UNDER AGE DRINKERS BEWARE!

J-MAN

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 25, 2008 -> 03:05 PM)
If their liquor license works like a store, restaurant, bar, etc. they could have it suspended or revoked. No big deal. IIRC some team did have it yanked for a game a few years back.

This is more about tailgating, though, not beer that Sox vendors sold to kids.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 25, 2008 -> 03:05 PM)
If their liquor license works like a store, restaurant, bar, etc. they could have it suspended or revoked. No big deal. IIRC some team did have it yanked for a game a few years back.

Good point, I think if you are underage and want to tailgate/drink, it is a risk you run. It's still breaking the law and it is their job to stop people who are breaking the law. I'm not saying I hadn't done it before I was 21, but I was well aware of the risk I was taking and wouldn't blame the security guards for doing their job. If I understand it correctly, the White Sox own the parking lot, so they may be in trouble for allowing underage drinking.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ Apr 25, 2008 -> 12:48 PM)
As I said, I hate this complaining from underage drinkers, because they shouldn't be drinking.

That the drinking age is 21 in this country is absolutely absurd.

Party on, under-agers!

QUOTE (The Beast @ Apr 25, 2008 -> 01:57 PM)
Amen!

Edit: There is one security guard in the park that I absolutely cannot stand. I'd love to point him out because I'm sure many of you would agree with me on him. He works all over, usually in the bullpen, sometimes along the foul line (left field) and sometimes he is in the dugout. He's an absolute jack ass. When we were grabbing home run balls one day, my friend and I (about 13 years old) had our hands on a ball and it barely slipped off our hands before it fell into the Sox bullpen. He gets the ball and gives it to a kid even though it was pretty much our ball, it hit off of our hands. I actually do believe I dropped it, Kyle picked it up and it bounced into the pen after that. When we asked him what that was all about, he said, "it's all about the kids, go away." I yelled "ass clown" and ran away. But still, there's other cases where we were getting autographs and one day at the Sox/Cubs game, I went to get an autograph from Ozzie---the guy is like, "No, the game is starting," and I ignored him and yelled, "Ozzie, Ozzie!" And Ozzie waved off the security guard, signed my ball and I left, giving the security guard a "f*** you" look. Yes, I can't stand Sox security but not for busting underaged drinking.

Is he the older gray-haired man that works the Bull-pen Sports bar area? If so you'd be happy to know some retard threw a beer in his face last night.

Oh yeah, the retard never got to see Crede win the game in the 9th ;)

QUOTE (SoxWS05 @ Apr 25, 2008 -> 12:37 PM)
I'm glad this issue was brought up because I F**ING HATE THE SOX SECURITY. Everybody is just trying to have a good time in the parking lot and up rides johnny rent a cop to mess with people. I'm over 21 but last season I got a ticket for drinking in public (that ticket went directly in the garbage can). I sometimes go to the game with my cousin who's under 21 but we let him drink and they wrote him a ticket last time.

There's one douche in particular who been "patrolling" the lots for the last several years whom I always get into it with. I like to park in the G lot and apparently it's the only lot where your not allowed to tailgate (for some reason). Everyone tailgates anyway and said douchbag likes to patrol through there writing public intox tickets.

The guards inside the game are cool, it's the a-holes in the parking lot who really grind my gears.

I hope you guys realize that a lot of these "rent a cops" are actually off duty police officers. You know the sworn type that carry a real gun and a badge. Some are Chicago police officers, Cook County Sheriffs Police and maybe some State. These are not rent a cops. So ask yourself, what are they supposed to do when you are basically committing a crime in front of them. It might not be a cool crime, but remember they have to conver their asses.

So lets put it another way. You Mr. Underage drinker, are obviously underage, and are having a good time drinking in the plain site of the rent a cop who really is a Chicago Police Sargent, now you do something stupid or get hurt or do something to get someone else hurt, how much you want to be that Mr. Rent a cop is going to A.) Get into trouble B.) Get sued\City get sued C:\ Make every news outlet top story. Sorry your underage drinking is not worth that police officer bringing home a check to his wife and kids.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 25, 2008 -> 01:44 PM)
So its OK when you break the rules, but not the underage drinkers. That's a pretty big bowl of hypocrisy you are serving up there...

What rules am I breaking? Please show me some proof from the ballpark rules. How does that even compare to underaged drinking?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 25, 2008 -> 01:51 PM)
You got mad at a security guard for giving a ball to a kid?

I don't know, the fact that he looked at us first and then gave the kid the ball made us angry. That wasn't what made me angry with this guy---this guy has told people to move with lack of reasoning before. (I'm one of the people who go seek autographs on the third base side before the game and always get out of the way of the folks who have seats there.)

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 25, 2008 -> 01:59 PM)
Are you really comparing calling the manager's name to underage drinking? I'm not even certain their is a rule about it, I imagine it's more etiquette and common sense.

QFT.

QUOTE (Jim Spencer @ Apr 25, 2008 -> 03:56 PM)
Is he the older gray-haired man that works the Bull-pen Sports bar area? If so you'd be happy to know some retard threw a beer in his face last night.

Oh yeah, the retard never got to see Crede win the game in the 9th ;)

No, this guy works in the White Sox bullpen and I've seen him near the dugout a few times---he also works near the third base line. I wish I had a picture since I'm sure several people would be able to identify him. I've had nothing but positive experiences with all of the other security guards.

Edited by The Beast

QUOTE (The Beast @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 08:39 AM)
What rules am I breaking? Please show me some proof from the ballpark rules. How does that even compare to underaged drinking?

Here is two for you right away...

Our Guests' experience will not be disrupted by unruly actions or behavior of others, including unauthorized persons entering the playing field.

U.S. Cellular Field will be free from foul/abusive language or obscene gestures by guests.

I'll be honest, I probably shouldn't have responded to you initially, because I know what is going to happen, but the attitude of utter contempt that you have towards anyone who doesn't act the way you feel they should is just bad. You got had to make a point of calling out everyone about the bad calls in the Cleveland series, and how they talked about the umpires for enforcing the rules, yet here you are acting JUST like the same people you called out in that thread. The irony is that you don't see it as any different. You have every rationale and excuse for why it is OK for you, and how it is different. I view it as complete hypocrisy.

Just to clarify my original post:

-It was a home run ball but it was in batting practice.

-I actually never "yelled" the term assclown, but I did say it as I turned and walked away.

"You got had to make a point of calling out everyone about the bad calls in the Cleveland series, and how they talked about the umpires for enforcing the rules, yet here you are acting JUST like the same people you called out in that thread."

No offense here, but I really couldn't understand what you said in this sentence until I read it over a few times.

So you view me as a hypocrite. Fine. But I'm not sure everyone else does. I certainly don't think any of what I said goes hand in hand with anything else.

Yes it is illegal to drink underage but come on, who here actually waited until they were 21 (or 18) to start drinking? I think this complaint is equivalent to those that would complain that they got pulled over for doing 67 in a 65. If you would complain about the latter, don't complain about the people complaining about the former.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 10:44 AM)
Yes it is illegal to drink underage but come on, who here actually waited until they were 21 (or 18) to start drinking? I think this complaint is equivalent to those that would complain that they got pulled over for doing 67 in a 65. If you would complain about the latter, don't complain about the people complaining about the former.

I didn't drink until college (except for the little nips of beer or wine or champagne I would get at functions) and I'm glad I did...BUT, I certainly didn't judge others for drinking in high school. Unless they did something stupid. If someone wants to go to a friends house, drink a little too much, take a cab home and sleep it off. Fine. Or go to a game, keep buy a scorecard and only keep score of what half inning you finished your beer, stumble to the "L," and get home in one piece. Fine.

It's called responsibility, and no matter what you are doing in life, you have some. Leave judging to the judges.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 10:44 AM)

Society has a method of assigning value to infractions, called fines and penalties. Traveling two mph over the limit will not usually result in an arrest. There is some relative error in speedometers and detection equipment that is factored in. There is no such error in calculating someone's birthday.

Plus comparing the penalties that are involved in speeding versus underage drinking. If you did receive a ticket for two mph over, it would be a relatively cheap ticket. A personal caught underage drinking would be fined more, potentially forfeit their driver's license, and the establishment that served the alcohol could have their license suspended and a hefty fine.

With the enormous pressure from lobbyists from the hospitality and liquor industry, raising the drinking age was not an easy task. Only the vast amount of independent data that youth from 18-20 put themselves and others at risk drinking, and the argument regarding age creep in drinking (18 supply 16 and 17 versus 21 supplying 19-20) allowed it to happen.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 10:48 AM)
I didn't drink until college (except for the little nips of beer or wine or champagne I would get at functions) and I'm glad I did...BUT, I certainly didn't judge others for drinking in high school. Unless they did something stupid. If someone wants to go to a friends house, drink a little too much, take a cab home and sleep it off. Fine. Or go to a game, keep buy a scorecard and only keep score of what half inning you finished your beer, stumble to the "L," and get home in one piece. Fine.

It's called responsibility, and no matter what you are doing in life, you have some. Leave judging to the judges.

I drank alot in HS, college and now. Your last sentence is the key. I've gone to Sox games and sat in the Jim Beam seats and got blacked out drunk, but I did not act like an idiot. Most of those kids that are acting that way are drinking early on in their career and dont know how to handle it. But it all comes down to what type of person you are and can you handle yourself in public. There are several countries without drinking laws like ours, and they have kids younger than 20 that are perfectly fine, responsible drunks. Its the person, not the age or law.

Lordy, are we really complaining about the Sox actually enforcing a law like underage drinking? Seriously? I mean it, are you people really surprised that a corporation, one who tries to push "family fun", doesn't want a bunch of drunk underagers on their property? This is a business, not you local frat house.

Sheesh...amazing.

"Gee Bob...I was just shooting heroin in the parking lot with a couple of hookers, minding my own business, and they actually threw me out!"

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 04:13 PM)
"Gee Bob...I was just shooting heroin in the parking lot with a couple of hookers, minding my own business, and they actually threw me out!"

Actually Bill, two terms is all you get as President, maybe your wife will win . . .

QUOTE (The Beast @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 03:02 PM)
I think it's a stupid debate, but that's just me.

I think you're wrong saying it's a stupid debate. I think it'd be more correct if you stated what you wanted to state, understood both sides of the problem, and lived with it.

If there are logical arguments for both sides of an issue (or more than both...it doesn't have to be so black and white), then it's not a stupid debate. Someone saying drunk driving is smart would be a stupid debate.