For Howard Stern Fans...

tonyho7476

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 10:19 PM)
So y'all just listen to Howard, then regular local radio?

I don't really listen to much of either.

I don't have satellite radio, and I only really listen to local radio when I'm driving or doing dishes.

I download a bunch of podcasts and listen to them on iTunes or the Pod.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Apr 11, 2008 -> 02:51 AM)
I don't really listen to much of either.

I don't have satellite radio, and I only really listen to local radio when I'm driving or doing dishes.

I download a bunch of podcasts and listen to them on iTunes or the Pod.

When I hear all these millions of listeners bought the service because of Stern, I wonder if it's like saying millions of customers joined Time-Warner cable for the Ace of Cakes. If their offering is really that poor that Stern is the only, or even the majority of the reason to take that service, then I can see why both systems needed to merge. I can't believe their business plan was, here's Howard and some stuff around it. Talk about narrow casting.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 11, 2008 -> 06:51 AM)
When I hear all these millions of listeners bought the service because of Stern, I wonder if it's like saying millions of customers joined Time-Warner cable for the Ace of Cakes. If their offering is really that poor that Stern is the only, or even the majority of the reason to take that service, then I can see why both systems needed to merge. I can't believe their business plan was, here's Howard and some stuff around it. Talk about narrow casting.

While I think Stern was the lure for many subscribers, I think the main selling point was quantity and variety of listening options. Entire channels dedicated to a particular style or genre of music, sports packages, specialized talk stations, stuff like that. I think Stern has probably delivered exactly what he was hired on to deliver as far as volume of new subscribers is concerned, but I also think the merger had to happen. I'm thinking many potential subscribers didn't want to choose one package that had some of what they wanted (Stern, for example) or another that had something else they wanted (the MLB package, for instance). I think a pretty good number of people were waiting for one service that had everything they wanted before they committed to any satellite radio service.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 11, 2008 -> 06:51 AM)

I initially went over for Howard, but I rarely listen to local radio, I love the commercial free music. Listening to it right now at my desk. Also, the comedy station (Raw Dog) is great. I love the service. When/if Howard retires in 2 and a half years I will keep it. I think a new technology, someone may know when it started but I think around 2000, that has something like 14 millions subscribers combined is pretty impressive.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 09:14 PM)
Yeah Artie referenced some similar incident with Fred but I'm not familiar with it

there's been a couple of Fred instances, Howard use to know exactly what to do to push his buttons. One of the big ones is when Jackie was still on the show, Fred his wife and Jackie and Nancy went out to The Rainbow Room to celebrate Jackie's anniversary. Jackie and Nancy got up to dance and when they came back Fred was gone and his wife was there alone upset and told them they got into a huge fight. So on the radio Jackie and Fred don't say a word, but some listener who was there called up and it set Fred off, Howard kept the listener on and eventually Fred challenged the guy to come down to the studio for a fight, I believe he briefly walked off the show. There's been a few other similar incidents with Fred, but I think that was the biggest.

Howrad was why I got Sirius and baseball is why I got XM, different cars BTW. The music on the sattions is ok. For whatever reason there seems to not be a real good mix and the narrow focus of the stations seems to limit the amount of songs you hear. The commercial free makes it really worth it.

It is something that is really worth the price if you are in your car at all.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Apr 10, 2008 -> 06:59 PM)
The drive home was a replay of Monday's show, ugh.

As far as relevance is concerned Howard's show on Sirius is amazing and Arte Lang is a big reason why.

Replaying the Monday show after Artie got physical with a show staffer again and walked out was a joke. What the hell am I paying $12.95 a month for?

I guess I'm one of the few that thinks Howard has been mailing it in since, "The Revolution." A 4-day work week, a weeks vacation seemingly every second or third week, 9 out of 10 guests are of little or no consequence, etc. While never a big fan of Bubba the Love Sponge, he works longer hours, does 2 shows a day (terrestrial and satellite), works a 5-day work week, has limited vacations, etc.

And at least with Ferrall, I can guarantee myself entertaining sports talk minus the American Idol and Dancing with the Stars BS which, I think most Stern fans, can care less about.

As far as Artie goes, WAAAA!!!!! Cry me a river fat ass. WAAAA!!!!!

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 11, 2008 -> 07:03 AM)
I initially went over for Howard, but I rarely listen to local radio, I love the commercial free music. Listening to it right now at my desk. Also, the comedy station (Raw Dog) is great. I love the service. When/if Howard retires in 2 and a half years I will keep it. I think a new technology, someone may know when it started but I think around 2000, that has something like 14 millions subscribers combined is pretty impressive.

I never listen to regular radio anymore...the commercials are too much. Especially the Score. You turn that channel on and its half commercials.

QUOTE (CubKilla @ Apr 11, 2008 -> 09:19 AM)
Replaying the Monday show after Artie got physical with a show staffer again and walked out was a joke. What the hell am I paying $12.95 a month for?

I guess I'm one of the few that thinks Howard has been mailing it in since, "The Revolution." A 4-day work week, a weeks vacation seemingly every second or third week, 9 out of 10 guests are of little or no consequence, etc. While never a big fan of Bubba the Love Sponge, he works longer hours, does 2 shows a day (terrestrial and satellite), works a 5-day work week, has limited vacations, etc.

And at least with Ferrall, I can guarantee myself entertaining sports talk minus the American Idol and Dancing with the Stars BS which, I think most Stern fans, can care less about.

He's in the twilight of his career, and has set back his hours. It still beats everything else out there. What you going to listen to, Eric and Kathy? Did you listen this morning? I enjoyed Jay Thomas followed by Bubba on 101.

QUOTE (CubKilla @ Apr 11, 2008 -> 09:19 AM)

The thing is, is that his show is almost commercial free now as oppossed to the 20 minute commercial breaks when he was on KROK. While his show has some guests that are pretty meaningless he still has about 4-5 hours of daily entertaining programming which is pretty incredible.

Arte brings a real guy mentality into the studio that was missing. He seems like normal dude as comapred to what Jackie was. He is normal and pretty funny as well.

Edited by Jenks Heat

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Apr 11, 2008 -> 10:28 AM)
He's in the twilight of his career, and has set back his hours. It still beats everything else out there. What you going to listen to, Eric and Kathy? Did you listen this morning? I enjoyed Jay Thomas followed by Bubba on 101.

I did. Can do without Jay Thomas. Bubba is all right and I like Ferrall.

I'm not bashing Howard. I'm just saying, IMHO, Howard has gotten lazy and has not come through on what was promised when he asked his listener's to pay to listen to him. He can barely fill up one channel with fresh programming and he was, at one point, talking about 3 channels chock full of new, original shows.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Apr 11, 2008 -> 11:30 AM)
The thing is, is that his show is almost commercial free now as oppossed to the 20 minute commercial breaks when he was on KROK. While his show has some guests that are pretty meaningless he still has about 4-5 hours of daily entertaining programming which is pretty incredible.

Arte brings a real guy mentality into the studio that was missing. He seems like normal dude as comapred to what Jackie was. He is normal and pretty funny as well.

I understand that also. You can tell just how much of his terrestrial show was commercials during MTT. MTT starts at 6 and is usually over around 8:30-8:45 even with the Sirius commercials included.

And yes, Artie has his moments. But "real guy" mentality? If talking about gambling, drinking, whoring, and the Yankees makes Artie a "real guy" then yes, he brings this to the table.

But most "real guys" would know where their bread is buttered and not call-in sick every so often after playing 5 comedy clubs over the weekend at $6000 an appearance and whine about it.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 11, 2008 -> 07:07 AM)
There's been a few other similar incidents with Fred, but I think that was the biggest.

I remember the "Rainbow Room" broadcast. Radio Gold.

The other one I remember with Fred is when Howard went through the martians briefcase. Fred found out and went ballistic on the air and threatened, again, to walk out.

QUOTE (CubKilla @ Apr 11, 2008 -> 11:47 AM)
I understand that also. You can tell just how much of his terrestrial show was commercials during MTT. MTT starts at 6 and is usually over around 8:30-8:45 even with the Sirius commercials included.

And yes, Artie has his moments. But "real guy" mentality? If talking about gambling, drinking, whoring, and the Yankees makes Artie a "real guy" then yes, he brings this to the table.

But most "real guys" would know where their bread is buttered and not call-in sick every so often after playing 5 comedy clubs over the weekend at $6000 an appearance and whine about it.

The thing is that Artie's bread and butter is the comedy club circuit not he Stern show. The Stern show is a great promotional tool for him but I do not think it would pay the bills like the comedy circuit would long term. He is kind of caught on what to do there. I personally think he could do his own show and would be pretty good at it as he has gotten better on the Stern show.

The attributes you pointed to above are exactly what I am saying were missing as compared to the attributes of Howard and Fred. Sometimes it is good to have someone rip on American Idol/Dancing with the Stars, know about sports (not just the Yankees) and counter what Howard and Robin like as they share many of the same intreests.

QUOTE (CubKilla @ Apr 11, 2008 -> 10:53 AM)
I remember the "Rainbow Room" broadcast. Radio Gold.

The other one I remember with Fred is when Howard went through the martians briefcase. Fred found out and went ballistic on the air and threatened, again, to walk out.

Fred also got super pissed when Howard talked about him changing his name, I don't remember any huge blow-up just Fred being annoyed

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 11, 2008 -> 12:52 PM)
Fred also got super pissed when Howard talked about him changing his name, I don't remember any huge blow-up just Fred being annoyed

Howard used to push Fred's buttons so hard...that hasn't occurred in like 10 years now. I think it was because Fred used to sit right in front of him, at the old studio in KROCK.

Well the HowardTV programs (you get two segments) always come out two days after the radio show, so today would be the day to get the Artie explosion. But neither of the 4/10 segments are of the fight, they regret to inform us they can't show it right now but they hope to in the very near future (not holding my breath)

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Apr 11, 2008 -> 11:00 AM)
The thing is that Artie's bread and butter is the comedy club circuit not he Stern show. The Stern show is a great promotional tool for him but I do not think it would pay the bills like the comedy circuit would long term. He is kind of caught on what to do there. I personally think he could do his own show and would be pretty good at it as he has gotten better on the Stern show.

The comedy club circuit is Artie's bread and butter because of the Stern Show. Artie was a nobody in comedy before sitting in Jackie's chair and will, probably, return to nobody status if he leaves or is kicked off.

Ask Jackie Martling

QUOTE (CubKilla @ Apr 13, 2008 -> 03:58 PM)
The comedy club circuit is Artie's bread and butter because of the Stern Show. Artie was a nobody in comedy before sitting in Jackie's chair and will, probably, return to nobody status if he leaves or is kicked off.

Ask Jackie Martling

that's ok though...i'm sure VH1 could use another comedian on the 'Best Week Ever' program.