Johnny Cueto

RockRaines

Did anyone see this kid pitch today? There are highlights on MLB.com if you missed it.

7.0 IP 1 hit 1 ER 10k's 0bb

He's flat out nasty. If the Reds have Cueto, Volquez and Bailey get even NEAR their potentials, they could take that division for a few years.

To put it in perspective as well, Cueto is only 22 years old. He has the type of arm that dominates a division. If the Reds can pitch, they can win that division for sure.

Right now their top two can probably competed with the division fav's Cubs and Brewers. Harang and Arroyo are solid NL starters, and if Cueto can pitch like he did today, they have probably the best 1-2-3 in the division, Fogg is the #4 which isnt horrible in the NL, and Volquez who was the top guy in the Rangers system brings up the rear with a mid 90's sinker and a plus change.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 03:35 PM)
To put it in perspective as well, Cueto is only 22 years old. He has the type of arm that dominates a division. If the Reds can pitch, they can win that division for sure.

Right now their top two can probably competed with the division fav's Cubs and Brewers. Harang and Arroyo are solid NL starters, and if Cueto can pitch like he did today, they have probably the best 1-2-3 in the division, Fogg is the #4 which isnt horrible in the NL, and Volquez who was the top guy in the Rangers system brings up the rear with a mid 90's sinker and a plus change.

And if anyone goes down, they still have Homer Bailey still down at AAA trying to develop right? (Man, just like a lot of pitching prospects, there's a guy they held on to one year too long)..

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 07:11 PM)
And if anyone goes down, they still have Homer Bailey still down at AAA trying to develop right? (Man, just like a lot of pitching prospects, there's a guy they held on to one year too long)..

Yes, the 21 year old is still at AAA. He may end up being the nastiest of them all if he pans out.

Hmm, do we have scouts in the Dominican Republic or what? If fricken Cincinnati is capable of developing this type of arm there should be no excuse for our lack of results.

It'd only be appropriate if DLS turns into a comparable pitcher............for Oakland.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 10:17 PM)
Hmm, do we have scouts in the Dominican Republic or what? If fricken Cincinnati is capable of developing this type of arm there should be no excuse for our lack of results.

It'd only be appropriate if DLS turns into a comparable pitcher............for Oakland.

Are you capable of any other type of response?

My brother is a big Reds fan (weird I know, but he's been that way since he was a little kid and it's better than the Cubs) and he's been telling me about Cueto for probably 2 or 3 years now. The Cubs better get their fun now, because Cueto, Volquez, Bailey, Votto, and Bruce ain't nothing to f*** with. Even Edwin Encarnacion, who hit the walk off last night, coud still be pretty good. If they can figure out a way to keep Dunn (I think Harang is locked up long term already), those guys are going to be scary.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 10:15 PM)
wasnt there a cueto and votto for konerko rumor earlier this offseason...or maybe it was cueto and votto for buerhle...but there was a rumor or at least a rumbling of that iirc

It was Buehrle, and I said back then I'd do that trade in a heartbeat.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 08:13 PM)
I dunno, man. His stock has been dropping like an anvil.

He was also 20 and in the majors. He'll come around. He's nasty. Between Cueto, VOlquez and Bailey, they have a REALLY good young pitching core.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 11:53 PM)
He was also 20 and in the majors. He'll come around. He's nasty. Between Cueto, VOlquez and Bailey, they have a REALLY good young pitching core.

Not that it makes a hell of a lot of difference, but he was actually 21. He also had mediocre BB/9 numbers in AAA last year and his K/9 doesn't jump out at you. He does keep the ball in the park well, and is, afterall, only 21, so it's not like he's running out of time.