All Things Pro-Obama

Soxy

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 14, 2008 -> 09:42 AM)
I'm not so sure. A lot of the people in Afghanistan, who are imported to do bad works, are probably from neighboring countries - Iran, Pakistan, the little Stans... and those are not Arabic speaking countries. Add that to the locals, and you probably have a large majority who speak something other than Arabic.

Might Arabic be a "common language"? I honestly dont know. I just find it odd that the reporter dismissed Obama's comments with out any support against it.

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 14, 2008 -> 09:42 AM)
I'm not so sure. A lot of the people in Afghanistan, who are imported to do bad works, are probably from neighboring countries - Iran, Pakistan, the little Stans... and those are not Arabic speaking countries. Add that to the locals, and you probably have a large majority who speak something other than Arabic.

Obama still has the right general idea although he has the semantics and details wrong. Over-emphasis on one leads to neglect on the other.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 14, 2008 -> 09:46 AM)
Obama still has the right general idea although he has the semantics and details wrong. Over-emphasis on one leads to neglect on the other.

In all fairness, I'd be bashing Clinton if she said the same thing and it was wrong. But that is why I want to see the facts first. i just dont want to assume he is wrong or he is right.

New Poll Deflates Clintons "White Vote" Argument

There are some key numbers buried in the internals of today's Quinnipiac poll that go some way towards deflating Hillary's claim that she would outperform Obama against McCain among working class whites. It finds that McCain beats both Hillary and Obama by an identical margin among working class (no college) white voters.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 14, 2008 -> 10:21 AM)
I thought you weren't worrying about polls regarding November match ups until July?

When it comes to "who can beat McCain" I am not. But this poll directly conflicts the major argument the Clinton campaign has been making int he past week.

For those that found Clinton's win impressive yesterday:

States & elections won with 60% or more of the vote:

BARACK OBAMA:

15 STATES + DC + VI

* Virgin Islands (89.9%)

* Idaho (79%)

* Hawaii (76%)

* Alaska (75%)

* District of Columbia (75%)

* Kansas (74%)

* Washington (68%)

* Nebraska (68%)

* Minnesota (67%)

* Colorado (67%)

* Georgia (67%)

* Illinois (65%)

* Virginia (64%)

* Maryland (62%)

* North Dakota (61%)

* Wyoming (61%)

* Mississippi (61%)

HILLARY CLINTON:

2 States

* Arkansas (70%)

* West Virginia (??)

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 14, 2008 -> 10:28 AM)
That doesn't make sense to me. So which polls are you ignoring until July?

National / State by State McCain v Obama

Not that i wont point a poll out for tracking purposes. but i wont be like "OMG. Obama can never win Ohio based on this poll 3 months before the election".

The only reason i say this poll is interesting is ti directly conflicts to her argument. In the end, it doesnt matter. Obama is the nominee. It's just interesting.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

Interesting stat:

If Clinton wins Kentucky and Puerto Rico 65-35 and Obama wins Oregon 55-45 and the "split" Montana and SD 50-50... NEITHER will have 50% of the pledged delegate vote if you factor in FL and MI as they stand today. Edwards still has 31 delegates that would be needed to boost one over the other and 55 delegates from MI are "uncommitted".

With MI split 69-59 as has been proposed by the MI democratic party, Clinton needs 86% of ALL remaining pledged delegates to cross the 50% barrier with FL and MI included.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 14, 2008 -> 10:30 AM)
For those that found Clinton's win impressive yesterday:

Didn't she win by a pretty big margin in OK? I find it amusing that NY isn't on that list though, lol.

Ok, I am not sure if we should start a new thread on this, but I'd like some VP talk.

CQPolitics has an interesting take on John Edwards and the VP:

Here's the case for picking Edwards:

1. He's already been tested on the national stage and not likely to cause a distracting scandal.
  2. He appeals to the same working class white voters that back Clinton.
  3. He favors Obama's new brand of politics.
  4. He could put North Carolina and possibly other Southern states in play.
  5. Clinton would probably support him. With more than 1,700 delegates in Clinton's pocket, Obama needs to at least get her tacit approval if he wants to have a unified party.

I have been mulling Obama's VP possibilities for a while now and I really have no direction. i really like Richardson, but I dont think it gives Obama a needed boost. But, i would be satisfied with him. He also brings lots of needed experience.

The next option would be a "working class" guy who can connect on behalf of Obama with the blue-collar folks. I dont know a lot of the "qualified" people who might fit that, but Edwards is an interesting choice. Would he take it, I have no idea. I dont think Obama would take Edwards to put a state in play like NC, but he would pick him as #2 says- "He appeals to the same working class white voters that back Clinton. " Getting 7% of the vote in WV is an interesting note.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 14, 2008 -> 11:36 AM)
Ok, I am not sure if we should start a new thread on this, but I'd like some VP talk.

CQPolitics has an interesting take on John Edwards and the VP:

Here's the case for picking Edwards:

1. He's already been tested on the national stage and not likely to cause a distracting scandal.
  2. He appeals to the same working class white voters that back Clinton.
  3. He favors Obama's new brand of politics.
  4. He could put North Carolina and possibly other Southern states in play.
  5. Clinton would probably support him. With more than 1,700 delegates in Clinton's pocket, Obama needs to at least get her tacit approval if he wants to have a unified party.

I have been mulling Obama's VP possibilities for a while now and I really have no direction. i really like Richardson, but I dont think it gives Obama a needed boost. But, i would be satisfied with him. He also brings lots of needed experience.

The next option would be a "working class" guy who can connect on behalf of Obama with the blue-collar folks. I dont know a lot of the "qualified" people who might fit that, but Edwards is an interesting choice. Would he take it, I have no idea. I dont think Obama would take Edwards to put a state in play like NC, but he would pick him as #2 says- "He appeals to the same working class white voters that back Clinton. " Getting 7% of the vote in WV is an interesting note.

I think Edwards and Richardson both offer Obama a boost in communities he has a hard time with. They are also both seasoned, which helps. Edwards also has the advantage of being more charismatic than Richardson. But, Edwards would be seen as a repeat of 2004, and Richardson brings foreign policy and energy experience to the table.

I think you might see both in the new administration, somewhere. But Richardson is a better Veep choice, IMO.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 14, 2008 -> 09:04 AM)
I think Edwards and Richardson both offer Obama a boost in communities he has a hard time with. They are also both seasoned, which helps. Edwards also has the advantage of being more charismatic than Richardson. But, Edwards would be seen as a repeat of 2004, and Richardson brings foreign policy and energy experience to the table.

I think you might see both in the new administration, somewhere. But Richardson is a better Veep choice, IMO.

If you just go geographically, I think a Richardson push makes more sense that way too. He's a western guy. The traditional recent battle lines have been; The Republicans own the south, the Dems own the Northeast and the Pacific Coast, The midwest is sort of state by state, but then there's this mushy set of western states that were Red a decade ago but have trended more towards the Dems lately. As the Republicans have gone further and further right, pushed by the movement of their base in the south, the west has sort of become up for grabs, and Richardson could fit in to that motif better than Edwards.

Of course, if the Dems are winning R+15 districts in Mississippi, like we won last night...then it might not matter.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 14, 2008 -> 01:12 PM)

Probably not. Last time this happened we all thought Richardson would endorse Obama while Obama was in NM and it didnt happen.

Update to story: "How about an Obama-Edwards meeting in, say, Grand Rapids?"

INTERESTING!

I still think it is much ado about nothing.

The update has now been removed. STOP TOYING WITH ME! lol

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 14, 2008 -> 01:54 PM)
Delegate Math Update...

There are now 797 total superdelegates with the inclusions of Foster, Cazayoux and Childers.

2,026 is what's needed to nominate now -- one higher than yesterday after Dems won the congressional seat in MS-1.

There you go moving the goalposts again ;)

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 14, 2008 -> 01:16 PM)
Marc Ambinder says that the Obama campaign will be unveiling a big endorsement tonight.

i wet myself. ok, seriously, things like this tend to get blown out of proportion. A few weeks back there was a "leaked" story that several predominate Clinton supporters were flipping... it was just 2 regular voters and some minor superdelegate or something like that.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Dana Milbank just made me laugh out loud...

2:57 p.m., Yeager Airport, Charleston, W.Va.: A steep descent brings Clinton's plane to Charleston's hilltop airport. After an appropriate wait, she steps from the plane and pretends to wave to a crowd of supporters; in fact, she is waving to 10 photographers underneath the airplane's wing. She pretends to spot an old friend in the crowd, points and gives another wave; in fact, she is waving at an aide she had been talking with on the plane minutes earlier.

On the way into town, she makes an unscheduled stop at an upscale farmers market, but about 30 Clinton supporters, several wearing AFSCME T-shirts and waving Clinton campaign signs, have somehow gotten wind of it. Clinton works the crowd, signing autographs and making small talk ("Is that your dog?"). She makes her way past rows of geraniums and marigolds.

But even among the blooms, Clinton is reminded of her troubles. She stops at Ellen's Homemade Ice Cream and orders a scoop of espresso Oreo and a scoop of butter pecan. "Ooh, that looks good," she says after taking the confection, then pauses. "Now, let's see. Who's got my money?" asks the woman who has lent her campaign $11 million to keep it afloat. She laughs. "Where -- where'd they go, the people with my money?" Finally, two aides arrive to retire Clinton's dessert debt.

Full Article