School Shooting and Guns

StrangeSox

QUOTE(Reddy @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 11:51 AM)
wow. so what are they doing that we're not?

It's a social and cultural issue. Canada has more guns per capita but less crime. Guns are not the cause, they are a tool. People are the cause. Banning guns doesn't address the root issues of the problems.

Britain banned guns, so knife crime increased. Now they want to ban knives. If people still want to hurt each other, they'll find a way, and then they'll try to ban that.

Edited by StrangeSox

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 11:54 AM)
It's a social and cultural issue. Canada has more guns per capita but less crime. Guns are not the cause, they are a tool. People are the cause. Banning guns doesn't address the root issues of the problems.

Britain banned guns, so knife crime increased. Now they want to ban knives. If people still want to hurt each other, they'll find a way, and then they'll try to ban that.

but gun deaths are exceptionally lower in GB. and so knife crime could increase - you can't kill an auditorium of people with a knife.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 11:57 AM)
good point. yeah i dunno.

hey how bout this - require that all guns be made with grips that store your fingerprint so that you know who's used/registered to the gun. then people would think twice about committing a crime with it cuz they'd ID you in a heartbeat. i was kinda kidding at first but that'd be a pretty good idea... lol

clearly you haven't seen Judge Dredd

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 12:33 PM)
maybe they don't emerse their kids in a culture of violence which desentizises people to its reality in daily life.

[tries for a third offshoot thread]

That's sort of what i said way back on the first page. Bad parenting, violent tv, movies and games, no church, it all contributes.

edit. Sorry, it was way back on the other thread before they separated.

Edited by Alpha Dog

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 12:47 PM)
That's sort of what i said way back on the first page. Bad parenting, violent tv, movies and games, no church, it all contributes.

you know what... when i was younger i always avidly fought the idea that video games led to actual violence... but now, thinking about it, you have to admit there's a correlation.

lately we've seen new horror movies coming out a couple times a month glorifying all this violence. it's halloween all year round. I mean, you think about the Saw series, and the draw is "oh my god how's he gonna kill them next? what kind of f*cked up, twisted thing will he think of next!!!? and we're sucked into it. We glorify these things.

All in all, our culture truly is desensitizing kids to violence and that may very well play a role... in fact, probably a big one.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 02:16 PM)
you know what... when i was younger i always avidly fought the idea that video games led to actual violence... but now, thinking about it, you have to admit there's a correlation.

lately we've seen new horror movies coming out a couple times a month glorifying all this violence. it's halloween all year round. I mean, you think about the Saw series, and the draw is "oh my god how's he gonna kill them next? what kind of f*cked up, twisted thing will he think of next!!!? and we're sucked into it. We glorify these things.

All in all, our culture truly is desensitizing kids to violence and that may very well play a role... in fact, probably a big one.

violence, sex, etc.

People see that they don't have to try when marriages get hard, so why does is surprise us that there are so many divorces?

people just don't care, don't want to try, and don't have accountability around them.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 09:08 AM)
Sometimes, the constituency needs protection from the government. The government is not all-knowing or all-wise. It is often corrupt, stupid, incompetent, and greedy. The first step in confiscating every weapon is registering and tracking every weapon.

And yet...there are so many people out there who want to trust the same all knowing, all wise government with the right to read every one of these posts, every one of my emails, and every one of my phone calls, without even requiring a warrant. Kinda strange isn't it?

Sorry for the thread hijack.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 03:53 PM)
And yet...there are so many people out there who want to trust the same all knowing, all wise government with the right to read every one of these posts, every one of my emails, and every one of my phone calls, without even requiring a warrant. Kinda strange isn't it?

read my mail, just know that I'll shoot back when you come looking for me :D

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 02:53 PM)

Yea, cause they care about all this s***. I bet they will come knockin' on my door tonight because I said, screw the government.

And by that same token, there are so many people out there who want to trust the same all knowing, all wise government with every right to provide our health care, get control of all the records relating to health care, and decide who gets treated and who doesn't because it might "cost too much".

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 02:58 PM)
Yea, cause they care about all this s***. I bet they will come knockin' on my door tonight because I said, screw the government.

And by that same token, there are so many people out there who want to trust the same all knowing, all wise government with every right to provide our health care, get control of all the records relating to health care, and decide who gets treated and who doesn't because it might "cost too much".

And our tax code, and our corporations, and our retirement, and our ethics...

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 04:03 PM)
What we need are more guns, 150 guns in that room would have stopped that gunman. Imagine 150 students pulling weapons and shooting that bastard. Pity the poor kid who shoots last, nothing left to hit :lol:

or idiot seeking bullets.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 03:05 PM)
And our tax code, and our corporations, and our retirement, and our ethics...

Yep. Exactly. See, that's all ok, because it benefits ALL of us... uh huh, but damn we do anything to intercept communications because terrorists have rights, too...

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 03:13 PM)
but damn we do anything to intercept communications because terrorists have rights, too...

The best way to keep the terrorists from stealing our rights is to give them up! :headbang Why can't people understand that? Innocent until proven guilty does not work, if the cops think you are guilty, you lose all rights. That's when we are really safe.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 03:03 PM)
What we need are more guns, 150 guns in that room would have stopped that gunman. Imagine 150 students pulling weapons and shooting that bastard. Pity the poor kid who shoots last, nothing left to hit :lol:

I stand to shot the shooter and the guy behind me does the same thing taking my head off.

This was the story line if there is a gun fight and the cops show up how do you know who is the good guy and who is the bad guy when everyone has their weapons drawn and is firing?

I heard a really good line about gun legislation. You can not legislate crazy.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 03:15 PM)
The best way to keep the terrorists from stealing our rights is to give them up! :headbang Why can't people understand that? Innocent until proven guilty does not work, if the cops think you are guilty, you lose all rights. That's when we are really safe.

Yep, because holy s***, I've given up my right to say what I think in public now because it's in electronic form! OMG! I better just shut this board down, sorry Jas. :lolhitting

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 04:15 PM)

maybe if we gave teh terrorists welfare checks and sponge baths they'd be happy?

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Feb 15, 2008 -> 06:47 PM)

yeah not like the huge church-going population in Europe

Violence??? Sex???

Have you seen Japanese movies? Anime? I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I'm just saying some of the same s*** and maybe even worse happens in other countries and from the stats posted before...Japanese people aren't going around shooting people at the same rate.

Education, education, education. Change the culture...that's the only way.