Sox sign Tomo Ohka

chisox2334

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 05:58 AM)
There is no way he can be serious... That would leave off both Massett and Wasserman, right? Ozzie has already said the starters are set in MB, JV, JC, GF, and JD, so that means he would go the pen. There must be some miscommunication somewhere.

He could replace MMac, he was not mentioned.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 08:50 AM)
Ah, good catch. I wonder if Mike really is in danger of going to Charlotte to start the season?

If Ohka is a given, then I assume MMac and Wassermann both go to AAA. That means a bullpen of Jenks, Linebrink, Dotel, Ohka, Logan, Thornton, Masset.

Sort of a shame to let a guy like Ohka get in the way of MMac or Wassermann if you ask me.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 09:58 AM)
If Ohka is a given, then I assume MMac and Wassermann both go to AAA. That means a bullpen of Jenks, Linebrink, Dotel, Ohka, Logan, Thornton, Masset.

Sort of a shame to let a guy like Ohka get in the way of MMac or Wassermann if you ask me.

If Ohka can produce, it wouldn't matter to me if he's blocking Cy Young.

MacDougal and Wassermann weren't performing well enough to stay on the mlb roster, Mac has been iffy for a few years and Wass is a ROOGy, pure and simple.

I'd find a trade partner for Ohka and go with 11 guys if I was KW.

I think that was a mistake on the writer's part. No way Ohka starts the season with the Sox unless there are injuries and trades.

The staff right now is Buehrle, Vazquez, Danks, Contreras, Floyd, Masset, Logan, MacDougal, Thornton, Linebrink, Dotel, and Jenks.

Wassermann is first in line if a move is made.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 09:30 AM)
Oh ya, I'm sure teams are just lining up to trade for Ohka.

If somehow he could come out and put up a solid ERA out of the pen for a few months, and the Sox fell out of it, then we could at least get something non-terrible for him. There's always demand for relievers at the deadline. But of course, if he could have a solid season somehow, that makes us a lot better too. He wouldn't be the first reliever pulled off the scrap heap by a team to turn in a good season.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 09:41 AM)
I am thinking that Cooper meant that Ohka would be a possibility for call up. He was talking about the lack of depth in the farm system wasn't he? I don't think he was talking about whether Ohka had a spot resrrved on the roster.

If he pitches well enough in ST to earn a roster, I see no harm in giving him the last spot for April and sending down both MMac and Wasserman. If he struggles a few times in April, then bring up whichever of the other 2 is pitching the best.

QUOTE(Princess Dye @ Mar 17, 2008 -> 09:10 AM)
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

judging from this, from the Sox site, there's no chance for him?

So Bobby Jenks, Octavio Dotel, Scott Linebrink, Matt Thornton, Boone Logan and Mike MacDougal with one spot available between:

Masset, Wasserman, Ohka, and Carrasco

With Wasserman having options remaining, it seems like he is most likely headed to Charlotte with one of the other 3 making the 25 roster. Now if Ohka signed a minor league deal, he can actually pitch in Charlotte as well, correct? They also mention this about Carrasco:

Carrasco appears to be more of a strong choice in reserve, one the White Sox can turn to at Triple-A Charlotte if Major League struggles occur.

So it seems like Masset has the inside track.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 17, 2008 -> 11:24 AM)
So it seems like Masset has the inside track.

Unless someone came in and offered KW something quite valuable for Masset right now, I'll give you a guarantee he makes the team unless his arm falls off. KW isn't going to let a guy he was so happy to trade for walk away for nothing at the start of the season.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 17, 2008 -> 01:40 PM)
Unless someone came in and offered KW something quite valuable for Masset right now, I'll give you a guarantee he makes the team unless his arm falls off. KW isn't going to let a guy he was so happy to trade for walk away for nothing at the start of the season.

Exactly. Masset still has the stuff and he's still relatively young.