The "Mighty" Detroit Tigers

sox-r-us

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 09:36 PM)
Can't remember where I heard it, but basically they were saying that getting bullpen help this early in the season is not easy. For the most part, bullpen pitchers are cheap. So, teams aren't going to want to give anything up, at least until the deadline, and by that time, the Tigs might be out of it. Rodney's unreliable...Zumaya too. Should be a very interesting time for them because the help is going to have to come from the farm teams or a retread that is currently out of baseball.

And except for Porcello, there is nothing in that farm system either....their team is full of old (Maggs; Sheff; Ivan; Rogers etc), overpaid hacks and with no prospects left now, they are doomed if they cannot turn it around. How does that Linebrink & Dotel signing look now for the Sox? I would not want to see those 2 relievers with the Tigers....

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 09:39 PM)
DAMN...beat me to it. Leyland has GOT to be FURIOUS!!!

Leyland was seen waving his white sack of sunflower seeds at one of the other coaches in the 7th or 8th inning....official white flag has been thrown .... cannot wait for some firings to occur and this team to completely implode if they get swept and get to the Cell down 0-9.....can you imagine the electricity at the Cell if we can end Det's season and send them down 1-11 or 0-12??? :gosox3:

We wouldn't quite be ending their season just yet although it would be pretty damning for them. Crazier comebacks/implosions by first place teams have occured. Remember running away and hiding for most of the season only to find yourself sweating late in the summer of '05? That to me is one of the strongest reminders that the baseball season is a marathon as opposed to a sprint.

Edited by ChiSox35

QUOTE (sox-r-us @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 04:36 PM)
Rodney's return has been delayed; and according to Leyland, Zumaya is "light years out" .... buh bye season

Right, but it was delayed from mid-April or so. Early- or mid-May still looks plausible, since they've said there's nothing wrong in the medical exams. Zumaya's a long ways off, but I thought it was still looking like July or August. Which obviously isn't good, but he could still help them for a good part of the season if that's the case.

QUOTE (ChiSox35 @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 01:49 PM)
We wouldn't quite be ending their season just yet although it would be pretty damning for them. Crazier comebacks/implosions by first place teams have occured. Remember running away and hiding for most of the season only to find yourself sweating late in the summer of '05? That to me is one of the strongest reminders that the baseball season is a marathon as opposed to a sprint.

The Astros were something like 15 games below .500 in late May of 05 and came back to make the playoffs. That should be the reference point I'd say.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 09:59 PM)
The Astros were something like 15 games below .500 in late May of 05 and came back to make the playoffs. That should be the reference point I'd say.

This AL is much stronger though than that NL, but good point none the less.

This quote in the game day thread is hilarious too:

It sucks having relatives from Minnesota and Cleveland. I keep getting texts asking me how piggy is doing. :notworthy

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 05:59 PM)

i believe the astros were sub .500 in august the year before, adn turned it on and made it as well....in 05 i believe they started 15-30

certainly it can be done, but the fact of the matter is that they have a real shot at being 0-9...and not many teams can dig out of that hole

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 04:36 PM)
Can't remember where I heard it, but basically they were saying that getting bullpen help this early in the season is not easy. For the most part, bullpen pitchers are cheap. So, teams aren't going to want to give anything up, at least until the deadline, and by that time, the Tigs might be out of it. Rodney's unreliable...Zumaya too. Should be a very interesting time for them because the help is going to have to come from the farm teams or a retread that is currently out of baseball.

I can only hope the last jewel of their farm gets dealt to the A's in the form of Porcello and the likes of one of their MI prospects, For Street.

QUOTE (sox-r-us @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 03:36 PM)
Rodney's return has been delayed; and according to Leyland, Zumaya is "light years out" .... buh bye season

Christ, the season is over after 7 games? Would you please step the f*** back and realize that there are 155 left?

Seriously, it's April. I love that the Tigers suck, but they aren't going to go 0-162, and they aren't going to finish in last place (barring some more injuries to their lineup).

Just saw the ESPN crawl that said the Red Sox shut out the Tigers in the Fenway opener. Detroit has 2 more in Boston and then comes into The Cell for the weekend. I know it's waaaaaaaaayyyyy too early in the season, but how important could this series with the Tigers be? Heck, Detroit could conceivably limp in to town 0-9.

Edited by RudyLawRules

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 11:27 PM)
Christ, the season is over after 7 games? Would you please step the f*** back and realize that there are 155 left?

Seriously, it's April. I love that the Tigers suck, but they aren't going to go 0-162, and they aren't going to finish in last place (barring some more injuries to their lineup).

Easy bro....you can always avoid reading this thread if it pisses you off so much, you know :huh

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 05:27 PM)

Funny, I heard many people saying the Sox season was over in something like Nov of last year...

QUOTE (RudyLawRules @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 04:35 PM)
Just saw the ESPN crawl that said the Red Sox shut out the Tigers in the Fenway opener. Detroit has 2 more in Boston and then comes into The Cell for the weekend. I know it's waaaaaaaaayyyyy too early in the season, but how important could this series with the Tigers be? Heck, Detroit could conceivably limp in to town 0-9.

Would you rather have them come into the Cell winless or with at least one win? Would they press more as they lose more, or will they try harder if they lose more?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 06:18 PM)
If they dealt Porcello it would be moronic.

exactly, but they might have to save face with them being the second highest payroll in all of baseball.