Barry Zito

RME JICO

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 08:23 PM)
I have a feeling that there were a lot of Oakland A's players who were on performance enhancers in the past.

No kidding. Giambi and Tejada weren't exactly positive clubhouse influences in that regard.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 04:18 PM)
I guess I'll be the one to bring this up also....I also find it interesting that his peak years were in Oakland shortly after the time that Jason Giambi's peak years happened, and his last really great years were 2002-2003. Right before the start of PED Suspensions.

Maybe it's not fair to bring that up with every guy who falls off a cliff after 2003, but that's the bed the owners and MLBPA made when they let the problem fester for so long.

This is weak. If using PEDs allowed Zito extra zip on his fastball, then his strikeout numbers make no sense. They dropped precipitously from 2001 to 2003, and actually recovered after testing began. He hasn't become dramatically smaller. He hasn't become injury-prone since testing began.

Speculation is gonna happen, but you should at least provide some reason to believe the suspicion is reasonable.

I don't know why Barry Zito is now amongst the league's worst pitchers. And, frankly, I don't care.

But, I do know that when all is said and done, his contract may go down as the worst in Major League Baseball history--perhaps even all of professional sport seeing as it is all guaranteed money.

QUOTE (AddisonStSox @ Apr 24, 2008 -> 10:51 AM)
I don't know why Barry Zito is now amongst the league's worst pitchers. And, frankly, I don't care.

But, I do know that when all is said and done, his contract may go down as the worst in Major League Baseball history--perhaps even all of professional sport seeing as it is all guaranteed money.

He's going to have a lot of work to do to beat out Mike Hampton. He's losing games but at least he's taking the ball.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 24, 2008 -> 12:53 PM)
He's going to have a lot of work to do to beat out Mike Hampton. He's losing games but at least he's taking the ball.

Hampton: eight-year, $121 million

Zito: seven-year, $126 million

Not only is Zito getting roughly $3M more per season, he is harpooning his team's chances each and every time he takes the mound. Not only is he getting absolutely torched, he has taxed the bullpen tremendously and completely hamstrung his team's chances of signing any other premier free agents.

Advantage: Zito

QUOTE (AddisonStSox @ Apr 24, 2008 -> 10:58 AM)

Not only is Zito getting roughly $3M more per season, he is harpooning his team's chances each and every time he takes the mound. Not only is he getting absolutely torched, he has taxed the bullpen tremendously and completely hamstrung his team's chances of signing any other premier free agents.

He's getting $3 million less per season, but he signed his contract 10 years later. Assume a couple percent inflation of the currency per year, and Hampton's deal rapidly becomes worth more in "Real money" per season. And that says nothing about the fact that the average baseball salary has been moving up faster than the inflation rate.

Per Rotoworld:

Barry Zito was hammered for eight runs in just three innings against the Reds on Sunday to drop to 0-6 on the season.

Surely any of us would have accepted $126 million to lose every game we started for the Giants, but at least Zito looks fun with the big curve and laid back attitude. In addition to the 0-6 record, Zito has a 7.53 ERA and 11/15 K/BB ratio. He's not going to get pulled from the rotation, but the club may put him on the disabled list at some point.

His drop off is off the charts. SF must be kicking themselves in the arse for this one. At least they have Rowand to make up for it, lol.

QUOTE (AddisonStSox @ Apr 24, 2008 -> 11:58 AM)

Here is the very same debate on ESPN.com.

Looks like Jayson Stark is stealing our ideas ;)

QUOTE (AddisonStSox @ Apr 24, 2008 -> 12:58 PM)

Dude, Hampton signed that contract a decade ago... his contract is easily worth more than Zito's.

Zito might be headed to the bullpen. Rotoworld sums it up:

The San Jose Mercury News reports that the Giants could move Barry Zito to the bullpen.

It's either that or start skipping his spot in the rotation. Even though Kevin Correia went on the disabled list on Sunday, the Giants could prefer Pat Misch to Zito as a fourth starter. Zito has six years and $112.5 million left on his contract. Awesome. Apr. 28 - 12:26 pm et