Official 2008-2009 NFL Thread

QUOTE(JFields27 @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 03:59 PM)
I dont know if this is anywhere -- Moose signed back with the Panthers, interesting

Didnt see that. That gives the Panthers a big target to distract teams from keying so heavily on Steve Smith now. If Colbert can live up to his potential, the Panthers could have a pretty decent offense next season.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 04:03 PM)
Didnt see that. That gives the Panthers a big target to distract teams from keying so heavily on Steve Smith now. If Colbert can live up to his potential, the Panthers could have a pretty decent offense next season.

Supposedly Carolina's not bringing Colbert back.

Cowboys re-signed Flozell "The Hotel" Adams to a 6 year deal.

My guess is he'll play 3 or 4, and then either retire or be cut.

Crucial signing for the O-Line, but cap-wise we're going to have issues.

And Terence Newman and DeMarcus Ware are going to both want to be paid next off-season IIRC.

Could end up being a costly signing, but one I think we had to make, considering the alternatives.

I know both the Dolphins and Bears were going to target him if he hit FA.

Also Yahoo Sports had a report saying the Bears are pretty much certain to lose Briggs, Berrian and their top special teams guy.

That's quite a bit of talent they'd be losing there.

I'm not sure that team is a playoff team for next season.

They'd need massive upgrades at RB, WR and OL, and to find a quality replacement for Briggs, to do so. I don't know if they can do that all in 1 off-season in a weak FA class.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 28, 2008 -> 06:46 PM)
Also Yahoo Sports had a report saying the Bears are pretty much certain to lose Briggs, Berrian and their top special teams guy.

That's quite a bit of talent they'd be losing there.

I'm not sure that team is a playoff team for next season.

They'd need massive upgrades at RB, WR and OL, and to find a quality replacement for Briggs, to do so. I don't know if they can do that all in 1 off-season in a weak FA class.

They can't do that in FA. But thankfully they don't have to. They have 2 potential replacements for Briggs waiting from their last 2 drafts. And They at least have a trio of RB's, whether they like them or not.

The team needs upgrades at O-Line and could certainly justify bringing in another receiver or two. Beyond that, anything else I consider to be less than necessity. I refuse to grade guys like Benson or Wolfe last year based on their performance because the O-Line was simply so bad.

The team needs an O-Line overhaul, not just upgrades. If Benson fails behind an upgraded O-Line, then a RB replacement makes sense in the 09 draft once the cap hit from Benson has passed.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 28, 2008 -> 09:53 PM)
I refuse to grade guys like Benson or Wolfe last year based on their performance because the O-Line was simply so bad. If Benson fails behind an upgraded O-Line, then a RB replacement makes sense in the 09 draft once the cap hit from Benson has passed.

Adrian Peterson seemed okay with that O-Line. Four out of his last 5 games with significant touches, he got 3 yards a carry.

/yes the O-Line was bad but you're giving Benson a free pass IMO.

QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 28, 2008 -> 10:57 PM)
They weren't a playoff team last year with them.

The Titans really aren't any better, other than the fact that they have an offensive line. Sure VY can scramble, but he still can't pass and he has no receivers. All you need is an OLine to be effective offensively; the 2006 and 2007 Bears provided the perfect examples for that.

And Benson is given a free pass because he was really a very good back last year when the Bears' OLine played well; when it played terribly, he played terribly. It may be a coincidence, but I don't quite buy that.

QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 28, 2008 -> 08:59 PM)
Adrian Peterson seemed okay with that O-Line. Four out of his last 5 games with significant touches, he got 3 yards a carry.

/yes the O-Line was bad but you're giving Benson a free pass IMO.

Dude, 3 yards a carry isn't exactly good. And that's what Benson was averaging. 3.4 yards a carry for both of them over the season.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 12:25 PM)
Dude, 3 yards a carry isn't exactly good. And that's what Benson was averaging. 3.4 yards a carry for both of them over the season.

I never said that Peterson was the answer, but he got those 3 yd/carry games and 100 yard game when the O-Line was at its worst.

Benson had less than 3 yards a carry in 5 of his 11 games, getting 100 yards once. And, for the most part, those games were with a healthy O-Line.

QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 29, 2008 -> 10:03 AM)
I never said that Peterson was the answer, but he got those 3 yd/carry games and 100 yard game when the O-Line was at its worst.

Benson had less than 3 yards a carry in 5 of his 11 games, getting 100 yards once. And, for the most part, those games were with a healthy O-Line.

Dude, simply saying that the O-Line was healthy early in the season doesn't mean they weren't playing like garbage.