Official 2008-2009 NFL Thread

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Question for Bears fans.

McFadden sounds as if he's got some serious character issues, and he's slipping.

Atlanta probably ain't going to take him at #3, who knows what the Raiders will do at #4.

My question is, if he's there at #14, do you take him?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 12:27 AM)
Question for Bears fans.

McFadden sounds as if he's got some serious character issues, and he's slipping.

Atlanta probably ain't going to take him at #3, who knows what the Raiders will do at #4.

oh, hell yeah, but i have a hard time seeing that happen.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 12:27 AM)
Question for Bears fans.

I don't buy the character issues at all. I think it's more likely a team with a higher pick is throwing this out there in order to hope he falls a few spots.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 24, 2008 -> 06:27 PM)
Question for Bears fans.

6'1 211 running a 4.33

After what Adrian Peterson did last year I seriously doubt McFadden slips anywhere

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 24, 2008 -> 09:47 PM)
McFadden's not as good of a prospect as Peterson though I've heard.

I guess we'll wait and see.

Hmm I dont know about that.. Peterson had injury concerns when he came out, ide say they are at least of the same calibur right now

I cant see McFadden falling that far. He's an excellent runner, has good vision, can break tackles with his strength, obviously is very fast, he can catch, hell he can even throw the ball, and hes just a smart player. The only thing that could hurt him are these supposed atttude problems, but i have not heard any substantial comments on that. He could fall a little due to teams not needing him, but i would be shocked if he wasnt in the top 7 picks.

Exactly. Which is why Mendenhall, who possesses everything else you look for in a back, posting a sub 4.4 is awesome.

Except that he played in a spread option offense, with zone read as his primary running play.

To my knowledge almost no team in the NFL runs the zone read, so Mendenhall is like a frosh in college in terms of RB scheme development. Since he did not play in a pro-style running offense it is possible that it will take Mendenhall the longest time to adjust to the NFL.

That is why, regardless of how well he does at the combine, he will be looked at some what suspiciously.

His time in the 40 is what I expected, if he would have run worse than a 4.5 he would have probably fallen out of the first round entirely.

Would the Pats rather a 3-4 OLB or a CB to replace Asante Samuel if he leaves though?

And what teams would realistically trade up for McFadden at this point?

My guess would be Carolina, maybe Seattle, the Texans and the Cardinals.

And I wouldn't count out the Bears either.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 06:33 PM)
Would the Pats rather a 3-4 OLB or a CB to replace Asante Samuel if he leaves though?

And what teams would realistically trade up for McFadden at this point?

My guess would be Carolina, maybe Seattle, the Texans and the Cardinals.

And I wouldn't count out the Bears either.

Pats will draft Talib and I will have to start cheering for them.

QUOTE(Shadows @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 01:31 PM)
Dallas

I don't care what Jerry Jones says, hes interested

Well I disagree, because of this main point.

Dallas can't really afford to pay a signing bonus for a top 10 ATM.

They're going to place 1st and 3rd tenders on Barber and Canty, and that'll cost 5M. Signing Thomas eats up another 1-2M in cap room, and they only about 12M before this off-season.

So they'll probably have to restructure a few contracts or maybe make some releases (Ferguson, Ayodele).

But I guess we'll wait and see.

I'd rather draft a RB in the 2nd round, and get help at CB and a big nose tackle in round 1 (or a good young WR).

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Feb 24, 2008 -> 06:42 PM)
oh, hell yeah, but i have a hard time seeing that happen.

No doubt in my mind. In fact I think that all three running backs mentioned will make a better impact than the top two picks being discussed right now (Long and Gholston). McFadden is going to be a very good game changing back, and I think Mendenhall will be as well. He should be a good sleeper as his offensive scheme and his conference may make him slip. I still think the Bears reach for a QB or take an o-line guy.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 03:41 AM)
Not really a ringing endorsement is it.

You've got to have some mobility as a QB to make it in the NFL nowadays.

Well, if you define "Some" mobility as "more mobile than Drew Bledsoe was in his last few years" I'll agree with you. But there's no reason why most QB's that haven't totally lost their legs can't learn to make that step. Just watch guys like Manning, Brady, and to a lesser extent guys like Palmer, Brees, etc. One of the things that makes them so good as passers isn't that they're scrambling out of the pocket every time there's pressure on them...it's that they make their O-Line better by feeling the pressure before it gets to them and taking a few steps in the opposite direction to buy an extra second or two. Unless you're Drew Bledsoe, you can do that. Not every QB has to be Tony Romo/Michael Vick on a scramble to be effective.

That said...I still would prefer the Bears resign Grossman and maybe wait until the 3rd/4th round or even next year if they're thinking of taking a QB.