All Things Pro-Obama

Soxy

Let's try to contain the Obama cheerleading to one thread (and the Clinton bashing).

So, please, please, please put it here.

ETA: All comments in this thread must (obviously) follow Soxtalk's (And the Fil's) policies about personal attacks and whatnot.

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And to kick things off...

A reader points to a flap underway in New Zealand, in which Hillary -- asked by Newsweek, for a good joke -- told a fairly insulting one about Prime Minister Helen Clark, referring to her (inaccurately) as the "former" prime minister.

As the blogger Rachel Morris points out, the New Zealand press, but along with creating some friction with a charter member of the Coalition of the Willing, the incident points to a broader trend: Clinton, despite her image as a steady hand on foreign policy, leads the field on actual foreign policy blunders this cycle.

Along with the New Zealand flap, she's twice created real tension with key heads of state: Putin, who took it badly when she said he "doesn't have a soul"; and Musharraf, whose government reacted furiously when she suggested he might have had Benazir Bhutto killed.

She also made a fairly basic error on the structure of the Pakistani government, and more recently (if, it seems, deliberately) rattled the foreign policy establishment by openly threatening nuclear retaliation against Iran.

These stories haven't really been told as a narrative, because they don't fit the existing narrative. But they are, together, a fairly striking batch.

LINK

Show Us Some Real Money, Hillary!

As I suspected, the "Hillary raised $10 million online overnight" report that the Washington Post ran with earlier today was too good to be true. I don't know if the mistake is the reporter's or if someone at Camp Hillary was spinning a bit too fast, but there's no way they raised that much since her win in Pennsylvania yesterday.

An email from Terry McAuliffe, Clinton campaign chairman, that I received three hours ago, says "More than 50,000 people have contributed to the campaign for the very first time in the last 24 hours alone." If 80% of Clinton's donations are from new givers, that implies a total number of about 60,000 donations. If we're very generous and assume an average donation of $100, which is high for first-time donors, that gives Clinton a current take of at most $6 million.

Reading the Post's report from its Trail blog, which was by Matthew Mosk, it looks like the over-spin came from Hassan Nemazee, a finance co-chair for Clinton and longtime Democratic fatcat. A Google search shows Nemazee fed the same line to Business Week, which cited him for the news that Clinton supposedly took in $10 million by 2pm this afternoon.

Why am I bothering to knock this particular claim down to size? Because 90% of politics is about perception, and if a campaign is perceived to be running out of money, or floating in money, that affects what other people will think and do about it. Internet-driven fundraising is an amazing thing, because the costs are so low and the speed so seemingly instantaneous. But anyone who reports on it should be careful to remember that the campaigns can easily hype these numbers, and by the time anyone checks for the truth it won't matter.

The same is true, by the way, for the Obama campaign, as Patrick Ruffini has shown that the Obama campaign's online widget showing its donor total has occasionally behaved in odd ways. The best solution to this problem of verifiability, and the lack thereof, would be real-time donation transparency, as was practiced by the Ron Paul campaign. Unfortunately, that's hardly likely from a major campaign any time soon.

LINK

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Apr 24, 2008 -> 09:52 AM)
I'm ambivalent. Or maybe indifferent. I'm still not sure which, though it probably doesn't matter.

I used to be indecisive...now I'm not so sure.

RIP Benny Hill

Interesting take. There flaws in the logic (such as delegates who might switch to Clinton), but it's an interesting numbers game...

43 Superdelegates to End It

Obama needs only 43 more unpledged superdelegates to clinch the nomination. That's right. Not 100, not 60. Just 43. At 43 more currently-named, unpledged superdelegates, Obama and his supporters can claim that Hillary Clinton cannot win.