Frank Thomas Released By The Blue Jays/signed by the A's

BlizzardOfOzzie

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 10:24 AM)
Bonds being unemployed has nothing to do with his talent.

The same could be said for Frank. Weather its steroids or shooting off your mouth teams are not enamored of malcontents. But since Frank comes very cheaply at this point he may end up on a roster.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 10:12 AM)
I absolutely believe they decided to take the hit this year to avoid taking the hit next year. They have a lot of salaries rising next year, AJ Burnett can opt out of his deal after this season, they just signed Alexis Rios to an extension, and they have some young players in Lind and Snider they think they can use next season.

Whether they actually "huddled" up and decided to intentionally try and piss off Frank so they would have an excuse to release him, I'm not sure. But Frank's temper is well documented throughout baseball, he is a first-ballot Hall of Fame player, and he has produced the last two years when no one thought he would. I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to foresee that Frank would react this way at the news of being benched indefinitely, especially given the vesting option he has for next year.

Again, this is an organization that has had trouble with 4 players now in the last 2 years. It's not surprising at all that this move comes from them.

The more I think about this, the more I'm beginning to agree with you. Telling a hitter that you're benching him "indefinitely" is completely unprofessional. It's difficult to say if they wanted to weasel out of his $10 million option or if they just wanted his bad attitude out of the clubhouse, but you don't tell a still-relatively-productive future HOFer that he's being benched "indefinitely" three weeks into the season for a lack of production.

This remark by Vernon Wells is very telling...

"I think it's better for (Thomas), too," Wells said. "He gets a chance to have more time to possibly pick up with another team, with us it may give some of our younger guys a chance to come up.

And if there was a problem with Frank's attitude, it's really odd that they don't say so (as it wouldn't be the first time)...

Ricciardi said Thomas was more calm when they met Sunday, adding that the contract was not part of their discussion.

"That never came up," Ricciardi said. "I told Frank our decision is based on performance and his decision is based on not being able to be in the lineup."

I call BS. This is a salary dump/youth movement ploy. Frank's attitude may have played into it as well, but this certainly gives their mediocre team that doesn't really have a shot this year time to develop younger players. I hope the embarrassment was worth the $2 million they saved.

Unfortunately, Frank decided to shoot off his mouth to the media, rather than file a complaint with the MLBPA.

Edited by WCSox

the guy hit .277 and led the team in HRs and RBIs last year.

He was struggling at the plate and wanted to save money. Nothing more than that. It's not like the Jays are replacing him with a better hitter. Matt Stairs sucks.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 08:51 PM)
the guy hit .277 and led the team in HRs and RBIs last year.

He was struggling at the plate and wanted to save money. Nothing more than that. It's not like the Jays are replacing him with a better hitter. Matt Stairs sucks.

Stairs had a better OPS than Frank last season, and he allows them the chance to break up all the righties at the top of their order.

Toronto isn't a cheapskate team. They paid big money for Ryan, Burnett, Wells. They'd pay $10 mil for two years of production, if they thought he could provide it. They may not want to pay him, but it's because they don't think he helps the team, not because they've suddenly become the Marlins North.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 04:47 PM)
Toronto isn't a cheapskate team. They paid big money for Ryan, Burnett, Wells. They'd pay $10 mil for two years of production, if they thought he could provide it. They may not want to pay him, but it's because they don't think he helps the team, not because they've suddenly become the Marlins North.

I agree. Frank with the $8 million this year will have pulled in $100 million in his career. Almost 1/5 of that being paid by Toronto who paid him more in 2007 than the White Sox ever paid him for 1 season.

"I don't know that we have the luxury of waiting two to three months for somebody to kick in because we can't let this league or this division get away from us," Ricciardi - Per CBSSportsline.com

That doesn't seem like a valid excuse. Thomas is infamously a slow starter. A lot of sluggers start slow. Ryan Howard was hitting .222 after two months last season and still ended up with close to 150 RBI. I'm not saying Frank is Ryan Howard at this point in his career, but that's terrible front office management on the Blue Jays side if this is their excuse for sitting/releasing him. If they're worried about the gap in the division getting wider, bring in some talent that can truly compete with the Yankees and Red Sox.

I'm not pleading Frank's innocence here, I'm calling the Blue Jays stupid. They'll love it in 35 days when Matt Stairs can't hit a lick. It was only two years ago Frank finished 4th in the MVP balloting. Last year he finished 23rd. Effing bad player management all around from the Jays.

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 05:00 PM)
Effing bad player management all around from the Jays.

Don't forget that Reed Johnson is hitting over .350 with the Cubs. This is why they will always be no better than 3rd to the Yankees and BoSox.

BIG Hurt is going to do an interview with baseball tonight within the next few minutes.

I wonder if the same people that think he should just cash the checks and not care if he is playing or not, ever criticize a player for signing a big contract and not caring? GMAFB. Criticizing a player, any player, for wanting to EARN his money :lolhitting silliest thing I've ever heard.

I wonder what Dick_Allen would have posted if Frank was heard saying, play me, or not, I don't care; I'm picking up 8 million for the season so I will just stfu and keep my jersey clean.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 02:47 PM)
Toronto isn't a cheapskate team. They paid big money for Ryan, Burnett, Wells.

All the more reason to dump a 40-year-old DH before they owe him $10 million next year. They already know that they're not going to make the playoffs this year with the Red Sox and Yankees in their division, so why not retool now and have $10 million available for somebody else next year?

They'd pay $10 mil for two years of production, if they thought he could provide it.

And they're basing that decision on three months of at-bats? I suppose that the 26 homers and .857 OPS that he put up last year doesn't count. Using that logic, the Sox should dump Paulie, who has also been hitting like crap in the same small sample size of at-bats.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Frank didn't get along with certain people in the organization. But their use of the "lack of production" excuse three freaking weeks into the season is nothing short of bullcrap. Their "indefinite" benching of him is also a complete sleaze move.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (the People's Champ @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 03:06 PM)
They aren't retarded, they're Canadian.

This made me laugh. And I don't know why ......... even though I'm Canadian. As soon as I heard this story, my first reaction was 'wow, for once in this never ending modern era, the tail is not wagging the dog'. Hooray!

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 08:04 PM)
All the more reason to dump a 40-year-old DH before they owe him $10 million next year. They already know that they're not going to make the playoffs this year with the Red Sox and Yankees in their division, so why not retool now and have $10 million available for somebody else next year?

And they're basing that decision on three months of at-bats? I suppose that the 26 homers and .857 OPS that he put up last year doesn't count. Using that logic, the Sox should dump Paulie, who has also been hitting like crap in the same small sample size of at-bats.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Frank didn't get along with certain people in the organization. But their use of the "lack of production" excuse three freaking weeks into the season is nothing short of bullcrap. Their "indefinite" benching of him is also a complete sleaze move.

I'm not saying they made the right decision, only that it's pretty silly to think they wouldn't pay $5 mil per year for someone they thought would help.

You may be certain that the Blue Jays can't possibly compete in that division, but that's hardly unanimous. It's not hard to make a case that they have the best starting pitching in the East. Their lineup, though definitely not the best, is good enough to win. We're not talking about the Orioles, here.

And I'm not completely certain, but I think the Red Sox and Yankees were in that division when they signed all those guys I mentioned. And, maybe you have better information, but as far as I know they'll probably be there for the duration of Rios's contract. So it's odd that they're still spending money, since they have absolutely no chance ever to win.

The Jays thought -- THOUGHT -- that Thomas was basically useless to them. You can disagree with that, but that's beside the point. A team with a history of writing jawdropping free agent deals (Ryan's stunned the hell out of me) is not going to avoid a mere $5 mil per year for someone who could, in their minds, significantly help their chances this year -- a year when they are, if anything, stronger than they've been in years relative to the rest of the division.

r2260531800.jpg

Toronto Blue Jays Frank Thomas is seen on the bench during their game against the Boston Red Sox in Toronto in this April 5, 2008 file photo. After being benched yesterday, the Jays' starting designated hitter Thomas was released from the club on April 20, 2008. REUTERS/Fred Thornhill (CANADA)

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 06:21 PM)
I wonder if the same people that think he should just cash the checks and not care if he is playing or not, ever criticize a player for signing a big contract and not caring? GMAFB. Criticizing a player, any player, for wanting to EARN his money :lolhitting silliest thing I've ever heard.

I wonder what Dick_Allen would have posted if Frank was heard saying, play me, or not, I don't care; I'm picking up 8 million for the season so I will just stfu and keep my jersey clean.

I'm confused as to how hitting like crap, but staying in the line-up so a $10 million option will certainly kick in is a sign of wanting to EARN his money. Wouldn't wanting to EARN his money be more like OK, I've been bad, Stairs is hitting, the object is to win. I'm a HOFer, I will start to hit, and then they will have to play me, instead of running to the media saying the Blue Jays are benching you and the only reason is an option for next year they don't want to kick in? He was told he would be playing 2 or 3 times a week for an indefinite period. He could have kept his mouth shut and started hitting, forcing the Blue Jays to play him and actually EARN his salary this year and next year's option, which at the age of 40/41 would have been more money than the White Sox ever paid him for a season. The person who made the option for next year an issue with the media is Frank. If Frank doesn't like the terms of his contract, he shouldn't have signed it. The fact was the Blue Jays offered him more guaranteed money than any other team, it wasn't as incentive-laced, so the guy who wanted to EARN his money signed. I don't blame him for that, but please, quit with the Frank just wants to EARN his money. He just wants to maximize his money.

Just ask yourself this question, if the White Sox bought out Thome after this season, would it be a good move to sign Frank Thomas to a 1 year $10 million contract for a season he's where he will turn 41 years old? I don't think even his biggest fans would think that would be too smart. There's more to this, but the Blue Jays weren't going to release him. He just had a bad attitude about the whole thing, did not interact with his "teammates" after yesterday's victory, and once again was all about Frank. Its refreshing an organization has the balls to eat $8 million to show primma donnas they don't run the place. One thing is guaranteed, if Frank produces at his next stop, he will complain about money again.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 04:38 PM)
I'm not saying they made the right decision, only that it's pretty silly to think they wouldn't pay $5 mil per year for someone they thought would help.

It may be a moot point, but I believe that they owed him $8 million for this season.

You may be certain that the Blue Jays can't possibly compete in that division, but that's hardly unanimous. It's not hard to make a case that they have the best starting pitching in the East. Their lineup, though definitely not the best, is good enough to win. We're not talking about the Orioles, here.

And I'm not completely certain, but I think the Red Sox and Yankees were in that division when they signed all those guys I mentioned. And, maybe you have better information, but as far as I know they'll probably be there for the duration of Rios's contract. So it's odd that they're still spending money, since they have absolutely no chance ever to win.

The Jays thought -- THOUGHT -- that Thomas was basically useless to them. You can disagree with that, but that's beside the point. A team with a history of writing jawdropping free agent deals (Ryan's stunned the hell out of me) is not going to avoid a mere $5 mil per year for someone who could, in their minds, significantly help their chances this year -- a year when they are, if anything, stronger than they've been in years relative to the rest of the division.

They Jays never could've rationally THOUGHT that Frank batting below the Mendoza Line THREE WEEKS INTO THE SEASON meant that he was "useless" to them. Especially after putting up 26 HRs and an .850+ OPS last year. That would be like the Sox releasing Paulie, who has been sucking ass just as badly at the plate so far this year. The rationale is completely freaking retarded, especially for a player who has a long history of slow starts. The only other reason you release a player three weeks into the season is behavioral issues. And despite that being a much more believable excuse (given Frank's past), the Jays front office are using the ridiculous performance-based-on-60-at-bats line.

If Frank was still putting up Juan Uribe numbers in late June, then the Jays releasing him based on "performance" due to age/diminished skills would've been justified. But doing so right now means only one thing: They don't want to pay him the $10 million that they'd automatically owe him next year if he got those extra 300-some at-bats this season. They want him off the books next year so that they can spend elsewhere. Releasing Frank isn't necessarily "being cheap." It's added payroll flexibility for younger players next year. And I'm sure that they Jays will take advantage of this, given their history for over-paying for free agents.

Agreed that whether or not the Jays THINK that they can compete this year is up for debate. However, their actions - kicking a still-productive HOF DH to the curb three weeks into the season - suggest that they're not terribly serious about it. Perhaps they're now beginning to realize how stupid some of their signings over the past few years have been, and they're trying to cut bait.

I'm not saying that Frank and his mouth didn't contribute to his downfall in Toronto. For all I know, it very well may have. But that's not what the Jays are telling us. And while they certainly do have the right to do what they did, I'm all for Frank calling them on it. I just wish that he would've complained to the MLBPA, rather than the media.

Edited by WCSox

What I don't understand about the people griping about this the most is the Blue Jays did Frank a favor. Even if it was only about the option for next year, so what? There isn't 1 team in MLB that would want to be on the hook for $10 million to Frank in 2009. He still gets paid the same amont this year, some are saying the Blue Jays have no realistic chance anyway, I disagree but what do I know. Frank now has the opportunity to find a team that does.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 02:13 AM)
It may be a moot point, but I believe that they owed him $8 million for this season.

They Jays never could've rationally THOUGHT that Frank batting below the Mendoza Line THREE WEEKS INTO THE SEASON meant that he was "useless" to them. Especially after putting up 26 HRs and an .850+ OPS last year. That would be like the Sox releasing Paulie, who has been sucking ass just as badly at the plate so far this year. The rationale is completely freaking retarded, especially for a player who has a long history of slow starts. The only other reason you release a player three weeks into the season is behavioral issues. And despite that being a much more believable excuse (given Frank's past), the Jays front office are using the ridiculous performance-based-on-60-at-bats line.

If Frank was still putting up Juan Uribe numbers in late June, then the Jays releasing him based on "performance" due to age/diminished skills would've been justified. But doing so right now means only one thing: They don't want to pay him the $10 million that they'd automatically owe him next year if he got those extra 300-some at-bats this season. They want him off the books next year so that they can spend elsewhere. Releasing Frank isn't necessarily "being cheap." It's added payroll flexibility for younger players next year. And I'm sure that they Jays will take advantage of this, given their history for over-paying for free agents.

Agreed that whether or not the Jays THINK that they can compete this year is up for debate. However, their actions - kicking a still-productive HOF DH to the curb three weeks into the season - suggest that they're not terribly serious about it. Perhaps they're now beginning to realize how stupid some of their signings over the past few years have been, and they're trying to cut bait.

I'm not saying that Frank and his mouth didn't contribute to his downfall in Toronto. For all I know, it very well may have. But that's not what the Jays are telling us. And while they certainly do have the right to do what they did, I'm all for Frank calling them on it. I just wish that he would've complained to the MLBPA, rather than the media.

I say $5 mil because the option is for $10 mil. So they could have paid him $10 mil more for two years of production. Essentially, they're saying that he's not worth even $5 mil a year to them.

It may not just be his numbers. It may be that they think his swing is different, that he's slowed down. Or it may be his mouth. Or it could simply be that they think the team is better with Matt Stairs taking those abs with someone else (Adam Lind, probably) taking Stairs's abs AND his innings in the field. (As has already been pointed out by a few people, Stairs was better last year and started this year better). I'm not saying they're right or wrong, but it's not an unreasonable thing to believe. That leaves Thomas on the bench, less than worthless because he's going to bellyache endlessly about it.

It's not unreasonable to think Thomas was not valuable on the field to them, whether or not he still has value to someone. (I think he does, for the record.) But it is a stretch to think that a team that has proven itself more than willing to spend, with its best chance in a long time, would shoot itself in the foot to save a meager $5 mil a year. That just doesn't add up.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 10:36 PM)
I'm confused as to how hitting like crap, but staying in the line-up so a $10 million option will certainly kick in is a sign of wanting to EARN his money.

Simple. Sitting on the bench versus playing on the field. The people you see sitting on the bench with the ultra-clean uniforms are called coaches and earn considerably less. The people on the field are players. Coaches earn money by sitting on the bench and thinking, players earn money by being on the field and playing. My comment was Frank should want to be on the field, breaking through his slow start, instead of adopting an attitude of fine, pay me to sit on the bench and speed eatin' sunflower seeds, soaking up rays.