Workout Tips & Tricks

Texsox

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started the bike-to-work plan today. Elston/Damen to 800-ish S. State in 31 minutes (about 6 miles). Not bad for a first ride, since I have to wait at some lights, slow down at a couple stop signs, etc. Once I get in biking shape, that will be about 25 minutes.

Plenty of light in the sky now, even leaving at 6am like I did. This should work great.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 4, 2009 -> 07:28 AM)
Started the bike-to-work plan today. Elston/Damen to 800-ish S. State in 31 minutes (about 6 miles). Not bad for a first ride, since I have to wait at some lights, slow down at a couple stop signs, etc. Once I get in biking shape, that will be about 25 minutes.

Plenty of light in the sky now, even leaving at 6am like I did. This should work great.

Elston is an excellent biking street. Should be a piece of cake to get down there timely.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 4, 2009 -> 07:36 AM)
Elston is an excellent biking street. Should be a piece of cake to get down there timely.

Mostly it is, yeah, especially since I am just south of (and can avoid) the Elston/Damen/Fullerton vortex. There are a couple interesections that are bad on the way out in afternoon rush (Armitage/Ashland/Elston, Milwaukee/Chicago), but mostly the Elston/Milwaukee corridor is great and direct. I do have to ride up Clinton/Canal from 800 S to get to Milwaukee, which has a lot of traffic downtown - but its great riding home on Milwaukee/Elston and passing all the cars sitting there waiting.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 30, 2009 -> 01:41 PM)
For those who are curious look at the bottom of a well-worn pair of your shoes. If it looks like one side or another has more ware than the rest, you probably have an un-even gait. Left uncorrected it can lead to ankle, knee, hip, and/or back problems.

For those interested, I've attached a power point that I use to for talking to physical therapists, podiatirsts and such on training for runners. I've worked with runners for many years and have done 12 marathons.

the principles are based on my own research and the references listed at the end.

Training_for_Runners.ppt

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 8, 2009 -> 12:38 PM)
For those interested, I've attached a power point that I use to for talking to physical therapists, podiatirsts and such on training for runners. I've worked with runners for many years and have done 12 marathons.

the principles are based on my own research and the references listed at the end.

Dude, I need you to help me with my stride. I have run for a few years and lately I have had serious shin pain (not shin splint like pain) but almost muscular or focused just above my ankle. I think its my nike running shoes that I switched to and only recently bought a new pair of sauncony shoes to see if that was the issue.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 8, 2009 -> 02:42 PM)
Dude, I need you to help me with my stride. I have run for a few years and lately I have had serious shin pain (not shin splint like pain) but almost muscular or focused just above my ankle. I think its my nike running shoes that I switched to and only recently bought a new pair of sauncony shoes to see if that was the issue.

are you a pronator or a supinator?

On the running and injuries front, I'll tell you what saved me from 90% of my knee and ankles problems - orthotics. I got these foot pedal things made, molded to my feet, that I wear in my shoes. And honestly, I am not exagerrating when I say 90% of my leg joint problems went away*

* Background, I have: flat feet, multiple ankle breaks over the years, Osgood Schlatters, Chondromalacia, and a variety of other knee and ankle issues.

QUOTE (AssHatSoxFan @ May 8, 2009 -> 01:44 PM)
are you a pronator or a supinator?

I wear out the outside of my shoes, towards the heel. My feet naturally roll a little towards the outside, which made me turn alot of ankles growing up.

I pronate so I got shoes that stabilize the foot and prevent it from collapsing towards the inside with a stiff piece of plastic. Try to find a runner specific store that should watch you walk or run and can find a shoe to stablizie your running motion and eliminate your pain

QUOTE (AssHatSoxFan @ May 8, 2009 -> 01:49 PM)
I pronate so I got shoes that stabilize the foot and prevent it from collapsing towards the inside with a stiff piece of plastic. Try to find a runner specific store that should watch you walk or run and can find a shoe to stablizie your running motion and eliminate your pain

Thats what im thinking, i got my new shoes to focus on that a bit. I was told that I had been running in the worst possible shoes I could buy (Nike Shox)

Shoe brands often have a specific type of foot fit, or a few specific ones. So its not necessarly that one is bad in general, its just bad for some people.

I have a running shoe made by Brooks, called The Beast. Its meant for large fram runners (I'm 6'3" and currently 245, but even at my ideal 200, I ain't a small guy) with ankle stability problems (like me). They work great for me, highly stable and comfortable, and high enough to keep my ankles in, even with the orthotics. But Brooks might be horrible for someone else.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 8, 2009 -> 02:54 PM)
Shoe brands often have a specific type of foot fit, or a few specific ones. So its not necessarly that one is bad in general, its just bad for some people.

I have a running shoe made by Brooks, called The Beast. Its meant for large fram runners (I'm 6'3" and currently 245, but even at my ideal 200, I ain't a small guy) with ankle stability problems (like me). They work great for me, highly stable and comfortable, and high enough to keep my ankles in, even with the orthotics. But Brooks might be horrible for someone else.

I've had New Balance, Brooks, and now Adidas shoes that were all made for over-pronation. There are plenty out there that you should be able to find one with a good fit for you that will stabilize the foot.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 8, 2009 -> 01:42 PM)

most of the time pain in this area is caused by too much heel strike. When you contact the ground it should not be with the posterior or middle part of the heel, it should be toward the front of the heel.

there are many reasons for this improper striking pattern it is usally just habit or over striding. during the first part of your run go slower and try to land on the front part of the heel. Don't try to do it all at once because the change can cause others problems. Ease your way into it and the pain will dissipate.

From the description you gave it sounds like you strike it quite a bit of supination. In this position your foot is rigid and doesn't absorb the forces of impact properly. If you land further forward on the heel you'll land more into pronation and this will decrease the force in the area.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 8, 2009 -> 01:54 PM)

For bigger runners Brooks and new balance tend to be the best because of the larger toe box and insole design.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 8, 2009 -> 03:56 PM)
most of the time pain in this area is caused by too much heel strike. When you contact the ground it should not be with the posterior or middle part of the heel, it should be toward the front of the heel.

there are many reasons for this improper striking pattern it is usally just habit or over striding. during the first part of your run go slower and try to land on the front part of the heel. Don't try to do it all at once because the change can cause others problems. Ease your way into it and the pain will dissipate.

From the description you gave it sounds like you strike it quite a bit of supination. In this position your foot is rigid and doesn't absorb the forces of impact properly. If you land further forward on the heel you'll land more into pronation and this will decrease the force in the area.

Thanks man, I appreciate the advice.

I just got back from a run trying out my new kicks. No shin pain, at least not in the way I had it before, just the basic knee (I havent been running in a year) type strain. I feel pretty damn good. I could tell these shoes were keeping my feet a little more steady.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 8, 2009 -> 04:51 PM)
Thanks man, I appreciate the advice.

I just got back from a run trying out my new kicks. No shin pain, at least not in the way I had it before, just the basic knee (I havent been running in a year) type strain. I feel pretty damn good. I could tell these shoes were keeping my feet a little more steady.

Shoes and proper training (not over training) are always the 2 most important factors. Those to factors help 80% of my patients.

Alrighty - well I'm starting week 1 of my new workout plan. I modeled it off of a program called Body for Life. I'm probably of the ectomorph variety too - and a short motherf***er. 5' 7" 135/40 (don't actually own a scale so that's as of December). Looking to add muscle mass, bulk up. The hardest part for me is the eating - simply because to increase my intake to 3000 calories a day is bloody expensive. But my training regimen is as such:

Weights 3 days a week, Run a 20 minute, Intensity-based program on the 3 days in between. It's not about distance because of the reasons previously mentioned in this thread. the last day i do jack s*** and love it.

Ok so i gonna be focusing on all my muscle groups, but i was wondering if you guys have any good back workouts? i've always sort of ignored this in the past.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 12, 2009 -> 03:48 PM)
Alrighty - well I'm starting week 1 of my new workout plan. I modeled it off of a program called Body for Life. I'm probably of the ectomorph variety too - and a short motherf***er. 5' 7" 135/40 (don't actually own a scale so that's as of December). Looking to add muscle mass, bulk up. The hardest part for me is the eating - simply because to increase my intake to 3000 calories a day is bloody expensive. But my training regimen is as such:

Weights 3 days a week, Run a 20 minute, Intensity-based program on the 3 days in between. It's not about distance because of the reasons previously mentioned in this thread. the last day i do jack s*** and love it.

Ok so i gonna be focusing on all my muscle groups, but i was wondering if you guys have any good back workouts? i've always sort of ignored this in the past.

Depends on what parts of your back you want to work.

For lower back, non-weight stuff like planks, supermans, and that thing where you lean against a pad and arch over with your bodyweight are great. For weights for lower back, do an upright row - the one with the close grip on a cable. For upper back, I like lat pull-downs (with biceps too), but make sure you don't lean back so much. Also don't do behind the neck on that one - it works well but can damage your shoulders. various reverse row type machines work well for mid and upper back, and rear of the shoulder. Trap raises for traps.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 12, 2009 -> 03:53 PM)
Depends on what parts of your back you want to work.

For lower back, non-weight stuff like planks, supermans, and that thing where you lean against a pad and arch over with your bodyweight are great. For weights for lower back, do an upright row - the one with the close grip on a cable. For upper back, I like lat pull-downs (with biceps too), but make sure you don't lean back so much. Also don't do behind the neck on that one - it works well but can damage your shoulders. various reverse row type machines work well for mid and upper back, and rear of the shoulder. Trap raises for traps.

coolio. thanks.

I did my running this morning, then had a dance audition for a show i got called back for so i've done my share of exercise already today. Here's hoping I can actually stick the f*** with it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 12, 2009 -> 05:09 PM)
To be honest, I would use a yoga day to work on your core as a whole including your lower back muscles as well.

tried doing bikram yoga on a consistent basis - that s*** beat me up. 100+ degree room for 90 minutes. By the end you're just dead. but it is really great. I just didn't have time/$$ for it at that point. maybe some day.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 12, 2009 -> 05:39 PM)
tried doing bikram yoga on a consistent basis - that s*** beat me up. 100+ degree room for 90 minutes. By the end you're just dead. but it is really great. I just didn't have time/$$ for it at that point. maybe some day.

There are ones at home that are free, kill you too. I didnt think it would do anything for me when I started p90, but I am much more flexibile and my core is much stronger. I can tell when playing sports that I have a larger range of motion and better balance.