3/25 roster rumbles

Dick Allen

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Shamrock4Life @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 11:48 PM)
Ok sending Fields down does not bother me at all. We have Crede, he is gone at the end of the year no matter what, same with Uribe and Hall. So having Fields and Phillips in AAA is not that big of deal. They both do not earn Major League Service Time, thus putting off their arbitration years, iirc. Also unless we get a damn good deal fro Crede, he is not being moved until May 1st. Hall probably didn't accept his assignment to the minors (thus the two closed door meetings today). He already cleared waivers then also going in that line of thinking. I wouldn't be surprised to see Crede put on the waiver wire sometime soon, if he hasn't already been on there. This would free both up to either get claimed, probably would let Hall go and up Crede back off waivers, or, if cleared, able to trade them after the deadline, if i understand the rules correctly. We already blew our load with Uribe on this though.

I don't like the idea of Quinten being on the 25 man to open the season, I would rather bring in another arm in the bullpen for April, since Ramirez is going to get limited time at 2nd with Uribe there and would make a good/serviceable 4th outfielder until Owens is completely healthy, which after a week long minor league assignment/extended spring training, will be in mid to late April. Hopefully Anderson can stake his new claim to the CF job by then.

The key to all these moves is looking at how they set up the future, not just how they set up this year. There are a lot to the "rules" of Major League Baseball, as evidenced by the whole Uribe waiver wire saga, that we don't understand that I am sure are affecting many of these personal moves. And you are a dumb ass manager of a business if you don't under stand all the rules.

This team should be pretty damn good come 2010, even without depth in the minors. The Tigers should have passed their time by then and you never know the Indians could start selling off some of their players that are ARB eligible and becoming free agents. Just a thought.

I agree with what you said -- Fields being sent down doesn't bother me much either. On another note it does because he loses another year of not doing what he should be doing --being our starting 3rd baseman. Wouldn't it be a b*t*h if the Sox traded Fields and resigned Crudy?

QUOTE(jenks45monster @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 12:22 AM)
I agree with what you said -- Fields being sent down doesn't bother me much either. On another note it does because he loses another year of not doing what he should be doing --being our starting 3rd baseman. Wouldn't it be a b*t*h if the Sox traded Fields and resigned Crudy?

I said it before, trading Fields at the given moment would be the worst move KW has ever made.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 11:21 AM)
Well Owens has to steal bases, because he can barely hit anything but singles. Check the amount of XBH he has had for a "speed guy". I am waiting to see Owens hit the ball out of the infield a bit more and not have the bad groin for more than a day before I am willing to give him a chance.

You know something, I'm not suggesting Owens start in this packed OF the Sox have, but y'all DO know he was still an overmatched rookie last year right? He's basically played one half of MLB baseball. So to say things like "well, if you remove September" isn't even fair because that is only leaving 2 1/2 other months, and those are his first real months at the MLB level.

I do realize that he only had 9 doubles last year and many times got on base only because of his legs but in all honesty it's not because he's so physically weak that he literally can't hit the ball out of the infield. There is no healthy adult male that's actually that weak, it's got as much to do with the fact that he had to adjust to superior MLB pitching than it does with his actual physical frame. If he ever gets to a point where he is not overmatched by MLB pitching and has to overcompensate on his swing to make contact it's actually not that unreasonable to believe that he could hit 20-25 doubles if he had a full season of ABs. He's never going to be known for hitting frozen ropes into the gaps but it's not like he's going to be completely worthless either.

Just asking for a little objectivity here, the anti-Jerry Owens opinions are getting beyond extreme.

QUOTE(lostfan @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 08:21 AM)
You know something, I'm not suggesting Owens start in this packed OF the Sox have, but y'all DO know he was still an overmatched rookie last year right? He's basically played one half of MLB baseball. So to say things like "well, if you remove September" isn't even fair because that is only leaving 2 1/2 other months, and those are his first real months at the MLB level.

I do realize that he only had 9 doubles last year and many times got on base only because of his legs but in all honesty it's not because he's so physically weak that he literally can't hit the ball out of the infield. There is no healthy adult male that's actually that weak, it's got as much to do with the fact that he had to adjust to superior MLB pitching than it does with his actual physical frame. If he ever gets to a point where he is not overmatched by MLB pitching and has to overcompensate on his swing to make contact it's actually not that unreasonable to believe that he could hit 20-25 doubles if he had a full season of ABs. He's never going to be known for hitting frozen ropes into the gaps but it's not like he's going to be completely worthless either.

Just asking for a little objectivity here, the anti-Jerry Owens opinions are getting beyond extreme.

25 doubles? I'd want that to be 35 doubles with 10 triples at the very least before I'd consider him a decent player or even potentially a starter.

Jerry Owens screams 4th outfielder; that's fine and dandy, but when he's starting, it's a pain in the ass because then he's getting in the way of more talented players.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 11:28 AM)
25 doubles? I'd want that to be 35 doubles with 10 triples at the very least before I'd consider him a decent player or even potentially a starter.

Jerry Owens screams 4th outfielder; that's fine and dandy, but when he's starting, it's a pain in the ass because then he's getting in the way of more talented players.

I know he was a few years younger at the start of his career, but he sounds like an early career version of Lance Johnson (http://www.baseball-reference.com/j/johnsla03.shtml). Lots of speed, no arm, needs work in CF, punch and judy hitter, no power, lots of singles, high amount of triples, not as many doubles as you would like. I think he could be as good, if not a better player than old One Dog.

QUOTE(Pants Rowland @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 09:45 AM)
I know he was a few years younger at the start of his career, but he sounds like an early career version of Lance Johnson (http://www.baseball-reference.com/j/johnsla03.shtml). Lots of speed, no arm, needs work in CF, punch and judy hitter, no power, lots of singles, high amount of triples, not as many doubles as you would like. I think he could be as good, if not a better player than old One Dog.

If we're plugging Owens in to the leadoff spot on this team as it looks for the next few years...then the key stat I'm looking at for him is OBP. In his best seasons, 1-dog put up OBP's of around .360-.370, although a lot of that was in his batting average. But if Owens could avoid losing a step due to this injury, and give me OBP's in that range, I'd be more than content with his performace in his role. I might not be happy about him getting playing time in front of Anderson or Quentin...but that's another story.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 11:59 AM)
If we're plugging Owens in to the leadoff spot on this team as it looks for the next few years...then the key stat I'm looking at for him is OBP. In his best seasons, 1-dog put up OBP's of around .360-.370, although a lot of that was in his batting average. But if Owens could avoid losing a step due to this injury, and give me OBP's in that range, I'd be more than content with his performace in his role. I might not be happy about him getting playing time in front of Anderson or Quentin...but that's another story.

His obp with the Sox was fairly pedestrian (.320 or so) with one outlying year (1993) at .354+ and a decent 1995 at .341. It wasn't until he went to the Mets that his obp reached .360-.370. He was 24 in 1987 when he first reached the show and it took him several years to develop. I doubt anyone has that type of patience for JO.

QUOTE(Pants Rowland @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 11:45 AM)

I'd thought about that comparison before, but even then, One-Dog always showed a bit more power than Owens ever has. And that was 15 years or so ago, when power wasn't nearly as big of an issue. In 1992, Lance Johnson put up an OPS of .681, and that was an OPS+ of 92. Last year, Danny Richar put up an OPS of .695; that was an OPS+ of 78.

Owens could put up identical numbers to Lance Johnson, but in today's game, you need more production than that, either in the form of OBP or SLG.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 12:28 PM)

In the very first sentence I said I wasn't saying he should be a starter.

25 doubles really isn't terrible especially if you're getting on base a lot. 10 triples in the Cell is some pretty high expectations IMO. Any better than that and you're talking about a fringe All-Star.

QUOTE(lostfan @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 12:45 PM)
In the very first sentence I said I wasn't saying he should be a starter.

25 doubles really isn't terrible especially if you're getting on base a lot. 10 triples in the Cell is some pretty high expectations IMO. Any better than that and you're talking about a fringe All-Star.

Not with Owens speed 10 triples shouldn't be that much. That's 10 balls to the right field corner or the right center wall a year. He should be able to do that with a bit of power and his speed.