Official 2008-2009 NFL Thread

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 2, 2009 -> 11:03 AM)
I've heard, but have not confirmed, that they actually did review the play quickly but the TV crew dropped the ball. But I'm not completely buying it since a review takes at least a couple minutes to make sure it's right.

That would be NFL bs.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 2, 2009 -> 09:03 AM)
I've heard, but have not confirmed, that they actually did review the play quickly but the TV crew dropped the ball. But I'm not completely buying it since a review takes at least a couple minutes to make sure it's right.

I'm sure that it was reviewed...in the replay booth. They decided it wasn't going to get overturned there/that it was clear cut enough that the ref didn't need to go under the hood.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Feb 2, 2009 -> 07:17 AM)
I also noticed all of these things. From what I can remember, it was the worst called Superbowl I've ever seen. It reminded me of every single Patriots Superbowl win with every call going against the opposing team and every break going for New England.

I think there's a different way to look at it...the refs might have made or missed a couple calls, but overall, it was a really poorly played game, by both sides. For every penalty that was questionably called (the big one in my eyes was the roughing the passer) there was another one or two that weren't called. Arizona in particular really cost themselves with the holding calls. I think it was more a poorly played game than a poorly officiated game. At this level, you can't put the game in the hands of the officials.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 2, 2009 -> 11:46 AM)
I think there's a different way to look at it...the refs might have made or missed a couple calls, but overall, it was a really poorly played game, by both sides. For every penalty that was questionably called (the big one in my eyes was the roughing the passer) there was another one or two that weren't called. Arizona in particular really cost themselves with the holding calls. I think it was more a poorly played game than a poorly officiated game. At this level, you can't put the game in the hands of the officials.

agreed. After the roughing the passer penalty, Arizona's D stopped them for a FG and Adrian Wilson ran over the holder and gave them a 1st down again. There was a ton of boneheaded actions by both teams and officials last night

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 2, 2009 -> 11:03 AM)

I had NFL Gamecast pulled up and it did say "play under review."

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 2, 2009 -> 12:46 PM)

I noticed the Steeler OL was holding a lot, because they were getting their asses handed to them every other play. That was some really atrocious play, the Steelers' OL is horrible but Ben covered for them as usual. If Ben doesn't slip all those tackles the way he is capable, the Steelers lose that game.

Harrison got held a couple times too. But really there's holding in every game so I don't complain about those non-calls. Really what gets me mad is the roughing the passer calls, ugh do I hate that.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Feb 2, 2009 -> 10:25 AM)
I noticed the Steeler OL was holding a lot, because they were getting their asses handed to them every other play. That was some really atrocious play, the Steelers' OL is horrible but Ben covered for them as usual. If Ben doesn't slip all those tackles the way he is capable, the Steelers lose that game.

Harrison got held a couple times too. But really there's holding in every game so I don't complain about those non-calls. Really what gets me mad is the roughing the passer calls, ugh do I hate that.

I'll agree with you on that call, but frankly, it was no where near the worst example of that call that we've seen. They over-call that foul whether it's correct or not, and defenders need to keep it in mind.

Yeah I really hope they rework the roughing the passer penalty. I do think it is important to protect the QB's of the league, but over the season it gets ridiculous on some of the ticky tack s*** they call it on. Also Id rework roughing the kicker penalty too, half the time you can tell the kicker puts on an act job and its a penalty anyways.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Feb 2, 2009 -> 10:49 AM)
Yeah I really hope they rework the roughing the passer penalty. I do think it is important to protect the QB's of the league, but over the season it gets ridiculous on some of the ticky tack s*** they call it on. Also Id rework roughing the kicker penalty too, half the time you can tell the kicker puts on an act job and its a penalty anyways.

There used to be the ol' 5 yard running in to the kicker option, but they recently got rid of that, so that basically, you can't touch the kicker, and even if it is an acting job, you can't touch the kicker.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 2, 2009 -> 01:30 PM)
I'll agree with you on that call, but frankly, it was no where near the worst example of that call that we've seen. They over-call that foul whether it's correct or not, and defenders need to keep it in mind.

Normally what the defenders do is reach out and grab the QBs shoulders while slowing down or wrap him up to steady themselves, and the refs won't call it that. In the one from this game, he was slowing down (couldn't stop obviously) and gave Ben a little push, IIRC. It wasn't intentional and I wish the refs would at least make a half-assed attempt to recognize the distinction between blatant late hits and Newton's laws.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 2, 2009 -> 12:52 PM)
There used to be the ol' 5 yard running in to the kicker option, but they recently got rid of that, so that basically, you can't touch the kicker, and even if it is an acting job, you can't touch the kicker.

Right which is ridiculous, they are playing the game of football. I understand the kicker/QB needs some protection but just not to the extent they are recieving.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 2, 2009 -> 01:35 PM)
Springstein's balls vs. camera.

I’m going to say something controversial here, but I didn’t think too much of his performance last night. He looked like he was having a ball (so did his balls), but the voice, the music just wasn’t there for me.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 2, 2009 -> 01:07 PM)
I’m going to say something controversial here, but I didn’t think too much of his performance last night. He looked like he was having a ball (so did his balls), but the voice, the music just wasn’t there for me.

The Halftime show hasn't been there for me period since the NFL got scared and decided to start have acts over the age of 40 & male.

Here is an odd Super Bowl story from Rotoworld:

Matt Cassel-QB-Patriots Feb. 2 - 2:53 pm et

According to a gossip column in the NY Daily News, Matt Cassel was urinated on in the bathroom during the Super Bowl.

An intoxicated man allegedly tried to cut in front of Cassel at the Raymond James Stadium urinals. After Cassel told the drunk to wait his turn, the man "barged in and proceeded to purposefully pee directly" on Cassel's leg. Security tossed the liquored-up individual, but Cassel was forced to return to his seats with smelly wet pants. He'll surely be able to replace them with what's set up to be an exceptionally lucrative offseason.

Source: New York Daily News