Tom Crean to Indiana

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 2, 2008 -> 01:08 AM)
From this alum's perspective...after the embarrassment that has been this season, I'll take a guy who doesn't have a bunch of championships under his belt as long as he's a solid guy who can help rebuild that program. I just don't want another story coming out that makes me shake my head.

agreed.

I like the hire. Crean was one of the few I wanted 2 years ago when Sampson was hired. I think since IU passed on him last time, many kinda forgot about him as a candidate.

And don't be fooled, Bassett and Ellis aren't going anywhere. "Kicking them off" was simply sending a message that even though no HC had been named, the players still had to be accountable for their actions.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Apr 1, 2008 -> 06:29 PM)
I like the hire as well, congrats guys. He's not really a homerun hire in my eyes, but he's a solid coach that will IU back in the top 20 each season and keep his nose clean.

With the talent that has come out of Indiana (the state) the last few years that IU has missed on, just having a solid coach, being clean, and being in the top 25 ought to give the team a shot at a real good tourney run fairly often.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Apr 2, 2008 -> 12:59 AM)
the only criticism i'd have of crean is his tournament performance. no doubt he had a great run with dwyane wade in 03, but outside of that his teams have been meh at best when it comes to tournament play. now, there could be reasons for that i'm not aware of because i don't follow closely, but outside of 03 there's nothing really distinguished about his team's tournament performances.

I can only speak about this year and last year -- I can't enlighten you about anything but that (i.e. the Final Four run or two years ago with Novak) -- but...

With regards to the loss vs Michigan State in the 2007 tourney, Marquette was playing without its best player (McNeal). You do have to factor that in a little bit. That being said... Izzo completely and utterly out-coached Crean in that game. Michigan State didn't strike me as a very good team last season, but they completely controlled the game. I think that was the game where Marquette had something like one two-point FG in the first half. I was not happy at all with the performance and most of my beef was with Crean. It wasn't just a matter of MU not hitting open shots -- they weren't running any offense and most of their shots were contested. It was an absolutely terrible coaching performance.

With regards to this season and Marquette's run... I can't say I have any complaints. Stanford was about the worst possible match-up for Marquette (outside of playing one of UNC or UCLA) and, if not for one freak shot, Marquette would've been into the Sweet 16.

------------------

If you Indiana folks are looking for a truly *elite* coach, I don't think Crean is your guy. But he's pretty good and certainly above average, and seeing that your last coach did his best to run embarrass the hell out of IU, this has to be looked at as a plus for 'Hooserville'.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 2, 2008 -> 01:33 AM)
I can only speak about this year and last year -- I can't enlighten you about anything but that (i.e. the Final Four run or two years ago with Novak) -- but...

With regards to the loss vs Michigan State in the 2007 tourney, Marquette was playing without its best player (McNeal). You do have to factor that in a little bit. That being said... Izzo completely and utterly out-coached Crean in that game. Michigan State didn't strike me as a very good team last season, but they completely controlled the game. I think that was the game where Marquette had something like one two-point FG in the first half. I was not happy at all with the performance and most of my beef was with Crean. It wasn't just a matter of MU not hitting open shots -- they weren't running any offense and most of their shots were contested. It was an absolutely terrible coaching performance.

With regards to this season and Marquette's run... I can't say I have any complaints. Stanford was about the worst possible match-up for Marquette (outside of playing one of UNC or UCLA) and, if not for one freak shot, Marquette would've been into the Sweet 16.

------------------

If you Indiana folks are looking for a truly *elite* coach, I don't think Crean is your guy. But he's pretty good and certainly above average, and seeing that your last coach did his best to run embarrass the hell out of IU, this has to be looked at as a plus for 'Hooserville'.

thanks for the background. missing mcneal absolutely would hurt them, and i forgot he was gone in that game.

I like it in the sense that it's a lot better than I thought we could 24 hours ago, because after Bennett I had no idea how far we'd fall. The near lack of tourney success scares me as well as the fact that he's not always been the best recruiter, but it's a solid hire.

Also of note is a line from a response by AJ Ratliff to the IDS: "They’re losing five starters, with no team, he’s a good enough coach to come in with all that going in."

I know it's highly suspected that Gordon will leave, but it's based mostly on that -- everyone expects it will happen. However, one would think Ratliff would have a little more info than most about the situation.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Apr 2, 2008 -> 03:24 AM)
Pat Forde on ESPN suggested that Bruce Weber might replace Crean at Marquette. It would be a good move for Weber; he loves Milwaukee and the job would be a step up. But I would think Marquette would go after Bennett.

Marquette's not a step up from Illinois.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Apr 1, 2008 -> 10:24 PM)
Pat Forde on ESPN suggested that Bruce Weber might replace Crean at Marquette. It would be a good move for Weber; he loves Milwaukee and the job would be a step up. But I would think Marquette would go after Bennett.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Keep Bam at Illanoy, he keeps them horrid.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Apr 1, 2008 -> 06:58 PM)
Lateral move for Crean at best. He's stepping into a program that's in shambles.

And a nice big serving of humble pie for the Cream and Crimson idiots. Way to make a splash.

Fine coach. Nothing to write home about. So much for having the most coveted vacancy in all of sports, huh?

First thought when I read your post... "What the HELL is he talking about?"

Then I realized you are an Illini fan simply trashing a great hire because it's Indiana.

I'm a Marquette alum and I'm sorry to see Crean go. Great coach, great recruiter... and squeaky clean.

I'm not a fan of Indiana. In fact, I was happy Sampson was there. It made it easier for me to dislike them. But this is a great move for them.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 1, 2008 -> 10:31 PM)

If you compare the coaches salaries, the facilities, and the fact that Marquette is in a metropolitan area that has an NBA team I would think it is. It has to be a lot easier to recruit someone to play there than central Illinois.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Apr 2, 2008 -> 04:39 AM)
If you compare the coaches salaries, the facilities, and the fact that Marquette is in a metropolitan area that has an NBA team I would think it is. It has to be a lot easier to recruit someone to play there than central Illinois.

Not when you're seen as the only major program(sorry DePaul) by many in one of the richest basketball states out there. Weber isn't going anywhere, especially not to Marquette.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 1, 2008 -> 10:31 PM)

I'm a Marquette alum and I agree.

It's not a status thing. It's a budget thing. Marquette does not have the athletic dollars Illinois does. And Marquette has tougher academic standards for athletes... both issues making recruiting tougher than it is at Big 10 schools.

So... what's in it for Weber to make a move like that?

Edited by scenario

QUOTE(scenario @ Apr 1, 2008 -> 10:45 PM)
I'm a Marquette alum and I agree.

It's not a status thing. It's a budget thing. Marquette does not have the athletic dollars Illinois does. And Marquette has tougher academic standards for athletes... both issues making recruiting tougher than it is at Big 10 schools.

So... what's in it for Weber to make a move like that?

I don't know if Weber would, but he's from Milwaukee and supposedly loves it -- it would be a homecoming for him. Plus (and correct me if I'm wrong) Marquette would pay significantly more. And the facilities are better. UI may have more money in the athletic department, since they have a football team, but they are stuck with what many people view as a poor and antiquated venue in Assembly Hall (although I think it's still a good place to see a game).

I'd just be surprised if recruiting someone to UI is easier than Marquette but maybe the academic standards do make a difference.

Update: Salary figures: Weber $750,000 and Crean at Marquette $1,650,000. That's just base salary, but it's still twice as much...that being said I doubt Marquette will go after him and I'll now stop hijacking the thread.

Edited by hitlesswonder

QUOTE(scenario @ Apr 2, 2008 -> 03:36 AM)
I'm a Marquette alum and I'm sorry to see Crean go. Great coach, great recruiter... and squeaky clean.

I didn't know that -- you should post in the college basketball thread more often. It'd be nice to have someone to discuss MU hoops with (I'm a current sophomore at MU).

I disagree on the words "great" for either of those, but like you I'm disappointed that he's leaving -- he looked to be improving in the recruiting area and I think he was also getting better an an in-game coach.

----------------

In response to B>W, I think the Weber/Marquette connection is only a small one -- I'm fairly certain Weber is an alum of Marquette High School, which is several blocks away from the University and -- IIRC -- used to actually be connected to the University as an 'extended' school program (if that makes sense). The only reason I could see Weber leaving, though, is if he was in any way fed up with the job at U of I -- perhaps people getting on him for the terrible season or the Smith issue. Marquette would in no way be a 'step up' for Weber -- it'd be at best a lateral move if not a step down. Marquette has its positives -- great facilities, pro-stadium to play in, decent fan-base -- but they're not 'positive' enough, IMO, to warrant a move from Champaign to Milwaukee.

If on the small chance that came to fruition, though, and Weber became Marquette's head coach, I'd be relatively pleased for a couple of reasons:

(1) Weber may have his faults, but one thing Weber does is coach defense damn well. I love teams that are able to bring-it defensively in the half-court (like Wisconsin), and Weber is similar to Crean in that respect.

(2) While his recruiting record may be sketchy, we weren't getting great recruiting with Crean.

And this is more of a (2a), but Weber can point to Derron Williams and Dee Brown Luther Head as guys he helped make into NBA players. I think that type of 'cred' may be useful with the guards Marquette has coming in (i.e. in trying to keep Tyshawn Taylor and Nick Williams in Milwaukee for the near future).

Edited by CWSGuy406

BTW -- how does this process work with regards to the recruits? Nick Williams, MU's other 'prized' guard coming in, has officially asked out of LOI. That's par-for-the-course for a situation like this though, right? Marquette's new head coach (so long as MU moves swiftly) will have a chance to speak with these signed players, yes?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 2, 2008 -> 04:09 AM)
BTW -- how does this process work with regards to the recruits? Nick Williams, MU's other 'prized' guard coming in, has officially asked out of LOI. That's par-for-the-course for a situation like this though, right? Marquette's new head coach (so long as MU moves swiftly) will have a chance to speak with these signed players, yes?

Yes, the player can still sign another LOI with the school they had initially signed with. However, this doesn't happen often. I read another thing tonight by Taylor saying he's going to start looking at other programs.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Apr 1, 2008 -> 10:56 PM)
I don't know if Weber would, but he's from Milwaukee and supposedly loves it -- it would be a homecoming for him. Plus (and correct me if I'm wrong) Marquette would pay significantly more. And the facilities are better. UI may have more money in the athletic department, since they have a football team, but they are stuck with what many people view as a poor and antiquated venue in Assembly Hall (although I think it's still a good place to see a game).

I'd just be surprised if recruiting someone to UI is easier than Marquette but maybe the academic standards do make a difference.

Update: Salary figures: Weber $750,000 and Crean at Marquette $1,650,000. That's just base salary, but it's still twice as much...that being said I doubt Marquette will go after him and I'll now stop hijacking the thread.

That's what no football does for you. Basketball at Marquette is THE money making sport. So they can put more of their money into that. At Illinois, Guenther has said he has one more thing to do...build a new Assembly Hall...which I would be sad to see go, but understand the need for boxes. Crappy place to see a concert, though. Anyway, if Weber went to Marquette...who would Illinois get?

Still, as I said before, Crean to Indiana is a good move.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 2, 2008 -> 04:13 AM)
Yes, the player can still sign another LOI with the school they had initially signed with. However, this doesn't happen often. I read another thing tonight by Taylor saying he's going to start looking at other programs.

But they already signed the LOI -- Marquette doesn't have to let these guys out of their LOI. That would be a complete dick move on their part, but they can still make them come here and go through the business of transferring (if they felt so strongly about it).

And I don't need to be reading that right now, especially with regards to Taylor. I'm going to have faith, though -- Beasley stayed at K-State even though Huggins left, right? Or is that more of an exception-and-not-the-rule thing?

One more thing that works in Marquette's favor -- and hitless first brought it up and the previous poster mentioned it as well -- Marquette has a financial advantage on most other schools. Crean had to have been ranked among the top coaches nationally as far as annual salary, right? I'm relatively confident they'll bring the big bucks to the table.

And to be quite honest... I'm kind of really, really hoping for Weber or Lowery. I'd be fond of either of the two.

Marquette, before Crean, was not an upper tier salary job.

Here's a very cool tool to help compare and look at college coaching salaries

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/graphics/ba...racts/flash.htm

And here's a good USA Today article from 2006 that talks about salaries, including Crean's.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/men...ary-cover_N.htm

Edited by scenario