that campus, tell them the truth. Tell them if they get in sackcloth and ashes, shut their me-centered mouths, get a Bible, read it, and obey it, this will stop.

You won’t; they won’t; the destruction is drawing nigh. “Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters,” Revelation 14:7.

God sent the shooter.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Feb 16, 2008 -> 08:37 PM)
I guess I missed that part.

The point was made earlier by YAS that he and I come at things from the left and right but agree on a lot of stuff. I was merely pointing out that we can view Jesus as a GOP, REP, or, as PA pointed out, a Libertarian. I seriously did not mean to offend you or mock your earlier comments.