swisher to lead off to start the season and play center

chisox2334

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 10:33 PM)
Having the highest upside/being the best LF on the roster?

I am known to be a very big Anderson supporter, but I have said all along that if Carlos is healthy, he is this teams starting LF, with Swisher being the CF. If Anderson is the choice, then its Swish in LF, Anderson in CF. If it's Owens, screw Ozzie. :lol:

Even right now, with his injury concerns?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(iamshack @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 02:44 PM)
Even right now, with his injury concerns?

I think he's shown in the past week or 2 he's getting healthier.

Give him the chance to start while Owens is on the DL I say. And if he doesn't produce like he's capable of, he can go on the DL before or after Owens comes back (possibly allowing Swisher to move to LF and BA taking over CF).

He's got the most potential out of all our young OF's, and he should be given a chance to show it.

I think what they're doing is creating a competition between Quentin and Anderson for the next two weeks for one roster spot. And rather than move Swisher back and forth between left and center, they decided to let him get used to one position... CF... while the other two split time in left. That's my guess.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 10:46 PM)
I think he's shown in the past week or 2 he's getting healthier.

Give him the chance to start while Owens is on the DL I say. And if he doesn't produce like he's capable of, he can go on the DL before or after Owens comes back (possibly allowing Swisher to move to LF and BA taking over CF).

He's got the most potential out of all our young OF's, and he should be given a chance to show it.

Yeah, see this is probably my toughest issue....I love Quentin, and I believe in him...but I also realize what, at least I think, Brian can bring to the table...I just wish there was a way to get them both out there at the same time...

QUOTE(scenario @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 10:48 PM)
I think what they're doing is creating a competition between Quentin and Anderson for the next two weeks for one roster spot. And rather than move Swisher back and forth between left and center, they decided to let him get used to one position... CF... while the other two split time in left. That's my guess.

That may be, but that's taking a major strength away from BA in the competition. Almost like having a competition between a switch hitter and a non-switch hitter and telling the switch hitter he can only hit from his weaker side....

QUOTE(iamshack @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 10:51 PM)
That may be, but that's taking a major strength away from BA in the competition. Almost like having a competition between a switch hitter and a non-switch hitter and telling the switch hitter he can only hit from his weaker side....

They already know both guys, Brian and Quentin, can field. They just want to see how they look hitting major league pitching, outside of spring training that is...

And try to avoid moving Swisher around too much while he adjusts to playing outfield in the Cell.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 03:33 AM)
Having the highest upside/being the best LF on the roster?

I am known to be a very big Anderson supporter, but I have said all along that if Carlos is healthy, he is this teams starting LF, with Swisher being the CF. If Anderson is the choice, then its Swish in LF, Anderson in CF. If it's Owens, screw Ozzie. :lol:

well said

QUOTE(scenario @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 10:55 PM)
They already know both guys, Brian and Quentin, can field. They just want to see how they look hitting major league pitching, outside of spring training that is...

And try to avoid moving Swisher around too much while he adjusts to playing outfield in the Cell.

I know, I know....and one would think that BA is my brother for how much I fight for him around here...

But I guess you're right. We can't trust what BA has done in the Spring until we see him do it for at least 100 mlb at bats this year...

QUOTE(iamshack @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 10:58 PM)
I know, I know....and one would think that BA is my brother for how much I fight for him around here...

But I guess you're right. We can't trust what BA has done in the Spring until we see him do it for at least 100 mlb at bats this year...

And ditto for Quentin, who has nothing left to prove hitting in the minors, but plenty left to prove in the majors... after his sub-Uribian 2007.

QUOTE(scenario @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 11:04 PM)
And ditto for Quentin, who has nothing left to prove hitting in the minors, but plenty left to prove in the majors... after his sub-Uribian 2007.

I wonder if both Quentin and BA come out and play well in the first few weeks, if Kenny would look to deal Pauly before his 10/5 rights kick in....I know there probably isn't much of a market, but one would think the Yankees would at least be willing to discuss the matter...

QUOTE(iamshack @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 11:06 PM)
I wonder if both Quentin and BA come out and play well in the first few weeks, if Kenny would look to deal Pauly before his 10/5 rights kick in....I know there probably isn't much of a market, but one would think the Yankees would at least be willing to discuss the matter...

There was a recent article in Sports Illustrated saying Giambi was the surprise of the Yankees camp this year... that he lost weight and is looking much better defensively at 1B. So, not sure the 'need' is as high there as it may have been in the offseason.

But if our young outfielders all look good, it does open up some interesting possibilities.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 07:10 PM)
If Anderson is in the lineup with Swisher, and Anderson is playing LF, Ozzie deserves all the abuse he gets.

Indeed he does. That would be a horrible decision.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 09:46 PM)
Being the negative S.O.B. that I am, I will counter your cited upgrades:

1. Really we are switching Cabrera for Richar/Iguchi since Uribe will probably getting most of the playing time ... but at another position.

2. I suspect healthy Jerry Owens will move Quetin to the bench a lot when he is healthy. Pods is approximately equal to Owens.

3. Anderson has improved but will probably rarely play.

4. I will say the bullpen IS better.

5. Good 1-2 punch in the rotation. But after that, I only have expectations for Danks. We exchanged Garland for Floyd in the rotation which is a downgrade.

A healthy Pods is a ton better then a healthy Owens.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 12:22 AM)

I think it's debatable. Owens plays better defense and I think may be faster than Pods, doesn't have the instincts Pods has though.

In the first month or so every combination discussed will be tried out. The players will sort themselves out by themselves. Some guys will fail, some will get hurt and I hope some will do well. Its not like this roster, much less line up, is locked in for the year.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 01:22 AM)

Both healthy, I'll take Owens easily over Pods. Owens is already a better basestealer than Pods was, he's a better defender in the OF (with a similar noodle arm though), and it looks to me like their OBP's would be similar. Plus Owens is younger and cheaper.

QUOTE(scenario @ Mar 26, 2008 -> 10:55 PM)

I think you hit the nail on the head here. I think Anderson is going to be the 4th OF so they want to make Swisher as comfortable as possible by playing him everyday. Because Anderson is going to be the fill in, they want him playing all of the positions. I think they envision Swisher as the CF with either Owens or Quinten in LF, so why keep jerking around Swisher based on who is the sub of the day? Keep him comfortable since he is your #1 guy out there. Let him learn the position and the field as much as possible.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 12:06 AM)

not sure about to the yankees, but i think this is a great possibility, especially if KW gets some immediate pitching in return

QUOTE(kjshoe04 @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 06:13 AM)
I think it's debatable. Owens plays better defense and I think may be faster than Pods, doesn't have the instincts Pods has though.

Are you kidding?That was Pods biggest problem,he is fast as all hell but has no instincts out there.Maybe he has the instinct to get the ball that has bounced off the wall that he didnt get a jump on.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 08:23 AM)
Both healthy, I'll take Owens easily over Pods. Owens is already a better basestealer than Pods was, he's a better defender in the OF (with a similar noodle arm though), and it looks to me like their OBP's would be similar. Plus Owens is younger and cheaper.

So if you had a Delorean equipped with a flux-capicator, you'd take version 2008 of Owens, travel back in time to 2005, and replace Pods with him, since he's so much more awesomely better?

It amazes me how lacking of an attention span modern America has.

Pods prooved he can come up HUGE in HUGE games, Owens has prooven a boatload of zippo so far, and you say he's better? At what? Getting injured? Pods > Owens when both are healthy, because one has prooven how good he can/will be in the biggest games of their lives...and Owens has been on a team that lost 50000 games with all of his awesome speed/defense. :P

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 08:54 AM)
So if you had a Delorean equipped with a flux-capicator, you'd take version 2008 of Owens, travel back in time to 2005, and replace Pods with him, since he's so much more awesomely better?

It amazes me how lacking of an attention span modern America has.

Pods prooved he can come up HUGE in HUGE games, Owens has prooven a boatload of zippo so far, and you say he's better? At what? Getting injured? Pods > Owens when both are healthy, because one has prooven how good he can/will be in the biggest games of their lives...and Owens has been on a team that lost 50000 games with all of his awesome speed/defense. :P

Um... yeah, I really wasn't thinking Delorean. I mean, when we're talking Pods and Owens, we're more in Chevy Cavalier territory I think.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 08:56 AM)
Um... yeah, I really wasn't thinking Delorean. I mean, when we're talking Pods and Owens, we're more in Chevy Cavalier territory I think.

Sarcasm aside, my point was that Pods has prooven something around here, while Owens hasn't. Both healthy, the defensive/speed gains from Owens do not outweigh Pods big game play. We all watched every second of the ALDS/ALCS/WS and we all know what Pods did in said situation. I would bet Owens couldn't reproduce it, or even come close, despite his "skill" being at a higher level on paper.

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Mar 27, 2008 -> 09:00 AM)
Sarcasm aside, my point was that Pods has prooven something around here, while Owens hasn't. Both healthy, the defensive/speed gains from Owens do not outweigh Pods big game play. We all watched every second of the ALDS/ALCS/WS and we all know what Pods did in said situation. I would bet Owens couldn't reproduce it, or even come close, despite his "skill" being at a higher level on paper.

Pods' performance in the first two-thirds or so of 2005 was just what that team needed, and he was of great value. He did indeed make some big time plays, and his HR in Game 2 of the WS will always be among my best memories ever as a Sox fan (I was there).

That said, given the option of having either one right now, I'd take Owens hands-down, for the reasons I stated earlier. He's better for those reasons, and he's cheaper, with more speedy years ahead of him.

One can seperate the two things. I love what Pods did, but right now, Owens > Pods.

I know this thread took it's usual turn to the outfield debate, but how about Swisher leading off?

With the make up of this team, I'm perfectly fine with it. In fact, Id be fine with it all year. So yeah he may hit some leadoff homers, but the goal is to score that run. If Swisher hits a homer, then the chance of him scoring is absolute. If Owens is leading off and gets a base knock and then swipes 2nd, there is still a chance he will not score. I know some would rather have a base hit and than have another guy homer him in netting 2 steaks. But I'm fine with Swish hitting the dong first, and then someone else doing some yard work as well. Same amount of runs. If Swisher homers and OCab doubles, it's the same as if Owens is leading off, singles, steals 2nd, and OCab doubles - you just don't have that chance of failing to score that run in the first scenario. As long as Swish has the ability to go 1st to 3rd, and I think he does...then he has enough speed for me at the leadoff spot.

I'm sure someone has some stat out there to tell me I'm nuts....but just looking at the make up of this team...with all the big boppers...I think Swish in the 1 hole is fine. Him being on base to score is what's most important and if he does the scoring on his owm....kudos!!