Frank Thomas Released By The Blue Jays/signed by the A's

BlizzardOfOzzie

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 10:27 AM)
The guy was benched for 2 games out of 16. 2 games. There is no way you can say with any degree of certainty that Frank was going to get his hot and start smoking the ball and get his at bats, and you also cant say that he was going to stay benched "indefinitely" and watch the option pass him by. This entire situation was escalated by Thomas bringing it to the media and acting like a baby, and now he is being paid to stay away from the Jays.

Exactly. How can anyone say the Jays mistreated him? He now can go to any team and have them pay him the minimum while he collects the rest of this year's salary from Toronto. He's just not going to get a chance at the $10 million option anymore, which seems to be more Frank being about Frank and not the Blue Jays, which isn't new. Robin Ventura had a scrape with Frank once about basically the same subject, substitute White Sox for Blue Jays.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 10:28 AM)
Yes you ARE apologizing for him. You're making it look like the big bad Blue Jays did this to him and he had no part in this bad ending. Beeeeep.

Frank screwed himself by being a selfish non-team player who ran his mouth in the media. Then he walked away rather than congratulating his team mates after a win. Any body who runs a business and has an employee like that realizes that it's a potential cancer situation - so you find ways to cut and run.

If Frank hadn't run his mouth, and acted like a baby, he'd still be on the team. He would have had more chances to hit. And if he started hitting, they would have played him often enough to get the option.

No. You think I am doing that because you have some preconcieved notions about me.

I only said that the blue jays are idiots, not that they are "big bad" whatever.

Don't you understand that he doesn't WANT to be on that team? I do. So why in the world would I think the blue jays are bad?

exactly. it was a power play, nothing else. you dont like our policies? fine, you're gone.

Wrong. They say it was mutually. Any more excuses for the whiner?

FT - "wahh, they're sitting me because I'm not performaning. I always start slow"

BJ's - "Fine, you want your release?"

FT - "Yeah. Someone else will play me."

BJ's - "Fine. Take your release and money and STFU."

Nothing but a power play.

QUOTE (max power @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 11:29 AM)
Frank said he was told he wasn't going to be a part of the lineup. Do you have any information that says otherwise? I don't some I am inclined to believe him. I highly doubt he would freak out for no reason at all and start saying that. It doesn't make logical sense.

yes, a player complaining about money should always be taken at their word. whatever

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 10:33 AM)
yes, a player complaining about money should always be taken at their word. whatever

No one said that. Right now its the only information out there. Since you don't have anything else, its pretty stupid to just make stuff up.

Also you totally ignored my point about logical sense which gives him more credibility.

Edited by max power

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 10:29 AM)
Maybe I'm missing something. 320 AB's or less he gets $8 mill. 320+ AB's he gets $10 mill. What is there to cry about ?

Where are you seeing this?

I'm seeing an option that vests if he reaches 1,000 PA's between 07' and 08' or reaches 525 PA's in 08'.

Frank had 612 PA's last season, and has 60 thus far this season, for a total of 672. Therefore, he only needed 328 more PA's to reach 1000.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 10:30 AM)
Well, I have never been a fan of Frank's antics, but that also doesn't mean the guy shouldn't be upset for being benched.

How many other first ballot HOF'er's wouldn't be pissed if they were benched for starting slowly a year after hitting 25 homers and driving in 90? And especially when whether or not an option vests is affected by being benched?

I don't excuse the Jays for making an offer to him to lure him to Toronto, only to then decide to bench him to avoid fulfilling their end of the bargain. They didn't bench him because they aren't scoring runs right now. They benched him because he looks a bit old and a bit slow, and they don't want to pay him $10 million next season. That's all there is to it. And so their solution is to say 'Frank, you're benched, maybe indefinitely'. What? That's bs, and I don't blame Frank one bit for being pissed off about it. If I had performed up to what was expected of me, and was on target to reach some performance bonus, but was artificially disallowed to reach that bonus by my employer, I would be pretty damned pissed myself.

I wouldn't be so hard on the Jays if they didn't have a history of this kind of nonsense, but the fact is, they do.

If they have a history of it, why would Frank have agreed to the contract? BTW, they paid him for for 2007 and 2008 than any other team would have. While I'm sure there is some motivation with the option, the fact that they benched him so soon tells me they still think they can win and need production now. Benching Frank after 200 AB would have also accomplished their goal if it was to make sure the option didn't kick in. Frank still would have had a shot. They just wanted him to earn the $10 million contract for next year. Evidently, Frank feels he's entitled to it just because he's Frank Thomas.

QUOTE (scenario @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 10:28 AM)
Yes you ARE apologizing for him. You're making it look like the big bad Blue Jays did this to him and he had no part in this bad ending. Beeeeep.

Frank screwed himself by being a selfish non-team player who ran his mouth in the media. Then he walked away rather than congratulating his team mates after a win. Any body who runs a business and has an employee like that realizes that it's a potential cancer situation - so you find ways to cut and run.

If Frank hadn't run his mouth, and acted like a baby, he'd still be on the team. He would have had more chances to hit. And if he started hitting, they would have played him often enough to get the option.

So, for the potentially millions of dollars he is going to lose in this deal, he has no one to blame but himself.

All I can say is I couldn't disagree more.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 10:36 AM)
what did i make up?

That there is no way he was going to be benched indefinitely and not reach his option.

Obviously its a possibility. You implied a lot with that post.

Edited by max power

QUOTE (max power @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 10:38 AM)
That there is no way he was going to be benched indefinitely and not reach his option.

I said you cant say that with certainty. Why? Because the season was 16 games old. Anything could have happened, Stairs could get injured tomorrow and they could have plugged Thomas right back in and he would be pissed and motivated, and possibly hit his stride.

Now, there is no way any of could know that now. Its over.

Obviously its a possibility. You implied a lot with that post.

Implied, sure. I didnt make anything up. You imply plenty yourself

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 10:35 AM)
If they have a history of it, why would Frank have agreed to the contract? BTW, they paid him for for 2007 and 2008 than any other team would have. While I'm sure there is some motivation with the option, the fact that they benched him so soon tells me they still think they can win and need production now. Benching Frank after 200 AB would have also accomplished their goal if it was to make sure the option didn't kick in. Frank still would have had a shot. They just wanted him to earn the $10 million contract for next year. Evidently, Frank feels he's entitled to it just because he's Frank Thomas.

The Jays, John Gibbons, and JP Ricchardi have been up to this sort of bs for a few years now. Ricchardi has gone to the media about several players, including AJ Burnett, basically saying he needs to pitch through pain.

Frank doesn't feel he is entitled to it because he is Frank. He feels he is entitled to it because he has held up his end up the deal. He's been healthy, he's produced, and that is what the contract is structured under- those assumptions- that if he was healthy and producing, the option would be in the interests of both parties. And now that he has started slowly, the Jays aren't sure they want to pay him next year under the terms of that option, so they bench him.

Why the hell do you think they told him the benching might be "indefinite"? Who the hell tells a player he may be benched "indefinitely"? They knew how he would react- how any player of his stature and accomplishments would react- and used that as an excuse to then release him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 09:00 AM)
Frank's legendary pouting got him unemployed. Kudos to the Blue Jays for cutting his ass. No one is bigger than the team. For those of you who think,"poor Frank", the Blue Jays are still on the hook to pay him to do nothing or play for another team looking for a crybaby DH. The team made a stand. Putting up with Frank's BS would have just cost them more problems down the road. Now he'll be someone else's problem, but you know one thing, if he outperforms what he's being paid, he will moan. If he gets his butt sat down because he's stinking up the joint, he will moan. He will cry about his paycheck until the day he's no longer playing, and even then he may do some more moaning. Just hit the ball and shut your mouth.

Evidently, Frank didn't want to be there anymore, or they called his bluff, per ESPN:

Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi told ESPN's Peter Gammons that the release of Thomas was "by mutual consent. He doesn't want to be here if he's not going to play much, and we don't want him to be unhappy. He handled it with class, and I appreciate that."

I like Frank, but much of the above is true. He has a history of this crap.

It speaks volumes that the Jays would release a future-HOF DH three weeks into the season and pay him several million ($8 million?) to sit at home on his couch. Things must've gotten ugly over there. And from what I've read in these posts, it probably wasn't just Frank acting like a jerk.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 10:41 AM)
I said you cant say that with certainty. Why? Because the season was 16 games old. Anything could have happened, Stairs could get injured tomorrow and they could have plugged Thomas right back in and he would be pissed and motivated, and possibly hit his stride.

No, there is no way any of could know that now. Its over.

Implied, sure. I didnt make anything up. You imply plenty yourself

LOL, so should frank wait around and hope matt stairs gets injured so he can have an opportunity, which he already fully deserves, to vest his option by performance?

Yeah, what I imply is based on what parties involved said about the situation. Blue jays management only said they mutually decided on a release.

You just dismissed what frank said about no longer being a part of the lineup because . . . ????

QUOTE (max power @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 10:45 AM)
LOL, so should frank wait around and hope matt stairs gets injured so he can have an opportunity, which he already fully deserves, to vest his option by performance?

Yeah, what I imply is based on what parties involved said about the situation. Blue jays management only said they mutually decided on a release.

You just dismissed what frank said about no longer being a part of the lineup because . . . ????

Because he complained about being benched despite batting .167. Immediately. Then said it was about money.

Sometimes 39 year old players need a break, maybe he needed one. We have all seen Thomas piss and moan about where he hits in the lineup, wanting be treated better, the guy is a baby.

If you dont agree, fine. Im not gonna drag this out with you because you feel the Blue Jays are the worst organization in the world for sending a pouty little me-first b**** home

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (max power @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 09:32 AM)
You are. 320 at bats and he gets 18 million. 8 this year, 10 next year.

I should have read the article 1st which I did now. Still can he honestly think he's going to get even close to $10 mill. next year acting this way ? 304 plate appearances ( according to the article) isn't very much. At this point in his career he has got to understand when you sign a contract like that you can be benched for not producing. The Blue Jays run the team not Frank. It seems the best thing to do would have been to accept the benching gracefully knowing that when the weather warms up and your old oft-injured body feels better you will get plenty of AB's.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 04:48 PM)
The Rays would be a perfect fit. They could use a vet power slugger in the middle of their lineup. He would help with attendance.

With the way they've been going about trying to unload players with character issues, I don't think there's a chance in hell.