AJ vs. Garland

The Ginger Kid

From the sun-times...

The "dig-me strut..." :lol:

Sox loading up for Garland

March 5, 2008

BY JOE COWLEY jcowley@suntimes.com

TUCSON, Ariz. – If Jon Garland and A.J. Pierzynski had problems co-existing for the three years they were teammates, it was news to the White Sox catcher.

He had to answer that question late in the 2006 season, when there was a rumor floating around that Garland requested to pitching coach Don Cooper that Pierzynski be traded, and he answered it again on Wednesday – two days before Pierzynski is scheduled to face off against Garland in a Friday Cactus League meeting with the Angels in Tempe, Ariz.

“I never had a problem with ‘Gar’ at all when he was here,’’ Pierzynski insisted. “I don’t know where that story came from. ‘Gar’ and I got along great. I never had a problem with him one bit, so I don’t know where that story came from or who brought it up, because I never had a problem with ‘Gar.’ ’’

Not quite the same picture that was being painted less than two years ago, when several major-league scouts had heard that the two got into it when Pierzynski felt that Garland was one of several pitchers who didn’t protect him during the beanball-fest he endured during the ’06 campaign.

The story went that after one plunking, Pierzynski asked Garland why he didn’t retaliate and was told, “My ERA is high enough,’’ resulting in a shouting match between the two.

Late in ’06, Pierzynski, Cooper and Garland discussed the matter, and while Cooper admitted that he and Pierzynski had a “animated disagreement’’ about the way Pierzynski was setting up behind the plate earlier in the season, there was never bad blood between Pierzynski and Garland.

“I don’t even remember ever having a disagreement,’’ Garland said then. “I don’t always agree with some of the stuff he does sometimes, but I don’t think half the league does either. Shouting match? I never heard of that one.’’

Even with that story put to rest, however, the idea of the current Sox players facing off against their long-time teammate is being described as “kind of weird.’’

“I can’t remember in recent memory where I faced anyone who I was really good friends with like that,’’ first baseman Paul Konerko said. “We are bringing up everyone, so we must really want to prove a point, I guess.’’

After spending eight seasons on the South Side, Garland was traded to the Angels on Nov. 19, for shortstop Orlando Cabrera. Not a real shock to anyone – including Garland – who predicted to the Sun-Times at the end of last season that he would be moved.

The Sox are loading up the roster to face Garland, especially for a split-squad game. Not only is Konerko making the trip, but so is Pierzynski, Jermaine Dye and Joe Crede.

“At the end of the day, there’s obviously going to be some [crap]-talking one way or another,’’ Konerko continued. “One way or another, there’s going to be a lot of voicemails and text messages by the end of the day on that one.’’

The one thing the Sox hitters will be prepared for is the slow walk Garland will take from the mound to the dug-out. Referred to as “the dig-me strut,’’ the slower Garland walks, the better the results were that inning.

“He’s got a couple of different gears coming off the field,’’ Konerko said. “We’ve seen that, but I’m sure he will be fired up for it. Hopefully, we take it seriously because all the guys who are here have obviously been here. He’s trying to impress his new team. He will be more on the ball than probably usual.

“It’s kind of one of those things that you just want to get it over with. You don’t want to play your old team or your old guy. You would rather just be your own separate ways. You can’t help but think it’s definitely different without him around here. You wish he was still around in a lot of ways.’’

Even if you’re Pierzynski.

“It’s not like he left here on bad terms,’’ Pierzynski added. “He had been hearing the rumors for a while, so I’m sure he was glad to get it over with too. I don’t think there were any bad terms. Plus, it’s spring training, it’s not like it’s in the playoffs ... “You wish him well [this season], you hope he does well.’’

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 10:08 PM)
Cowley being Cowley again. Trying to stir something up when nothing is there. Must be a slow news day.

IIRC Cowley was the same guy who was trying to stir crap up about Caballo after he left.

I love Garland, but he also needs to shut his mouth about him not agreeing with everything AJ does like the rest of the league.

that trade is pissing me off more and more. Every time I watch Ramirez play I keep think this guy is the real deal, and could be a great surprise at SS. Instead, we have Cabrera who is 33 and going on the downside of his career. I hated the trade at the time, and I hate it even more now.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 11:19 PM)
that trade is pissing me off more and more. Every time I watch Ramirez play I keep think this guy is the real deal, and could be a great surprise at SS. Instead, we have Cabrera who is 33 and going on the downside of his career. I hated the trade at the time, and I hate it even more now.

I will make this prediction, and somebody can sig it if they want: Jon Garland's ERA will end up north of 4.50 this year.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 11:19 PM)

It will be a good trade when Cabrera walks and we get two draft picks.

“At the end of the day, there’s obviously going to be some [crap]-talking one way or another,’’ Konerko continued. “One way or another, there’s going to be a lot of voicemails and text messages by the end of the day on that one.’’

What the hell's the point of that? You may as well just say "s***-talking" because that's obviously what he said.

Actually though, I think crap-talking is funnier. I'm gonna start saying that

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 11:41 PM)
I will make this prediction, and somebody can sig it if they want: Jon Garland's ERA will end up north of 4.50 this year.

Call me silly, but when something happens 4 of 6 years, I don't necesarily call that a bold prediction :lol:

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 6, 2008 -> 08:35 AM)
What the hell's the point of that? You may as well just say "s***-talking" because that's obviously what he said.

Actually though, I think crap-talking is funnier. I'm gonna start saying that

hey, i'm happy they used "crap." they could have said, "[feces]-talking"

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Mar 6, 2008 -> 11:01 AM)
hey, i'm happy they used "crap." they could have said, "[feces]-talking"

[poo]-talking

[fecal matter]-talking

[bowel movement]-talking

I really can't decide which of the 5 is the funniest.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 6, 2008 -> 07:12 AM)
Call me silly, but when something happens 4 of 6 years, I don't necesarily call that a bold prediction :lol:

Going from The Cell and the AL Central to the AL West and Anaheim should in theory help him a lot.

Ok, his ERA will be 5 or more. Is that better?

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 6, 2008 -> 11:11 PM)
Going from The Cell and the AL Central to the AL West and Anaheim should in theory help him a lot.

Ok, his ERA will be 5 or more. Is that better?

Well if you wanted to get to the point that you would be wrong, then yes.