Trib article today

NorthSideSox72

This article in today's Trib has a few interest notes/surprises in it. Among them...

--Uribe is a "slight favorite" for 2B

--Richar's back is not healing well

--Quentin "needs a major rebound to beat out Brian Anderson for the backup outfield spot"

--Masset and Wassermann still competing for the last pen spot

Anderson over Quentin? Seriously? Or is this just talk to boost BA's value?

I still don't get the Masset/Wassermann thing. They are not remotely comparable pitchers. I think its much more down to MacD/Wassermann, with Masset a near-lock, since he's out of options.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 11:57 AM)
This article in today's Trib has a few interest notes/surprises in it. Among them...

--Uribe is a "slight favorite" for 2B

--Richar's back is not healing well

--Quentin "needs a major rebound to beat out Brian Anderson for the backup outfield spot"

--Masset and Wassermann still competing for the last pen spot

Anderson over Quentin? Seriously? Or is this just talk to boost BA's value?

I still don't get the Masset/Wassermann thing. They are not remotely comparable pitchers. I think its much more down to MacD/Wassermann, with Masset a near-lock, since he's out of options.

Quentin hasn't been 100% physically. If it truely was/is a competition for a roster spot, BA has beaten him out to this point.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 11:59 AM)
Quentin hasn't been 100% physically. If it truely was/is a competition for a roster spot, BA has beaten him out to this point.

If he's injured, sure. But my impression was he was basically just being brought back slowly. He's back in game play today. To me, he should be the starting LF, as long as he is healthy.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 12:13 PM)
Simply amazing.

I know Richar is hurting, but Uribe being in the starting lineup is unreal.

The Sox traded one of their best chips in Garland, and used him to obtain an "upgrade for SS", because the Sox felt Uribe wasn't cutting it at 2b. Now 3 months later, Uribe is capable at being this teams starting 2b? Now you have to look at the difference between Cabrera and lets say, Iguchi, who could have been brought back very cheap this season. Is the difference in production between the two worth Garland? It just doesn't make any sense, and thats just one of the reasons.

Then there is the OF mess. Why in the hell was Quentin acquired this off-season. This organization is in NO PLACE to be dealing top end prospects for "project" type players in Quentin, which at this point he is, being behind Owens and now Anderson???? Are the Sox just bursting with prospects that they can trade on their best for a back up OF?

What the hell is going on?

If Richar's back is still hurting him enough that he can't take grounders, then I understand that Uribe is next likely at 2B. Although, I'd sort of hope that Ramirez would make a run at it.

The OF thing is what puzzles me most. As long as Quentin is healthy, I don't see how Owens or Anderson should be mentioned in the same sentence. And since Quentin was only off for a few days and starts playing again today, it seems to me he should have the inside track. Anderson can vie for a backup slot with Owens. Its very frustrating to hear this stuff about Anderson or Owens starting.

All this said, maybe Mark Gonzales is just wrong about these things. He is not the Sox, and he's been wrong before. On the other hand, sometimes they use him to get word out. Yikes.

The Sox have logjams at 2B, 3B, and OF. Isn't that better than not having any options at all? Now the Sox can at least go into the season with the best team available and look at moving others to improve the ball club.

This also gives the Sox a couple of nice trading chips at the deadline.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 12:43 PM)
No one posted this article either: http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...T-sox10.article

KW really needs to be fired, as this mess is just insane.

I read that one and sort of brushed if off as KW trying to get the upper hand in a Crede trade. I still think there is a 90% chance Crede is gone by Opening Day.

If Opening Day comes around and the team still has Crede at 3rd and Fields in Charlotte, still has Owens or Anderson over Quentin (if healthy)... then I'll be pretty upset. And I'm a pretty big Crede fan. He just doesn't fit the needs of the team right now, barring some strange happenings.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 05:47 PM)
I read that one and sort of brushed if off as KW trying to get the upper hand in a Crede trade. I still think there is a 90% chance Crede is gone by Opening Day.

If Opening Day comes around and the team still has Crede at 3rd and Fields in Charlotte, still has Owens or Anderson over Quentin (if healthy)... then I'll be pretty upset. And I'm a pretty big Crede fan. He just doesn't fit the needs of the team right now, barring some strange happenings.

I don't think Quentin is close to being 100 pct, and I think it's a big reason the Dbacks were so willing to give up oh him. I think it's more likely he's a bench player this year, and he'll be a starter come 2009. I didn't see the game yesterday, but a friend told me that Dye looked slower than ever in RF. Couple that with Swisher looking bad in CF and Orlando Cabrera looking a step slow, and he said that he's very concerned with our defense this year.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 12:49 PM)
I don't think Quentin is close to being 100 pct, and I think it's a big reason the Dbacks were so willing to give up oh him. I think it's more likely he's a bench player this year, and he'll be a starter come 2009. I didn't see the game yesterday, but a friend told me that Dye looked slower than ever in RF. Couple that with Swisher looking bad in CF and Orlando Cabrera looking a step slow, and he said that he's very concerned with our defense this year.

If Quentin really is more injured than I thought, then by all means, let him do extended ST and start in Charlotte. But let's see how he does in the next couple weeks.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 12:52 PM)
I don't get all the discontent. They have some decisions to make - so what? At least they have choices.

I agree that having some depth of choice is better than just lacking the talent. No doubt. I was just posting an article, and expressing some concern, over the apparent direction of some of those decisions.

Can't argue with injuries. Or hitting breaking balls. If Richar is hurt and Ramirez looks like Pedro Serrano at the plate and Chuck Knoblauch in the field, then he's not ready, so who does that leave?

If Quentin is hurt and Anderson is hitting well and Owens is doing alright, there you go. Just because the Sox break camp without Richar, Quentin and Fields, that doesn't mean that's the way it's going to be for long.

How is Fields a better fit then Crede? Let's see...Crede plays near GG defense, while Fields looks lost out there and Crede won the silver slugger award in '06 while Fields is yet to play a full season. By my calculations Crede is better offensively and defensively. Seams like the better fit would be the better player. I say start the season with Crede, if he's healthy offer a multi-year deal and trade Fields.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 01:08 PM)
Can't argue with injuries. Or hitting breaking balls. If Richar is hurt and Ramirez looks like Pedro Serrano at the plate and Chuck Knoblauch in the field, then he's not ready, so who does that leave?

If Quentin is hurt and Anderson is hitting well and Owens is doing alright, there you go. Just because the Sox break camp without Richar, Quentin and Fields, that doesn't mean that's the way it's going to be for long.

When exactly did Uribe learn to hit a breaking pitch. He swings at crap that bounces into the plate, he takes monsterous cuts at the plate when you need a single. He is the ultimate all or nothing player. He has decided that cakes and pie over showing up in shape in his FA year is another thing to do as well. Ramirez already shows more potential at the plate than Mr. All or Nothing. The only reason I would send him down, is for more fielding practice. But his bat already can match S&C at this point.

QUOTE(SoxWS05 @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 01:14 PM)
How is Fields a better fit then Crede? Let's see...Crede plays near GG defense, while Fields looks lost out there and Crede won the silver slugger award in '06 while Fields is yet to play a full season. By my calculations Crede is better offensively and defensively. Seams like the better fit would be the better player. I say start the season with Crede, if he's healthy offer a multi-year deal and trade Fields.

More crazy trade's from members of Crede's crew.

They tried to talk to Crede's agent who told them to bug off we want to go to FA. Yet lets trade Fields the player under control for years and keep the guy who had one good season, and sucked as a batter for the rest and is a FA.

No one posted this article either: http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...T-sox10.article

KW really needs to be fired, as this mess is just insane.

Yeah god I wish we had the Royals GM or Orioles, Rays, Jays, Rangers, A's, Pirates, Giants, Cardinals, Cubs, Nationals, Reds, Mariners, or Astros, they just seem to make all the right moves and win 90+ games every year or at least two out the the last three. Geez what has Kenny done for this organization...

QUOTE(SoxWS05 @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 01:14 PM)

Crede is going to free agency. That's been made abundantly clear. Add that to his back problems, and the fact that he's unlikely to be as good as Fields offensively, and it seems the best decision is to stick with Fields and trade Crede. Crede is done after 2008 no matter what - its just a question of if you can get something for him or not, and how much you stunt the growth of your future.

I understand the frustration, but everyone also has to understand that Kenny has traded away quite a bit of assets this past offseason, and he needs to make the most of the ones he has left to move. He's looking at a few players, namely Crede, Anderson, and Uribe, who most don't believe fit into the long term plans of this ballclub. But you cannot just give them away or not play them when they actually begin playing well.

They're going to keep riding Joe until they can get something for him. Whether that means for a few more weeks, or until May, we don't know. Fields will get his chance, but he may have to spend some time in Charlotte until someone gets desperate.

As for Anderson, I'm not sure what the fear is if he actually makes the ballclub. If Quentin still is coming back, then we've got to give him time. Rushing him isn't going to help his situation. And if Anderson can hit a bit this year, having him in center and Swisher in left doesn't sound so bad to me. I want Quentin to get the ab's too, but if he isn't ready, then there's nothing we can do but hope his replacement succeeds.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 01:16 PM)
When exactly did Uribe learn to hit a breaking pitch. He swings at crap that bounces into the plate, he takes monsterous cuts at the plate when you need a single. He is the ultimate all or nothing player. He has decided that cakes and pie over showing up in shape in his FA year is another thing to do as well. Ramirez already shows more potential at the plate than Mr. All or Nothing. The only reason I would send him down, is for more fielding practice. But his bat already can match S&C at this point.

Because there is something to be said for Major League experience. Ramirez isn't ready, yet. Richar is hurt, now. Uribe is next in line. And there's three weeks until the Sox break camp for this to work itself out. No reason to worry until the last week before they break camp. I agree with you about Uribe, but that doesn't mean he isn't capable.

More crazy trade's from members of Crede's crew.

They tried to talk to Crede's agent who told them to bug off we want to go to FA. Yet lets trade Fields the player under control for years and keep the guy who had one good season, and sucked as a batter for the rest and is a FA.

If they offer him a reasonable deal, then yes he would sign it. We all know who his agent is and you're dumb if you think the Sox wouldn't deal with him over personal problems, the man represents some of the best players. The Sox invested years developing Crede and as soon as he comes around everyone wants him gone. Stick with Crede and trade Future "poor mans" Adam Dunne.

- The thought of Uribe as the starting 2B makes me want to vomit and doesn't get me excited about following White Sox baseball this season. A man can only take so much and this could break my spirit.

- I'm a big Quentin backer but I actually wouldn't have a huge problem if Anderson won the starting CF job and Quentin started the season in AAA. Is Anderson really very different than Quentin? He's a guy who was formerly a very good prospect and has struggled in limited major league opportunities. Anderson's minor league resume isn't quite as good but you have to take the fact that he's an outstanding defender and that he plays CF into account.

- This article seems to suggest that it's Owens, not Anderson or Quentin, who will be the third starting OF and that's by far the worst case scenario IMO.

QUOTE(SoxWS05 @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 01:34 PM)
If they offer him a reasonable deal, then yes he would sign it. We all know who his agent is and you're dumb if you think the Sox wouldn't deal with him over personal problems, the man represents some of the best players. The Sox invested years developing Crede and as soon as he comes around everyone wants him gone. Stick with Crede and trade Future "poor mans" Adam Dunne.

Lets just ignore the evidence that is well documented on how the sox deal with Boras. We avoid his players like the plague in FA, even in the draft yet you think that we will suddenly work out a long term deal with Crede because of what, faith. What exactly is the long term deal that you would offer a medicore offensive 3rd baseman who had one good year, plays good defense, and has just come off back surgery. I realize that they have invested a lot of years of development, but you realize that this is not the first time the sox have traded one of their own, or let one of their own go. Players like Wilson Alvarez, Alex Fernandez, Robin Ventura, Jack McDowell, Frank Thomas, and others would of played their career out with the sox if they only looked to the investment of draft picks and development time. Its a business, and to be perfectly honest betting 4 to 5 years on Crede for a lot of money wouldnt be all that smart.