Jon Garland

sox-r-us

QUOTE(knightni @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 11:06 PM)
05-17-2005 *vs Rangers W 7.0 IP 5 H 2 ER 4 K

05-29-2005 at Rangers L 6.0 IP 9 H 7 ER 3 K

08-30-2005 at Rangers L 4.1 IP 7 H 5 ER 2 K

06-02-2006 *vs Rangers ND 6.2 IP 5 H 3 ER 4 K

06-13-2006 *at Rangers W 5.1 IP 5 H 0 ER 0 K

07-23-2006 *vs Rangers W 8.1 IP 6 H 0 ER 3 K

04-17-2007 vs Rangers L 7.0 IP 5 H 5 ER 3 K

08-29-2007 *at Rangers ND 6.0 IP 8 H 3 ER 2 K

I'd say overall, that since 2005, he's 5 QSs out of 8 starts.

I guess I really only remember the bad outings... I do remember one time he mowed them down though. He was dominate that game, breaking tons of bats.

EDIT: according to lostfan, pre the 05 Garland, I was right...

Edited by BearSox

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 12:04 PM)
I can imagine that his entire season will be like this. Either he is on and inducing GBs or not and getting hammered - no in between.

Exactly. But as much as I like Cabrera in the #2 slot and Uribe at 2nd, I'd rather have Jon occupy then #3 spot than Danks or Contreras.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 08:39 AM)
Exactly. But as much as I like Cabrera in the #2 slot and Uribe at 2nd, I'd rather have Jon occupy then #3 spot than Danks or Contreras.

Hopefully, in a couple more weeks, Mr. Danks will make you regret this statement.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 08:55 AM)
Hopefully, in a couple more weeks, Mr. Danks will make you regret this statement.

I wouldn't be surprised. After seeing what he did early last season, I'm pretty high on Danks.

But this is what really concerns me...

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 09:13 AM)
I think he will, but Contreras won't.

If Contreras really blows that bad I don't think the org. will keep him in the rotation for that long, and they'd put him in long relief and call up Broadway or Egbert. I was thinking about making a thread about this but I'd rather do it once he has a good few starts to gauge him by.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 12:07 PM)
If Contreras really blows that bad I don't think the org. will keep him in the rotation for that long, and they'd put him in long relief and call up Broadway or Egbert. I was thinking about making a thread about this but I'd rather do it once he has a good few starts to gauge him by.

is jose a free agent at the end of the season or does he have another year left? ( at the end of this year :pray )

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 13, 2008 -> 08:08 AM)
The sad part...

He could actually afford to do that without a problem.

I wouldn't say without a problem, seeing as how it would cost him right around $2 million, if I've done some basic figuring correctly (assuming an average gas tank size of 25 gallons, $3.20 gas, and 26,094 in paid attendance). Of course that's also assuming everyone's running on empty.

Average gas tank size of 25 gallons? Geez do you drive an M1 Abrams dude? My gas tank is 16 gallons and that's on the larger end of non-SUVs.

It's still gonna probably be in 7 figures though if you give a liberal estimate.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 08:15 AM)
Average gas tank size of 25 gallons? Geez do you drive an M1 Abrams dude? My gas tank is 16 gallons and that's on the larger end of non-SUVs.

It's still gonna probably be in 7 figures though if you give a liberal estimate.

It was a completely uneducated guess. My 1993 Toyota Camry has like a 15.5 gallon tank, and our older truck at home has two tanks, so...yeah.

QUOTE (NUKE @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 06:53 AM)
We may be stuck with him that long. Nobody at all wanted him in the off season.

I doubt that's entirely accurate. Nobody wanted him at whatever the asking price for him was. Considering that he still gave us 200 innings last year, and we made a deal to move Garland early in the offseason, it wouldn't have made much sense to move him for anything less than a solid package, which no team would have offered given his contract.

If Danks and Floyd keep this up, and either Broadway or Egbert have solid years at AAA or we move someone for another starting pitcher at some point along the line, then the Sox might be more open to dealing Jose at a lower price solely to move the salary.

It's also possible Jose could have a significantly better season this year than last year's debacle, and that will improve things as well. That 5.57 ERA he sported last year wouldn't look good to anyone, but if he could put up something around the 4.27 he put up in 2006 or the 4.34 he's sporting right now, in the Cell, for 200 innings then suddenly he goes from looking like a guy who can lose 20 games for you to a guy who's got something left in the tank and is worth throwing out there as a #3 guy, particularly in the NL.

Contreras somehow having an ERA under 5 and us being able to unload him next offseason for something worth while would be a dream come true...

however, I doubt Contreras keeps up his 4.3 ERA as he really doesn't have much left in the tank, if anything.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 07:36 PM)
Contreras somehow having an ERA under 5 and us being able to unload him next offseason for something worth while would be a dream come true...

however, I doubt Contreras keeps up his 4.3 ERA as he really doesn't have much left in the tank, if anything.

As a friendly wager, I bet Contreras has an ERA below Garland's this season.