Jerry Owens goal 65 SBs

southsider2k5

Well in fairness, he didn't just throw that number out there. He said he believes in setting higher goals each year and last year he combined for 55 between AAA and the big club, so this year he is shooting for 65. Also he has added 10lbs of muscle. I don't think he needed the muscle as much as he needed to learn how to get on base.

I'm certain some stat head has done this, but for example, what would have been Pods Slugging % if you credited him with a double on all his SBs and took away any singles when he was caught? By brain starts to hurt figuring that out, but I think it would be interesting.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 08:41 AM)
Owens goal this year is for 65 stolen bases... Let's hear the love! :lol:

Willie Harris made the same type of prediction at Soxfest a few years back. How did that work out.

I hope that Owens is our 4th OF and Quentin is in LF. If Owens our leadoff guy then Ozzie BSd everyone with his OBP hype and really wanted his bantam weight track star who cant get on base.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 02:41 PM)
Owens goal this year is for 65 stolen bases... Let's hear the love! :lol:

65 SB???? Who does he think he is??? Rudy Law???????

As most said....if he could get on base enough, 65 would be awesome

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 09:20 AM)
I'm certain some stat head has done this, but for example, what would have been Pods Slugging % if you credited him with a double on all his SBs and took away any singles when he was caught? By brain starts to hurt figuring that out, but I think it would be interesting.

I've asked this before. I believe I was told that there is a stat called Total Average that incorporates steals/caught stealings, but I've still never seen Pods or anyone else's numbers for this. I'd be interested in seeing a stat that can incorporate batting, basestealing, and base running.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 10:20 AM) I'm certain some stat head has done this, but for example, what would have been Pods Slugging % if you credited him with a double on all his SBs and took away any singles when he was caught? By brain starts to hurt figuring that out, but I think it would be interesting.

Year Real SLG "Adjusted" SLG Δ
2005 .349 .420 .071
2006 .353 .393 .040
2007 .369 .402 .033

But a stolen base does not move anybody over

Edited by 3E8

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 11:50 AM)
He better not get enough plate appearances to get anywhere close to 65 SBs, unless its at AAA.

precisely.

But I would love to see him set the record for most stolen bases with fewest plate appearances. Leave the getting on base to the good hitters, and let Owens pinch run if it's late and close.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 12:50 PM)
He better not get enough plate appearances to get anywhere close to 65 SBs, unless its at AAA.

But the other side to that statement is, if he is close to or surpasses 65 SB doesnt that mean he probably is getting on at a rate that wouldnt make it a bad thing for him to have a lot of ABs?

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 01:32 PM)
But the other side to that statement is, if he is close to or surpasses 65 SB doesnt that mean he probably is getting on at a rate that wouldnt make it a bad thing for him to have a lot of ABs?

Vince Coleman stole 107 bases with a .301 OBP in 1986. And more recently, Podsednik stole 70 bases with a .313 OBP, as has been brought up in this thread once already.

It's almost assured of being a bad thing if Owens has anywhere close to 65 SBs, and he is good enough at stealing and will run enough that he could probably steal 65 bases while getting on at a .320 clip and slugging a massive .350.

I want nothing to do with Owens near the top of the lineup nor starting in CF. He is not a good player, and he needs to show that he can hit for some sort of power or ridiculous average before he should be called up again.

Also, another thing to consider when making "adjusted slugging percentages" is how it affects their OBP as well; if a stolen base counts as an "extra total base," then a caught stealing counts as a regular out.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 10:47 AM)
Willie Harris made the same type of prediction at Soxfest a few years back. How did that work out.

I hope that Owens is our 4th OF and Quentin is in LF. If Owens our leadoff guy then Ozzie BSd everyone with his OBP hype and really wanted his bantam weight track star who cant get on base.

'

I really don't understand all these people saying Owens should be the 4th OF. Do you really think a winning team can have Nick Swisher in CF? I don't. I want Owens out there every day because he can chase balls in the gap. Swisher will let them drop for doubles. Whatever offensive issues Owens has will be made up for by the balls he chases down. I want him starting - and batting 9th - every day. Let Quentin come off the bench this year and take over for Dye next year.

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 12:50 PM)
'

I really don't understand all these people saying Owens should be the 4th OF. Do you really think a winning team can have Nick Swisher in CF? I don't. I want Owens out there every day because he can chase balls in the gap. Swisher will let them drop for doubles. Whatever offensive issues Owens has will be made up for by the balls he chases down. I want him starting - and batting 9th - every day. Let Quentin come off the bench this year and take over for Dye next year.

April fool's day is still over a month away.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 12:48 PM)
Therefore a single and a stolen base can not be equal to 2 TB.

...when someone is on first base ahead of that hitter, and to a somewhat lesser degree, second base.

So, we can give someone 2 TB for a double based on the possibility knocking runners in or moving them ahead (56% of at bats were with no one on base in '07), but we aren't giving hitters any credit for their ability to score once on base through superior base stealing or base running. Mike Cameron went 1st to 3rd on a single 15 of 22 times; Todd Helton did 5 out of 42 times.