2008 General Election Discussion Thread

HuskyCaucasian

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 11, 2008 -> 03:10 PM)
I don't. He should be ashamed of himself. It's McCain and his campaign that started all of this and now that everyone is calling him on it he's finally acting on it. What a disgrace. What happened to the McCain of 2000? That man is long gone.

"Nobody really thinks that Bush or McCain have a real answer for the challenges we face, so what they're going to try to do is make you scared of me. You know, he's not patriotic enough. He's got a funny name. You know, he doesn't look like all those other presidents on those dollar bills, you know. He's risky."

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Oct 15, 2008 -> 01:49 PM)
"Nobody really thinks that Bush or McCain have a real answer for the challenges we face, so what they're going to try to do is make you scared of me. You know, he's not patriotic enough. He's got a funny name. You know, he doesn't look like all those other presidents on those dollar bills, you know. He's risky."

Take out the "doesn't look like all those other presidents" and they've pretty much done everything else to a T.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 15, 2008 -> 12:51 PM)
Take out the "doesn't look like all those other presidents" and they've pretty much done everything else to a T.

The McCain campaign has tried to make people scared of Obama? Scared of his policies yes. Obama brought race into this. He named McCain and said he will try to make you scared of me because I'm not white like all the other presidents.

I'm tired of people acting like unless McCain says "You can't vote for him, he's black", that he's not injecting race into this election.

These attempts to paint him as an outsider, that he's not one of us, he doesn't see america the way we see it, these are racially charged, whether you want to question their intent or not, they are responsible for the way they are received. So to be shocked at the vitriolic response from the crowds is naive, and that is the parallel John Lewis was trying to make.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Oct 15, 2008 -> 12:09 PM)
Ok sorry didn't mean to let facts get in the way. You're correct McCain and his campaign started all this.

So instead of proving Obama wrong they went ahead and started saying "he's not patriotic enough. He's got a funny name. You know, he doesn't look like all those other presidents on those dollar bills, you know. He's risky."

Brilliant! And it's working so well too.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 15, 2008 -> 12:02 PM)
These attempts to paint him as an outsider, that he's not one of us, he doesn't see america the way we see it, these are racially charged, whether you want to question their intent or not, they are responsible for the way they are received. So to be shocked at the vitriolic response from the crowds is naive, and that is the parallel John Lewis was trying to make.

i have bad news for your analysis. questioning an opponents vision for America is standard during presidential campaigns. painting the other candidate as a radical outsider has been done many times before, think Reagan in 1980; he was supposedly a psycho intent on launching nuclear weapons and ending life on earth as we know it.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 15, 2008 -> 01:02 PM)
I'm tired of people acting like unless McCain says "You can't vote for him, he's black", that he's not injecting race into this election.

Oh bulls***. I'm sorry, but saying he is not one of us and doesn't see America the way we see it has absolutely nothing to do with the color of Obama's skin. It's trying to paint him as an outsider, yes, that's the whole point. To me, he is an outsider, he doesn't see America the way I do...and he would be an outsider if he was white. GMAFB.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Oct 15, 2008 -> 06:15 PM)
i have bad news for your analysis. questioning an opponents vision for America is standard during presidential campaigns. painting the other candidate as a radical outsider has been done many times before, think Reagan in 1980; he was supposedly a psycho intent on launching nuclear weapons and ending life on earth as we know it.

I have bad news for your analysis. When the outsiders of your campaign are creating pamphlets calling him an arab, writing books about how he's a muslim, and bringing on guests saying Obama only came to Chicago "probably" because of Ayers and is now just a puppet for him, while the candidates are saying he's palling around with terrorists, questioning who he is - 20 months in -, making ALL their ads negative - most not having anything to do with policy -, these all fuel one message. And the difference, the reality, is that Obama is black and has an arab name. So these same statements applied to Ronald Reagan vs. Barack Obama bring out different reactions in their intent. So, McCain can swoop into these rallies, Palin can swoop into these rallies, say these things that have roots in previous claims, all though being an outsider is usually run as a good thing (Palin can both run as an outsider and blast Obama for being an outsider! ), and leave acting oblivious to how their message is received. But when these phrases, along with fueling this relationship with Ayers, and him being black with a Muslim name, are clearly igniting in people hatred and racism, THEY are responsible. If these motifs they are spreading, whether intended to frame in a different way, are being received in another, THEY are responsible. THEY are responsible for these racist crowds. McCain is more than capable on framing this election on experience and taxes, he hasn't done that. He's done it on character, against a black candidate. So yes, in a world that deals with realities, McCain's campaign absolutely has infused racism into it. I didn't even mention the elitist, UPPITY Obama uses.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 15, 2008 -> 12:29 PM)
:huh

These are the kind of people we're talking about here...

2939476582_7b1cf99e83.jpg

I thought we were supposed to make a distinction between supports and the candidates themselves? I can't tell you how many times I have been told that exact same ideal on this very board. Or do I get to start holding Barack Obama responsible for everything AHB saids?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 15, 2008 -> 02:39 PM)
I thought we were supposed to make a distinction between supports and the candidates themselves? I can't tell you how many times I have been told that exact same ideal on this very board. Or do I get to start holding Barack Obama responsible for everything AHB saids?

Hence why I said "kinds of people." This isn't my argument, I backed out a couple of pages ago out of disinterest.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 15, 2008 -> 01:29 PM)
:huh

These are the kind of people we're talking about here...

2939476582_7b1cf99e83.jpg

I don't agree with that sign anymore than you do. What does that have to do with McCain or his campaign. Yeah there are wackos out there on both sides. I'm sure we can dig up some pictures from the left....should we associate those as coming directly from Obama or his campaign?