How big reception will Pudge get on Thursday?

wilmot825

Since I am going to the game on Welcome Back Carlton Fisk Night, I have been so excited about it that I pose this question. How big of an ovation will the legend get from us Sox fans? It is about time that Jerry manned up and gave Carlton what he deserved. Go Sox :gosox3:

I've been asking a lot of other Sox fans about this, but haven't found anything that can confirm nor deny. I seem to remember that the Sox had a welcome back Carlton Fisk day right after the new park opened and we gave him a motorcycle. Now I don't know if there was another falling out since then... does anyone remember this??? I wanna even say there was an Upper Deck baseball card for the occasion, but then again I could be getting mixed up with the one featuring Fisk and Ventura looking at the new park...

Fisk/Ventura 1991 Upperdeck "Groundbreaking"

nevertheless, awesome card.

Edited by watchtower41

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ May 19, 2008 -> 01:40 PM)
I've been asking a lot of other Sox fans about this, but haven't found anything that can confirm nor deny. I seem to remember that the Sox had a welcome back Carlton Fisk day right after the new park opened and we gave him a motorcycle. Now I don't know if there was another falling out since then... does anyone remember this??? I wanna even say there was an Upper Deck baseball card for the occasion, but then again I could be getting mixed up with the one featuring Fisk and Ventura looking at the new park...

I thought they gave him the bike when he broke the record for most games caught.. which in turn, was his last game as a White Sox player.. I was really young though, so I don't totally remember.. but I did love watching Fisk play, he was the reason I was a catcher in Little League.

QUOTE (PlunketChris @ May 19, 2008 -> 02:49 PM)
I thought they gave him the bike when he broke the record for most games caught.. which in turn, was his last game as a White Sox player.. I was really young though, so I don't totally remember.. but I did love watching Fisk play, he was the reason I was a catcher in Little League.

You are correct, they gave him a motorcycle and a week later they gave him his walking papers. I think the Welcome Back Carlton Fisk day was when they unveiled his statue

QUOTE (watchtower41 @ May 19, 2008 -> 03:40 PM)

i was at the game and have the card....i was young too, but i recall it being fisks last game, not a welcome back game but i could be wrong.....and yeah they gave him a motorcycle

i think i still have a giveaway program thing from that game in my closet at home somewhere

heres something i found on it from an interview between donn pall and baseball alamanc

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/do...interview.shtml

ML: In June the Sox made what turned out to be a major public relations disaster when they released Fisk while the Sox were in Cleveland. Compounding the problem was that they didn’t even hold a press conference to announce it, they sent faxs to the local media. Tell me what happened that day and how Carlton reacted to it and for that matter what the feeling was a few days earlier on "Carlton Fisk Night" at Comiskey Park after he broke the record for games caught.

DP: "When we had that night for him I turned out to be the winning pitcher when we beat the Rangers in extra innings. I got Carlton to sign the game ball from that night. Bo Jackson went around asking guys if they’d donate five hundred dollars each and we surprised Pudge by getting him a motorcycle which Bo drove to home plate during the ceremonies. After the game the guys had a big party right in the clubhouse. It was great! Later that evening guys went out on the field and started running around and sliding into the bases just like you saw in 'Bull Durham.' The party went so long into the night that a lot of the guys stayed and slept in the clubhouse because we had an afternoon game the next day! That night is something I won’t forget. As far as Pudge having lost it, I don’t agree with that at all. He still worked very hard but the problem was he was only playing maybe once a week and when you are at that age, not playing causes you to lose your skills quickly. He and Gene (Lamont) (Author’s Note: then Sox manager), didn’t get along at all and it started one day when Pudge got thrown out for arguing balls and strikes with an ump. He must have been out there two or three minutes and during that entire time, Gene never came out of the dugout! I mean managers always come out to defend their players and Gene didn’t do that. I lost some respect for him that day and I’m sure the other guys did as well. We had heard rumblings that something could be happening but it was a poor decision on the part of the Sox to wait until we were in Cleveland before doing something. I mean why have Pudge get on the plane if you’re going to release him? That morning Ron Schueler called him and told him the Sox let him go. That night we’re at the game and Pudge is sitting in the stands yelling at us! He was saying stuff like "you guys suck!" and everybody got a big laugh out of it. I talked to Pudge and he told me he was going to go way out in center field for the rest of the game. I asked him why and he said he was going to sit next to the guy who used to beat on that drum! Pudge said ‘every time I’ve come in here that guy was beating his drum and it drove me nuts, so tonight I’m going to sit next to him,’ and he did. He bought the guy a few beers and had a great time."

I wish I could be there. As an older Sox fan, I saw Fisk play many times and even saw him hit a rooftop shot. He was one of my all-time favorites.

When I used to work security at Grand Geneva Resort, Fisk was there for a sports celebrity golf tournament. I worked the third shift and one night I was doing my foot patrol walking hallways and Carlton Fisk was walking down the hallway toward me. I'm thinking' "Oh my God! It's Carlton Fisk!!". :notworthy As we passed he smiled and said "Hi.", which is something that I should have done first but was too flustered to. I managed to say "hi" back though and continued my patrol. It was neat.

I remember all the great Pudge moments as a Sox.

But I also remember him not quitting til they tore the uniform off his back.

It got to the point he couldn't catch the ball anymore.

He was truly a guy who loved baseball, playing until he simply couldn't function.

I'll never forget that game vrs the Yankmees when Pudge tagged out two Yanks on the same play at home plate as they both tried to score. One was Dale Berra and other I forget his name. The Pudge was standing there after the two tags and daring another one to try him.

There is only one Pudge, and it ain't the catcher of the Tigers. I wasn't old enough to watch Fisk play, because I was born in 1988. But I can still appreciate all the highlights I have seen and stories I have heard about this Chicago Legend. I have been looking forward to this since I bought tickets the day after they made it public in the newspaper. I have a feeling it could be a 2min ovation for him and a White Sox winner with A.J. going yard.

I attended Fisk's "Voices of the Game" event at the Hall of Fame last weekend, where he described his new role with the Sox as a "reintroduction" to the organization. He mentioned his former teammates who now coach for the Sox--Baines, Walker--which gave me the impression that before too long we might see him coaching too. He mentioned Walt Hriniak as one of his mentors...hmm...

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ May 21, 2008 -> 12:11 AM)
My favorite Fisk moment was when he yelled at the batter(Rickey Henderson????) for not running out an infield pop fly. Pudge was all over him,right in his ear.

Deion Sanders, I don't think anybody had to tell Rickey to run.

I would think he'd get one heck of a welcome. Getting him re-involved with the organization is long overdue. His poor treatment at his career's end and letting Ventura walk away are 2 of the things which darn near made me give up on following the Sox, there's just no reason to treat people like that. Dont know if its Brooks Boyer, KW, or a combination of them and someone else in the organization, but they really pay alot more attention to involving former players now - Well done !

Edited by sox84

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ May 20, 2008 -> 09:37 PM)
+1. How in the hell can someone use a nickname already taken by a legendary HOF catcher?

"Pudge" doesn't belong to anybody, IMO, because it's a nickname for catchers in general and has long been.

That said, I don't call anyone Pudge, and certainly not Rodriguez.

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ May 21, 2008 -> 11:56 AM)
"Pudge" doesn't belong to anybody, IMO, because it's a nickname for catchers in general and has long been.

Fair enough, but you can bet your backside the moment someone takes on the nick "Sweetness" I'll be there to start the flogging.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ May 21, 2008 -> 08:17 AM)
Deion Sanders, I don't think anybody had to tell Rickey to run.

That's right. I knew it was a fast leadoff hitter. Rickey was probably a little better than Deion though :unsure: .