SOXTALK'S TOP 50 FUNNIEST MOVIES

knightni

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 22, 2008 -> 12:01 PM)
Clerks was in my top 10 for sure...top 5 if I recall correctly (probably not).

I saw Mallrats first and liked it. Then I had to see Clerks and absolutely luved it. All of his other movies have been pretty crappy...

Dogma's pretty solid.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 22, 2008 -> 05:59 PM)
No, but I was very tempted. There are a number of films like that for me. Maybe another list is in order. . .

Crossover. I saw it was the worst rated movie on IMDB so I rented it and it lived up to expectations. To give you an idea, Wayne Brady was the bad guy, seriously.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Apr 22, 2008 -> 09:14 PM)
Crossover. I saw it was the worst rated movie on IMDB so I rented it and it lived up to expectations. To give you an idea, Wayne Brady was the bad guy, seriously.

Try Dracula 3000. I thought the premise was a little thin but I gave it a try, and I'll never get that 100 minutes of my life back. Even an illustrious cast that featured Udo Kier and Coolio couldn't save this turkey.

Review from Rotten Tomatoes.

I love Ed Wood movies. They're all atrocious but fun to watch. Another non-Ed Wood movie that's really bad but an all-time favorite of mine is The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies!!?. A must see if you like bad movies, because they don't come much worse.

Edited by BigEdWalsh

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Apr 22, 2008 -> 11:41 PM)
I love Ed Wood movies. They're all atrocious but fun to watch. Another non-Ed Wood movie that's really bad but an all-time favorite of mine is The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies!!?. A must see if you like bad movies, because they don't come much worse.

I've seen that. Nothing EVER happens.

Bride of the Monster and Plan 9 are watchable for their schlock brilliance. The Ed Wood film that had me mesmerized when i saw it was Orgy of the Dead. made in the 60s. It was basically a bunch of strippers dressed up in devil costumes and jungle queen wardrobes and doing their normal stripper routine while a becaped Crisswell (the psychic guy played by Bill Murry in the Burton film) watched on in mild bemusement from a throne. Has to be seen to be believed.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 22, 2008 -> 09:11 PM)

Bride of the Monster and Plan 9 are watchable for their schlock brilliance. The Ed Wood film that had me mesmerized when i saw it was Orgy of the Dead. made in the 60s. It was basically a bunch of strippers dressed up in devil costumes and jungle queen wardrobes and doing their normal stripper routine while a becaped Crisswell (the psychic guy played by Bill Murry in the Burton film) watched on in mild bemusement from a throne. Has to be seen to be believed.

Oh man, Orgy of the Dead is great! I own most of his movies but not that one.

These go to eleven.

21. (tie) This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

200px-Thisisspinaltapposter.jpg

(5 of 23 lists - 58 points - highest ranking #4 mr_genius, RibbieRhubarb)

This Is Spın̈al Tap (officially spelled with a non-functional umlaut over the letter 'n' and dotless 'i') is a 1984 mockumentary directed by Rob Reiner and starring members of the semi-fictional heavy-metal/hard rock band Spinal Tap. The film is a mock rockumentary that satirizes the wild personal behavior and musical pretensions of hard-rock and heavy-metal bands.

The three core members of Spinal Tap, David St. Hubbins, Derek Smalls and Nigel Tufnel, are portrayed by the American actors Michael McKean and Harry Shearer and British American Christopher Guest respectively. The three actors actually play their musical instruments and speak credible British English throughout the film. Reiner appears as Marty DiBergi, the maker of the documentary.

This Is Spinal Tap chronicles the group's waning popularity during a tour of the United States to promote their latest album Smell the Glove in the fall of 1982. The sexist, misogynist, and overly-masculinized elements the general public associates with heavy metal music are parodied throughout. Marty DiBergi (Reiner), a director of television commercials, films the tour and interviews the musicians.

David St. Hubbins and Nigel Tufnel were childhood friends who ran through many band names at the beginning of their career — the initial name of the band was "The Originals", which they had to change to "The New Originals" because there was already another band going by the name — before settling on "The Thamesmen". Under this name, the group found its first fame with the early skiffle/R&B hit, "Gimme Some Money".

Invariably, Spinal Tap tried to capitalize on whatever music trend was popular, but always as it was waning. Renaming themselves Spinal Tap, they had another hit with the flower power anthem, "Listen to the Flower People", before turning to heavy metal. Various real bands underwent similar musical development. Status Quo started out as a psychedelic band before turning to the more traditional rock and roll sound that made them famous; Black Sabbath were originally a blues-based psychedelic band before turning to their current heavy metal stylings; while Sweet went from bubblegum pop to hard rock, while Queen did the opposite; started out as a hard rock or metal band before softening their sound. However, their trajectory appears to most closely track that of The Beatles until 1970; that is, they were originally a skiffle band founded by friends that went on to a more psychedelic sound.

A theme running through the story is that St. Hubbins and Tufnel possess genuine talent as composers, but have compromised their talents through laziness, stupidity, or through pursuit of commercial success. This idea is demonstrated when Nigel plays a complex new composition for Marty, discusses its minor key and relation to classical music (D minor is the saddest of keys), then reveals that the title is "Lick My Love Pump."

The film notes early on that Spinal Tap — "One of England's Loudest Bands" — have had a succession of drummers, all of whom have died under odd circumstances, one in a "bizarre gardening accident". (Since the film's release, Toto's drummer Jeff Porcaro actually died in a gardening-related accident.) Another of Spinal Tap's drummers "choked on vomit", specifically someone else's vomit (several musicians have died after choking on their own vomit, notably guitarist Jimi Hendrix, drummer John Bonham of Led Zeppelin, and Bon Scott, the original singer of AC/DC); and one drummer seems to have fallen prey to spontaneous human combustion. St. Hubbins reports that "Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year. It's just not really widely reported." This run on drummers was a nod towards several bands; both John Bonham and Keith Moon had died years before, while Judas Priest were, for a variety of reasons, on their seventh drummer at the time of the film's release. However, the main inspiration for the running joke is the supposed curse on keyboard players for the Grateful Dead.

Spinal Tap's concert appearances are repeatedly canceled due to low ticket sales. Tensions continue to rise when several major retailers refuse to sell Smell the Glove because of its sexist cover art (which was boycotted in stores) and there is growing resentment shown towards the group's manager Ian Faith (played by humor writer Tony Hendra). Nigel becomes even more perturbed when St. Hubbins' girlfriend Jeanine — a manipulative yoga and astrology devotee — joins the group on tour and proceeds to participate in band meetings and attempts to influence their costumes and stage presentation.

"Polymer Records" (not Polydor Records) decides to release Smell the Glove with an entirely black cover, though without consulting the band (four years after The Damned's The Black Album some versions of which were genuinely all-black, but embossed; two years after AC/DC's Back in Black, also all black with embossed writing; and seven years before Metallica's eponymous 1991 album, which featured a nearly-all black cover). This prompts more distress from the band, declaring the album cover depressing and reminiscent of death, but they are somewhat mollified after Faith reminds them that so much great art is about death. While studying the Smell The Glove cover, Tufnel says that it seems to ask how much more black it could be (the answer, "none more black", later became the name of an American rock band), and St. Hubbins delivers the memorable observation, "There's a fine line between stupid and clever."

In an interlude, Nigel Tufnel is shown during one of his trademarked on-stage guitar solos, playing the guitar first with his feet (parodying Jimi Hendrix's habit of playing his guitar with his teeth) and then with a violin, parodying Jimmy Page's violin bow solo spot on "Dazed and Confused".

As resentment towards Ian Faith grows, Jeanine increasingly becomes involved in the group's problems. During a tense meeting where Jeanine's idea for new stage costumes based on astrological signs is rejected, Nigel suggests the band reinstate the Stonehenge set and scribbles out a diagram of Stonehenge on a napkin. Ian agrees he will follow the band's direction to the letter; unfortunately he does not check the diagram properly and presented with an 18-inch (46 cm) model, made exactly as indicated on the original plan by Tufnel (a restaurant napkin with 18" instead of 18' written on it). The band is surprised when the tiny Stonehenge appears in the show, as it is smaller than the two dwarves who arrive on stage to dance around it, and it seems ridiculous to the concert audience who laugh at the band. St. Hubbins laments during the gig debrief, "I think that the problem may have been... that there was a Stonehenge monument on the stage that was in danger of being crushed... by a dwarf", which causes St. Hubbins to suggest that the band remedy the situation by choreographing the dwarves' dance in such a way that the mini-monuments were not in danger of being "trod upon." Black Sabbath's tour for 1983's Born Again album featured massive Stonehenge sets that barely fit on the stages the band played.[2] (Sabbath's management had ordered the set measurements in feet, but the manufacturers accidentally built the set using metres; Sabbath's models would thus have been roughly three times too large, whereas Tap's were one twelfth the desired size). [3] The film may have inspired the real-life band, as the Stonehenge sequence appeared in a 1982 20-minute demo of the film. Led Zeppelin had also had a Stonehenge stage theme in the final US concerts held in Oakland, California in July 1977, so the sequence in the film could have possibly been a reference to that as well.

After the Stonehenge debacle, manager Ian Faith quits in disgust when St. Hubbins suggests that his girlfriend Jeanine can co-manage the group. Jeanine takes over management duties and begins plotting astrology charts for the group members and for the group itself, and begins basing their concert appearances on the alignment of stars. Her character is drawn chiefly on the public image of Yoko Ono, Linda McCartney and Nancy Spungen as inexperienced interlopers in their lovers' music careers.

The group performs at a US Air Force base, managed by Fred Willard, who calls the group "Spinal Tarp", and requests a Barry Manilow song suitable for slow-dancing. The audience disapproved, not expecting a hard rock group, and Tufnel's wireless guitar-amplification system picks up interference from an air traffic control broadcast. After the various problems of the tour, resentment towards Jeanine, and the general unsuitability of the Air Force gig, this latest problem prompts Nigel to storm off stage. We soon learn that he has left the group; DiBergi asks St. Hubbins how he feels about his longtime collaborator's departure and St. Hubbins replies, "Well, I'm sure I'd feel much worse if I weren't under such heavy sedation."

The remaining band members continue the tour. After arriving to play at an amusement park (filmed at Six Flags Magic Mountain) where they are given second billing after a puppet show ("Puppet Show and Spinal Tap") they plan the show omitting all the Tufnel-composed tracks. This leaves them with about 10 minutes of material. Against St. Hubbins' initial reluctance, faced with a dearth of material to perform the group is forced to launch "The new birth of Spinal Tap, Mark 2", with Smalls' fusion-esque, "Jazz Odyssey", which is roundly rejected by their already diminishing fan base.

After that, it becomes apparent to the remaining members that Spinal Tap cannot continue as it has been, and consider winding-up the band. St. Hubbins and Smalls reconsider "Saucy Jack", their long-abandoned idea for a musical based on Jack the Ripper (perhaps a jab at any number of overwrought rock and roll concept albums, probably those of the Kinks in the late 70s). Backstage at their last show, before the band takes the stage, Tufnel returns to tell the group that "Sex Farm", one of their songs from the album Shark Sandwich, treated with a frosty reception in the States (with one review only reading "s*** Sandwich") has become a big hit in Japan and that their former manager would like to arrange a tour. His entreaties are initially rebuffed, but later, as Tufnel watches from the wings and mouths the words to "Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight", St. Hubbins relents and invites his friend back onstage.

The film ends with Spinal Tap performing in Japan with new drummer, Joe "Mama" Besser (a reference to one of the latter members of The Three Stooges as well as a pun on the comic insult standby "yo mama"), after Mick Shrimpton's sudden death from spontaneous human combustion. As the band plays on stage, reinstated manager Ian Faith stands proudly offstage, aggressively brandishing the cricket bat he carries to assert his dominance, while David's girlfriend sits by passively. The revival in Japan is a nod to KISS, who toured extensively in Japan after popularity began to wane in the US in the early 80s. Deep Purple also held a similar embrace of Japanese fans, although they didn't suffer poor popularity like the band.

. . .

Other actors in the film are Tony Hendra as the group manager Ian Faith and June Chadwick as St. Hubbin's interfering girlfriend Jeanine. Actors Paul Shaffer, Fred Willard, Fran Drescher, Bruno Kirby, Howard Hesseman, Ed Begley Jr., Patrick Macnee, Anjelica Huston, Dana Carvey and Billy Crystal all play supporting roles or make cameo appearances in the film. Scream queen starlet Brinke Stevens appears in an uncredited cameo as a groupie or girlfriend of a band member.

In 2002, This Is Spinal Tap was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

The movie cut a little too close to home for some musicians. Robert Plant, Dee Snider and Ozzy Osbourne all reported that, like Spinal Tap, they had become lost in confusing arena backstage hallways trying to make their way to the stage.[4] [5] Singer Tom Waits claimed he cried upon viewing it and Eddie Van Halen has said that when he first saw the film, everyone else in the room with him laughed as he failed to see the humor in the film. "Everything in that movie had happened to me," Van Halen said. When Dokken's George Lynch saw the movie he is said to have exclaimed, "That's us! How'd they make a movie about us?"

Who's gonna carjack your f***in' K-Car?

19. Swingers (1996)

200px-Swingers_ver2.jpg

(5 of 23 lists - 60 points - highest ranking #5 TheBlackSox8)

Swingers is a film released in 1996 about the lives of single, unemployed actors living on the 'eastside' of Hollywood, California during the 1990s swing revival. Written by Jon Favreau and directed by Doug Liman, the movie starred Favreau and Vince Vaughn, and also featured performances by Ron Livingston and Heather Graham.

Mike has recently broken up with his long-time girlfriend of six years and is still having trouble letting go and moving on. His friend Trent takes him on an overnight trip to Las Vegas in an attempt to get him back in the game. Trent picks up two cocktail waitresses, but Mike's obsession with his ex-girlfriend spoils the one-night stand. Back in Los Angeles, Mike attends various Hollywood and Los Feliz hot spots while his swinger friends coach him on the rules of seduction. Mike makes several awkward attempts at speaking to women, but they all end disastrously. Along the way, the group discusses movies, video games, and their floundering careers in show business. Finally Mike gets the hang of talking to women and connects with a beautiful girl named Lorraine. The next day, he gets a call from the ex-girlfriend he's been obsessing over but rejects her offer to get back together when Lorraine rings in on the other line. While discussing Mike's new situation at a diner, Trent interrupts to make a disastrous attempt at flirting with a woman nearby. As Trent tries to recover from the embarrassment, Mike smiles as the tables turn.

. . .

The characters in the film idolize the swinging lifestyle of Frank Sinatra and the Rat Pack; in fact the number and makeup of the group of friends are an homage to the original group.

This film was rated #57 on Bravo's "100 Funniest Movies." The film was honored on the 2007 Spike TV Guys' Choice Awards.

Hollywood and show business is a significant theme in the film, and it makes many references to other movies. Trent's license plate reads "THX1138", a reference to the license plate of a hot rod in George Lucas's American Graffiti, which was itself a reference to Lucas's previous movie, THX 1138. The theme music to Jaws is used when Trent has an unpleasant conversation with a woman.

The film also emulates a number of famous sequences from popular movies. The diner scene and slow-motion credit sequence from Reservoir Dogs are emulated as the swingers discuss movies and then walk out to their cars to go bar-hopping. The long following shot through the side entrance of a club from Goodfellas is also emulated by the swingers as they enter a club through the kitchen entrance. Both movies and directors Martin Scorsese and Quentin Tarantino are discussed by the group.

I'm not getting bitter. I almost lost a nipple, okay.

18. The 40-Year-Old Virgin (2005)

200px-40-Year-OldVirginMoviePoster.jpg

(5 of 23 lists - 64 points - highest ranking #1 Controlled Chaos)

The 40-Year-Old Virgin is a 2005 comedy film, written by Judd Apatow and co-written by Steve Carell, though it featured a great deal of improvised dialogue.[1] It also stars Catherine Keener, Romany Malco, Seth Rogen (who was also the co-producer) and Paul Rudd, as well as featuring Leslie Mann (Apatow's wife) and Nancy Walls (Carell's wife) in small roles.

Andy Stitzer (Steve Carell) is the eponymous 40-year-old virgin. While being a very well-meaning, highly neurotic and something of a stereotypical nerd, he lives alone, collects action figures, enjoys video games, framed a poster of eighties rock band Asia, and his social life seems to consist of watching Survivor with his elderly neighbors.

Andy works in the stockroom at an electronics store called SmartTech. His co-workers include the affable David (Paul Rudd), who is tormented by memories of his old girlfriend Amy (Mindy Kaling); the burly Cal (Seth Rogen), a crude, self-proclaimed novelist and stoner; and Jay (Romany Malco), a self-styled ladies' man with the mannerisms of a stereotypical gangsta. When a friend drops out of a poker game, they reluctantly invite the withdrawn Andy to join them. Andy turns out to be surprisingly good at poker due to his playing the game online, but when the conversations turns to past sexual exploits, they quickly realize Andy is still a virgin, and resolve to help him lose his virginity.

Andy is at first reluctant to go along with them, but after a heartfelt talk with David, he agrees to give it a try. The gang’s efforts prove to be unsuccessful: they take Andy to a bar, where Jay advises him to hit on drunk women, but this backfires when the girl Andy leaves with drives the two of them home drunk, wrecks the car, and vomits on him; Jay recommends that Andy get his chest waxed, but Andy finds it so painful that he leaves halfway through; David gives Andy his "big box of porn" to help him "loosen up" sexually, but to no avail; they all go to a speed dating lunch, with no success, and at which David encounters ex-girlfriend Amy, sending him into a downward spiral of depression. Later, Cal advises Andy to be mysterious when talking to women, which results in Beth (Elizabeth Banks), a bookstore clerk, taking a liking to Andy. Andy starts to open up and true friendships begin to form with his co-workers, Andy impresses his boss (Jane Lynch) with his salesmanship and she promotes him to floor salesman.

Eventually, after Jay hires Andy a prostitute who turns out to be a transvestite, Andy tells them that he is taking matters into his own hands, and he lands a date with Trish Piedmont (Catherine Keener), a mother of three who works in a store across the street from SmartTech. It is later revealed that one of Trish's kids has a kid too, making Trish a "hot grandma" according to Cal. Andy and Trish's first date goes well, and they almost end up having sex, but Andy can't figure out how to use a condom, and they are interrupted by Trish’s teenage daughter Marla (Kat Dennings) outraged at the fact that her mother is allowed to have sex, yet she isn't. On their next date, Andy decides to tell Trish he is a virgin, but just before he does so, she suggests that they postpone having sex, to which Andy enthusiastically agrees; they decide they won’t have sex until their twentieth date. Meanwhile, David's brush with Amy prompts him to become unstable and eventually resort to celibacy, citing Andy as an inspiration, while Jay’s girlfriend breaks up with him when she finds out he’s been cheating on her, leading him to an argument with an obnoxious customer. Andy comforts Jay who reveals his breakup with Jill and advises Andy that sex can ruin a relationship.

Andy's friends' problems sort themselves out, however, so they learn nothing. Jay's girlfriend realizes she is pregnant and takes him back; and Cal hires an attractive young woman named Bernadette to work in the stockroom in order to lure David out of celibacy.

Andy and Trish’s relationship is a strong one, with Trish even convincing Andy to sell his precious collectible action figures in order to raise enough money to open his own store. While at work, Andy is promoted to floor manager because of his surprising talents as a salesman. Things are going well until Andy and Trish finally reach the twentieth date, at which point Andy panics and they have a big argument which ends with him storming out. He turns up at a nightclub where Jay is celebrating his girlfriend’s pregnancy, and proceeds to get very drunk. Andy runs into Beth at the bar, and they leave for her apartment. Meanwhile, David finally relinquishes his celibacy and hooks up with Bernadette, and Trish’s daughter Marla (who found out that Andy is a virgin) convinces her to go and make up with Andy.

At Beth’s apartment, Andy sobers up and starts to have second thoughts. Then, his three friends arrive at the apartment to talk him out of it, so he leaves with them to make up with Trish (although Cal stays behind to hook up with Beth). When Andy gets home, he finds Trish waiting for him; she has found his big box of porn, and now considers Andy to be some sort of sexual deviant, and leaves in disgust. Andy chases her car on his bike (to the music of “Heat of the Moment” by Asia), and gets involved in an accident which results in him being thrown through a two sided billboard truck and landing on the road in front of traffic. She rushes to his side in concern, and he finally confesses to her that he is a virgin. She realizes this is why he has been acting so strangely, and they tell each other that they love each other.

They end up getting married with everyone in attendance, with a sidelong mention of Andy's action figures having sold for a total of half a million dollars, and finally consummate their relationship on their wedding night. Andy finally loses his virginity with Trish in their hotel room. The film ends with an over-the-top Hair-style musical scene in which the cast of the film sing and dance to the song “Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In”.

. . .

The film received largely positive reviews: Rotten Tomatoes declared it the "Best Reviewed Comedy of 2005",[3] with 84% of 160 critics giving it a "fresh" review.

In December 2005, the film was chosen by the American Film Institute as one of the ten best movies of the year, the only comedy film to be so recognized (though the comedy-drama The Squid and the Whale was also chosen). The film was also ranked #30 on Bravo's 100 Funniest Movies.

The studio was worried that Andy looked like Jeffrey Dahmer, a comment that led to multiple improvised references to Andy's similarity to a serial killer.

Steve Carell was filmed actually having his chest waxed. He was also presented with the option of trimming the hair before filming to lessen the pain, but declined in favor of authenticity. He further stated in an interview on Australia's Rove Live that the scene was unnecessarily painful because the waxers forgot to oil his nipples.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 09:40 AM)
If this is only ranked 18th, the whole system is out of whack. :)

it was top 5 on my list...maybe top 3, cant remember...i know i gave it serious consideration for #1 and in time i may end up considering the best

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 10:41 AM)
it was top 5 on my list...maybe top 3, cant remember...i know i gave it serious consideration for #1 and in time i may end up considering the best

I've just never seen a movie that had so many different characters make me laugh so f***in hard outloud.

All the main characters have their own parts that crack you up. But Leslie Mann as the drunk who pukes on Andy cracked me up...The Boss lady cracked me up. Mooj and Haziz, the worker peeps are hysterical. The little hard ass dude that comes in to the store and f***s with Jay. Beth at the book store. The Jew fro kid at the sex ed thing....Jonah hill buying the boots....I can go on and on.....there are just so many people that make you laugh out loud it's insane.

If this was top comedy it may not have been my #1, but as far as funniest....I can't remember laughing that hard, while not under the influence, at anything in my life.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 22, 2008 -> 10:11 PM)

Oh man, I forgot about Orgy of the Dead. Let's not confuse people, these aren't modern day Las Vegas strippers. These are some rough ladies. Also, don't forget the awesome banter between, if I remember correctly, the Wolfman and the Mummy.

Crisswell's classic line "Throw gold at her! MORE GOLD!"

I've only seen it on MST3K, but "Manos, the Hands of Fate" is God awful

Edited by SoxFan562004

Hey, why don't I just go and eat some hay. I can lay by the bay, make things out of clay, I just may, what'd ya say?

17. Happy Gilmore (1996)

200px-Happygilmoreposter.jpg

(6 of 23 lists - 68 points - highest ranking #4 Milkman delivers)

Happy Gilmore is a 1996 American sports comedy film directed by Dennis Dugan and starring Adam Sandler.

Happy Gilmore (Adam Sandler) is an aspiring ice hockey player who masters a powerful slapshot that his late father taught him as a child. However, his aggression and poor skating ability render it impossible for him to make any hockey team. His grandmother (Frances Bay), with whom he's lived almost all his life due to an unfortunate hockey related incident which killed his father, has not paid taxes on her home for several years. As such, she owes $270,000 to the IRS and the house that Happy's grandfather "built with his bare hands" is about to be seized. A pair of movers challenge Happy to shoot golfballs and he hits 400 yards three times. After making $40, Happy goes to the local country club to make money. When a one-handed ex-golf pro Chubbs Peterson (Carl Weathers) sees Happy's shot, he convinces Happy to join the PGA Tour.

Aspiring Tour winner Shooter McGavin (Christopher McDonald) sees Gilmore as a threat, and tries to thwart any attempt of his to steal his thunder. Although his golf game and his manners on the green aren't rounded (his driving is excellent but he has trouble when it comes to putting), Happy is guided by Chubbs and the tour PR head (Julie Bowen), who help him in finding his own way to win tournaments with a cooler head. Although his time on the course is jeopardized when he was goaded into attacking Bob Barker, Happy manages to make some extra money by signing an endorsement deal with Subway, thus earning the $275,000 he needs to buy back his grandmother's house.

Unfortunately, at the auction, he is outbid by Shooter McGavin, who offers Happy the house under the terms that he in exchange quits the tour. Happy initially accepts this offer, citing that his only goal was to save the house, but is persuaded to continue with his new golf career by the notion that his grandmother would rather see him succeed than have the house. Shooter agrees to give Happy the house if he beats him in the tour championship.

With some help from Chubbs and some lessons at the nearby miniature golf course, Happy improves his putting skills, but Chubbs subsequently dies in an accident. Determined to win the game for Chubbs, Happy goes head-to-head with Shooter, and- despite Shooter's attempts at sabotage, such as having a deranged fan drive onto the course and topple a TV tower in front of the last hole- wins the championship, thereby getting his grandmother's house back.

. . .

The RT community gave the film 83%, considering it fresh. It was also placed at #97 on Bravo's 100 Funniest movies. Many Adam Sandler fans see this as the best movie Sandler has ever starred in along with Billy Madison, giving the film a strong cult following.

During a 2007 CBS prime-time special honoring Bob Barker's 50th anniversary in television, the clip of the fight from the movie was played. Afterward, Sandler made a surprise appearance to thank Barker and read a poem in his honor.

NHL stars Vincent Lecavalier and Joe Sakic make cameo appearances as players at the hockey tryouts.

You banging the daughter and the grandma? How much jam you got, man?

16. (tie) Wedding Crashers (2005)

200px-Wedding_crashers_poster.jpg

(5 of 23 lists - 75 points - highest ranking #2 TheBlackSox8)

Wedding Crashers is a 2005 comedy film, directed by David Dobkin. The film stars Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn, with Christopher Walken, Rachel McAdams, Isla Fisher, Jane Seymour, and Bradley Cooper.

John Beckwith (Wilson) and Jeremy Grey (Vaughn), single bachelors, are long-time friends and business partners in divorce mediation in Washington D.C. The friends frequently "crash" (attend as uninvited guests) wedding parties to meet women, working from a set of rules taught to them by Chazz Reinhold (Will Ferrell). The duo always have cover stories for inquisitive guests and inevitably become the hit of every reception, to charm their way into the hearts of a bridesmaid for one night only.

After a successful season, Jeremy spots the wedding of the daughter of the Secretary of the Treasury William Cleary (Walken) and his wife, Kathleen (Seymour). After infiltrating the lavish event as brothers, John and Jeremy set their sights on two bridesmaids, also daughters of Secretary Cleary: Claire (McAdams) and Gloria Cleary (Fisher). While Jeremy manages to make it on the beach with claimed virgin and “psycho clinger” Gloria, John works on Claire, who in turn uses his lines to enliven her reception toast. While talking afterwards, John is blocked by Claire's U.S. Naval Academy graduate boyfriend Zack (Cooper). John convinces a resistant Jeremy to break the rules and accept an invitation to an extended weekend party at the Cleary family compound.

Jeremy and John are convinced into playing touch football where Jeremy is seriously hurt by Claire's boyfriend. Gloria puts Band-Aids on Jeremy, expecting to have sex with him. However, she is turned down and is given a philosophical love speech. Jeremy is shown to not really like Gloria all that much. At dinner later that day, John proceeds to spike Zach's water which makes him sick, letting John have some alone time with Claire. That night, Gloria ties up Jeremy while he sleeps and then proceeds to have domination sex. The next morning, Jeremy asks John to leave the island with him but John convinces him otherwise. The family takes a boat ride in the afternoon which ends in a hunting trip in which Zach shoots Jeremy in the back, albeit not fatally. John and Claire leave on a bike ride in which they seem to connect deeply. In the meantime, Gloria reveals to relieved Jeremy that she was not a virgin; rather, she merely told him so, as she “thought that's what guys liked to hear.” John and Claire return from their bike ride, after which Zach proposes to Claire, but Claire does not outright accept. John talks to Claire afterwards, as she is apparently discomforted by the proposal. John tries to comfort her but ends up telling her his true feelings for her. They are interrupted by Jeremy running out of the house being chased by the grandmother with a gun. Zach comes out and tells the family what the "brothers" really are, as he had them privately investigated. John and Jeremy are forced to leave the island.

John and Jeremy return to their normal lives, however, John is distraught, as he was never given the chance to reconcile with Claire, even though he attempted to contact her multiple times. During one such attempt, he and Jeremy pretend to be waiters at an event the Cleary family is attending. However, John is caught and beaten by Zach. He returns home to find Jeremy locked in a passionate moment with Gloria. This results in an estrangement between the two, as they no longer see eye-to-eye. John crashes several more weddings by himself, but behaves irrationally due to his longing for Claire and fails to score with anyone. Meanwhile, Jeremy continues his relationship with Gloria, culminating in an accepted marriage proposal. Jeremy attempts to reconcile with John, asking him to be his best man, but John cannot bear to think about the marriage and asks Jeremy to leave.

John meets Chazz to reaffirm Jeremy's apparent stupidity in getting engaged. During the visit, he discovers that Chazz has moved onto “funeral crashing”, as he believes that grief is the best aphrodesiac. John joins Chazz on an outing, but is taken aback by the amount of love shown by the widow of the deceased. He reconsiders his stance on love and marriage and rushes to Jeremy's wedding. He joins them mid-ceremony as the best man, but disrupts it by attempting to speak to Claire on stage. After intense arguments and a mild scuffle, Claire finally reveals that she, too, has feelings for John, and rejects Zach. The film ends with Jeremy getting married to Gloria, John uniting with Claire, and the two couples driving away to their honeymoon. Along the way, they see a wedding and decide to stop.

. . .

Bradley Cooper was mentioned in the August 2006 issue of GQ as one of "The Top Twelve Movie Dicks". His character from Wedding Crashers placed Number Two behind William Zabka's character from The Karate Kid.

Will Ferrell's line of: "I almost nunchucked you right there, you don't even realize," is taken almost verbatim from Vince Vaughn's line in the film Mr. & Mrs. Smith. Vaughn's line is "I almost killed you right there, you don't even realize." Mr. & Mrs. Smith was released approximately one month prior to Wedding Crashers.

On April 24, 2006 Wedding Crashers topped the nominations for the year's MTV Movie Awards with five including Best Movie. It won Best Movie, On-Screen Team (Vaughn and Wilson), and Breakthrough Performance (Isla Fisher).

[Jane climbs a ladder]

Frank: Nice beaver!

Jane: [producing a stuffed beaver] Thank you. I just had it stuffed.

16. (tie) The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad!(1988)

200px-The_Naked_Gun_Poster.jpg

(6 of 23 lists - 75 points - highest ranking #2 mr_genius)

The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad! is a 1988 comedy film, the first in a series of movies starring Leslie Nielsen, Priscilla Presley, George Kennedy, and O. J. Simpson. The three films (the other two being The Naked Gun 2½: The Smell of Fear, and Naked Gun 33⅓: The Final Insult) chronicle the adventures of Nielsen's character, the bumbling police detective Lieutenant Frank Drebin.

The film's title parodies The Nude Bomb, another film spun-off from a satirical TV series (Get Smart), but could also be interpreted as a general "sex and violence" cliché that is usually expected from a Hollywood film of the era. The film is marketed with the tagline "You've read the ad, now see the movie!"

The movie series is based on the character created by Nielsen in the television series Police Squad!. The core creative team behind Police Squad! and the movie series includes the team of David Zucker, Jim Abrahams, and Jerry Zucker as well as Pat Proft in varying combinations.

The films all feature extremely fast-paced, off-the-wall, slapstick style comedy, including a lot of visual and verbal puns and gags.

The plot of the series is a basic parody of detective film clichés, featuring stereotypical characters, settings, and situations. Many other film genres and styles are mocked as well, and the movies are full of references to current events and contemporary pop culture.

The movie starts in a meeting in Beirut with a collection of anti-American leaders: Ayatollah Khomeini, Mikhail Gorbachev (who claims he has the Americans believing he is "a nice guy"), Yasser Arafat, Muammar al-Gaddafi and Idi Amin, who are planning a terrorist act. The man who is later shown to be Pahpshmir is seen at this meeting. It turns out that Frank Drebin has been posing undercover as a waiter; he beats up all the attendees, wipes off Gorbachev's forehead birthmark ("I knew it!!!", proclaims Drebin), and escapes/falls out the window.

Back in Los Angeles, Officer Nordberg is investigating a heroin drug operation at the docks when he is seen by villain-in-disguise Vincent Ludwig, and is shot numerous times by Ludwig's goons, then accidently runs into a hot stove, a wedding cake, and then a bear trap, before falling into the harbor. (It is a running gag that Nordberg keeps getting badly injured, but somehow manages to survive). After being briefed on the case by his colleague Ed, Frank visits Nordberg in hospital, where there is later another attempt on the injured man's life. Frank chases the assassin (a doctor) in a commandeered car operated by a panicked student driver and Houseman's unflappable instructor, until the luckless assassin crashes an army rocket into a fireworks factory. Over the ensuing carnage, Drebin proclaims "There's nothing to see here!" to the assembled onlookers.

Pahpshmir is seen meeting with Vincent Ludwig in his office, where Ludwig says that he will assassinate Queen Elizabeth II (who is on a state visit to the USA) for $20 million. Ludwig demonstrates that he has a way of turning anyone into an unknowing assassin at the press of Ludwig's beeper; it appears that the victims are responding to a post-hypnotic suggestion, but the film makes no effort to clarify the point further (in fact, showing another instance minutes later where a doctor, hypnotized by the beeper, tries to smother Nordberg with a pillow).

As he works on the case, Drebin meets and falls in love with Ludwig's assistant Jane Spencer. It is eventually revealed that Jane knows nothing about Ludwig's plot, and after the pair spend the night together, she helps Frank with his investigation.

Following Drebin-inspired disasters at a reception for the Queen and Ludwig's penthouse, the climax of the film centers on the Queen's visit to a California Angels baseball game. Frank must find out how Ludwig plans to assassinate her, while also hiding from his fellow policemen, who are now under orders to arrest him. Frank knocks out "renowned opera singer" Enrico Pallazzo, takes his clothes and proceeds to brutally mangle the national anthem, along with Pallazzo's reputation. Frank then pretends to be an umpire to search the players for the assassin. He knows the assassination will take place during the seventh-inning stretch, and when he tries to delay the end of the top of the seventh inning by intentionally making bad calls, he inadvertently triggers an all-out brawl between the Angels and their opponent the Seattle Mariners. He eventually saves the Queen's life by accidentally shooting a fat woman with a sleep-inducing dart fired from his cufflinks; the woman falls on top of the hypnotized player (Reggie Jackson), who was about to shoot the Queen. The crowd cheers "Enrico Pallazzo's" heroics.

Ludwig escapes to the top of the stadium, and holds Jane hostage at gun-point, where Frank shoots him with his other cufflink dart. Ludwig falls several stories off the stadium balcony, smashing to earth in the parking lot and getting run over by both a bus and a steamroller. A marching band performing "Louie, Louie" then tromps over his flattened body, pressing the beeper which makes Jane try to kill Frank with Ludwig's gun. Frank talks her out of it, and gives her an engagement ring. His speech is broadcast on the stadium screen, causing the teams to stop fighting and make up. The mayor thanks Frank, saying the whole world owes him a debt of gratitude, and he is also congratulated by Nordberg. The latter, while still wheelchair-bound, seems much better until Frank pats him on the back, sending him zooming down the aisle and up over the edge of the stadium as the movie ends.

. . .

Major League Baseball players Reggie Jackson and Jay Johnstone have cameo roles as themselves, as do umpires Joe West and Hank Robinson. Professional announcers Curt Gowdy, Jim Palmer, Tim McCarver, Mel Allen, Dick Enberg and Dick Vitale appear as play-by-play commentators, as does Dr. Joyce Brothers.

The queen's reception was filmed at the Ambassador Hotel, which closed almost exactly a month after this film opened, so this may have been the last film to feature scenes at the Hotel while it was still in business. The Ambassador is noteworthy for having been the location where Robert F. Kennedy was assassinated.

In 2000, readers of Total Film magazine voted the first Naked Gun the 39th greatest comedy film of all time. It was also voted the 14th best comedy of all time in a Channel 4 poll.

The plot is mostly based on the 1977 Charles Bronson movie Telefon, including a word-for-word copy of the scene in which the assassination method is revealed.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 12:19 PM)
Oh man, I forgot about Orgy of the Dead. Let's not confuse people, these aren't modern day Las Vegas strippers. These are some rough ladies. Also, don't forget the awesome banter between, if I remember correctly, the Wolfman and the Mummy.

Crisswell's classic line "Throw gold at her! MORE GOLD!"

That was THE LINE line that had my wife and I laughing for 10 minutes. And, yeah, these were some classy ladies.

I have to admit I've never seen all of Glen or Glenda, so I know I better do that or I'll get kicked out of the Edward D. Wood Fan Club.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 03:04 PM)
Nice, The Naked Gun cracks me up to this day and I've seen it countless times

the entire scene at the baseball game is 20 minutes of continual laughing for me....

boo to wedding crashers...overrated IMO

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 12:12 PM)
I've just never seen a movie that had so many different characters make me laugh so f***in hard outloud.

All the main characters have their own parts that crack you up. But Leslie Mann as the drunk who pukes on Andy cracked me up...The Boss lady cracked me up. Mooj and Haziz, the worker peeps are hysterical. The little hard ass dude that comes in to the store and f***s with Jay. Beth at the book store. The Jew fro kid at the sex ed thing....Jonah hill buying the boots....I can go on and on.....there are just so many people that make you laugh out loud it's insane.

If this was top comedy it may not have been my #1, but as far as funniest....I can't remember laughing that hard, while not under the influence, at anything in my life.

yeah man everyone in there is so funny...and some of the deleted clips on the DVD are even better....steve carell is the least funny of the main characters..and that is saying something...Paul Rudd is brilliant in this and in Knocked up...so subtly funny in knocked up especially