Official 2008-2009 NFL Thread

I figured i'd make one of these to keep track of everything that happens in the off season and discuss it separate from making threads everytime something happens. It can be about free agency, the combine, the draft, mini-camp, whatever...

Anyways, a quick recap of some significant things so far:

Trufant (SEA), Haynesworth (TEN), Allen (KC) all franchised

D. Clark signed to a 6-yr extension

Z. Thomas cut by MIA, rumored to have been offered a contract by NE

Keyshawn Johnson mulling a comeback

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 09:10 PM)
Ken Hamlin got franchised. Means Flozell "The Hotel" Adams will now hit FA. Would be a decent target for the Bears on a 3 year contract.

Now if only we could get rid of Roy Williams somehow.

We'll give you Archuletta for him straight up

Glad my packers franchised Corey Williams.

Bubba needed to go as tight end so using it on Corey was the right choice gives a number of options but I would love to keep him he made some big plays and I like the depth at DT. If only Harrell could develop :(

The Cowboys take a big cap hit by releasing Williams.

Unfortunately Jerry Jones made the mistake in re-signing him.

If you're a safety in the NFL today, you HAVE to be able to cover. It doesn't matter how good you are in the box, and in run support, you have to be able to cover.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 23, 2008 -> 02:58 AM)
The Cowboys take a big cap hit by releasing Williams.

Unfortunately Jerry Jones made the mistake in re-signing him.

If you're a safety in the NFL today, you HAVE to be able to cover. It doesn't matter how good you are in the box, and in run support, you have to be able to cover.

It doesnt make the guys like Roy Williams look good when there are guys like Polamalu, Sanders and Reed in the league who can cover and stop the run.

Wade Phillips has got his Donnie Edwards in Zach Thomas now.

I'd guess Akin Ayodele will still be on the field for the majority of 1st and 2nd downs, but Thomas will play about 30% of those snaps, and definitely play on 3rd down.

If he stays healthy, I like the signing.

Hmmmm;

There’s a rumor gaining steam in the threads, apparently seen on ESPN (can anybody confirm?) that would break down like this:

Dallas gives up:

pick 22

it’s 4th rounder, 122nd

Anthony Henry

Akin Ayodele

Atlanta would give up:

D’Angelo Hall

the 37th pick (6th in round two)

the 48th pick (17th in round two)

Consider this: Akin Ayodele played at Jacksonville as a 4-3 OLB for defensive coordinator Mike Smith. The same Mike Smith who is Atlanta’s new head coach.

I tend to take rumors like this with a grain of salt, but this one appears to have a bit more juice than most.

Stay turned.

Update: Fox Sports’ Jay Glazer says the Cowboys have reached a deal with LB Zach Thomas. This most likely ends the tenure of Akin Ayodele as a Dallas ILB.

The Cowboys active pursuit of Thomas says they were not happy with their ILB play. Ayodele became a blocking magnet and had tremendous difficulty disengaging or avoiding centers and guards, a must in the 3-4 system.

Thomas is smallish, but Wade Phillips’ Chargers defenses proved a player Thomas size could thrive; Donnie Edwards racked up scores of tackles playing at 227 lbs. when stacked behind mammoth NT Jamal Williams.

To keep the mental and logical dominoes falling, Dallas may have depth at NT with Jay Ratliff, Tank Williams and the rehabbing Jason Ferguson, but if Phillips wants to replicate his Chargers’ scheme, don’t be surprised if the Cowboys look for a mammoth NT in the middle rounds. I know they’ve spent time talking to Texas A&M DT/NT Red Bryant, one of the bigger D-lineman in this year’s draft.