Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 6, 2009 -> 09:08 AM)
It's not retarded. Some players are late bloomers and some are not. Sometimes the late bloomers end up being the better final product.

Quit letting your tyrus hatred stoop yourself so low. You are better than that.

I'm trying to talk to you as a basketball fan.

Tyrus is 22 , is not a finished product and did show improvement this year. Stop ignoring the facts.

Wait, who's ingoring the facts now, the guy that's basing every comment on what he's ACTUALLY done so far or the guy talking about some massive leap forward in production that he's yet to make?

And yes, it is a retarded argument because by that logic every young player that steps on the floor MIGHT catch up with a guy that's roughly the same age and is already out-producing him at a good clip. If Tyrus isn't a finished project at 22, then how can you definitively say by any stretch that Aldridge is at 23? Does that mean Tyrus stops developing in August?

He hits a few more jumpers, that's about it. His points/40 minutes is roughly the same as his rookie rates and his rebounds/40 has actually gone down. He's still the same maddeningly inconsistent player with a low basketball IQ, we've just seen him a bit more this year.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Per 36 minutes (and remember Stro was considered a bust though he was f***ed up mentally) And I believe this is the Ben Gordon minutes I talked about.

Tyrus- 14.2 ppg 8.4 rpg 1.3 apg 1.5 spg 2.5 bpg .451 fg% .333 3p% .783 ft%

Stro- 16.0 ppg 9.4 rpg 1.1 apg 1.3 spg 2.5 bpg .469 fg% --- 3p% .725 ft%

And to put it in perspective even more... their minutes...

Tyrus from age 20-22... 13.4 mpg, 18.0 mpg 27.5 mpg (thank you Del Negro)

Stro from age 20-22... 16.4 mpg, 26.5 mpg 22.1 mpg

This isn't even mentioning Tyrus had three times as many minutes that were inconsistant (you know playing for 35+ one night, only 10 the other... ah the good ol' Scott Skiles era) Oh and Stro playing basketball a hell of a lot longer in his life (was a stud/highly recruted in high school, whereas Tyrus came out of nowhere after his red shirt freshman year in college, though a weak draft that year) which tells you more how much Tyrus has improved in you know... shooting the ball more than the lazy, just wanna get by on pure athleticism, premadonna Stro. (though again.. had mental issues)

This fourth year is really the make or break year for Tyrus. After that year for Stro for some odd reason, at age 23-24, the Grizzlies just gave up on him (tho the only thing he could really do was dunk but was still productive) If Tyrus doesn't step it up even further and be productive, he will have the same fate.

All this Tyrus talk when I look up at Lamarcus Aldridge's stats and just start drooling. Damn it John Paxson! We'd still be playing basketball if he didn't make that trade...

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 6, 2009 -> 10:48 AM)
All this Tyrus talk when I look up at Lamarcus Aldridge's stats and just start drooling. Damn it John Paxson! We'd still be playing basketball if he didn't make that trade...

Much as I wish we had LaMarcus, who the hell knows what the team would look like if we had kept him. There's very little chance we'd have still won the lottery to get Rose and there's no way to predict how differently some of the transactions would have gone.

Much as I wish we had LaMarcus, who the hell knows what the team would look like if we had kept him. There's very little chance we'd have still won the lottery to get Rose and there's no way to predict how differently some of the transactions would have gone.

You beat me to it and we actually agree on everything but Tyrus lol. If LaMarcus was with us, we would not have Derrick Rose. Simple as that.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 6, 2009 -> 10:14 AM)
I said "much more". You obviously have the time since you're on soxtalk all day.

"Won't improve much more" does not mean "won't improve at all".

Ok. Enough with this nonsense. Go enjoy the Hawks winning the next 3 games against Van. That should be your focus right now. After that, it's Jay Cutler 24/7!

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 6, 2009 -> 11:04 AM)
You beat me to it and we actually agree on everything but Tyrus lol. If LaMarcus was with us, we would not have Derrick Rose. Simple as that.

You make that sound like something that works in Tyrus' favor more than dumb luck. :huh:

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 6, 2009 -> 10:04 AM)

Well, you can always say "coulda woulda shoulda", but trading Aldridge for Tyrus was a colossal f***up.

The year the Bulls become deadly is 2010. You have to assume one of the big names will want to play with D-Rose if he continues to progress into a future top 5 player. We also get Omer Asik that year (presuming Pax likes the development)... Asik at worst should be Biedrins-lite.

The future is bright for these Bulls, but unfortunately it has nothing to do with Tyrus.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 6, 2009 -> 10:22 AM)
Wait, who's ingoring the facts now, the guy that's basing every comment on what he's ACTUALLY done so far or the guy talking about some massive leap forward in production that he's yet to make?

And yes, it is a retarded argument because by that logic every young player that steps on the floor MIGHT catch up with a guy that's roughly the same age and is already out-producing him at a good clip. If Tyrus isn't a finished project at 22, then how can you definitively say by any stretch that Aldridge is at 23? Does that mean Tyrus stops developing in August?

He hits a few more jumpers, that's about it. His points/40 minutes is roughly the same as his rookie rates and his rebounds/40 has actually gone down. He's still the same maddeningly inconsistent player with a low basketball IQ, we've just seen him a bit more this year.

I never said you were wrong, but in an argument like this, no one(not even myself), is right. Tyrus will hit a 2 way road this off season, we don't know for sure which path he will go on. It's kind of like that with all players talented and young. Work ethic in the off season will be key. Unfortunately, I don't know if you can teach basketball IQ. That is a reason for some of my doubts.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 6, 2009 -> 09:41 AM)
Per 36 minutes (and remember Stro was considered a bust though he was f***ed up mentally) And I believe this is the Ben Gordon minutes I talked about.

Tyrus- 14.2 ppg 8.4 rpg 1.3 apg 1.5 spg 2.5 bpg .451 fg% .333 3p% .783 ft%

Stro- 16.0 ppg 9.4 rpg 1.1 apg 1.3 spg 2.5 bpg .469 fg% --- 3p% .725 ft%

And to put it in perspective even more... their minutes...

Tyrus from age 20-22... 13.4 mpg, 18.0 mpg 27.5 mpg (thank you Del Negro)

Stro from age 20-22... 16.4 mpg, 26.5 mpg 22.1 mpg

This isn't even mentioning Tyrus had three times as many minutes that were inconsistant (you know playing for 35+ one night, only 10 the other... ah the good ol' Scott Skiles era) Oh and Stro playing basketball a hell of a lot longer in his life (was a stud/highly recruted in high school, whereas Tyrus came out of nowhere after his red shirt freshman year in college, though a weak draft that year) which tells you more how much Tyrus has improved in you know... shooting the ball more than the lazy, just wanna get by on pure athleticism, premadonna Stro. (though again.. had mental issues)

This fourth year is really the make or break year for Tyrus. After that year for Stro for some odd reason, at age 23-24, the Grizzlies just gave up on him (tho the only thing he could really do was dunk but was still productive) If Tyrus doesn't step it up even further and be productive, he will have the same fate.

-Who cares how much he played/how good he was in high school? That was 5 years ago and has no bearing on anything. It didn't exactly hold back Hakeem Olajuwon or Dikembe Mutumbo, there's plenty of time to make up ground.

-Swift got yanked around plenty when he was younger, he didn't average over 15 MPG in a month until March of his rookie year and his averages varied from 14 to 31 MPG over the next two years. Not that it's THAT big an issue anyways, plenty of players had non-existant/inconsistent minutes early in their career and were successful.

-Swift stopped getting minutes because they realized that while he can make plays with his athleticism he has/had few if any skills and wasn't a good defender despite good block totals and decent steal totals. Sound familiar?

I don't mean to sound as harsh as I do because Tyrus was decent this year, but I'm sick of hearing people make excuses for him. I don't have a problem with him as the 4th or 5th best starter as the energy player, but you need some guys to pick up the scoring slack for him, especially playing next to Noah. Thinks will get ugly if we end up letting Gordon go and hope that Tyrus and a "healthy" Deng will pick up all of the slack.

Well, you can always say "coulda woulda shoulda", but trading Aldridge for Tyrus was a colossal f***up.

Didn't know "coulda woulda shoulda" was the same as basically point blank "would not" because no Rose wouldn't be with us. I hope Thorpe puts in some old skool tapes.. or a current nba player, maybe enhance a bit of that IQ of Tyrus' which isn't good (hell Gooden for a similar dumbass actually had some decent moves at times but the damage was done with him on the team)

And like I said earlier Steven... you are "full of it." :)

This thread might need a bit of a cleanup from all the TT2 haters on here (and even the lovers :)) but I'll let it stand we differ on Mr. Thomas, as people differ on Ben Gordon and if he should stay. But baby you better...... DRINK THAT KOOLAID!! :D

tyruskoolaidmr2.jpg

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 6, 2009 -> 12:03 PM)

Tyrus came from the side on that play and still tried to block it. I give him props because a lot of guys don't jump for the fear they may be embarassed. Tyrus will jump with anyone if he has a shot. I wouldn't use this youtube video as a knock against Tyrus. Honestly, I would attempt to keep him. Hope he improves more this offseason, because he did make steps, and see what we have next year.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ May 6, 2009 -> 11:16 AM)
Tyrus came from the side on that play and still tried to block it. I give him props because a lot of guys don't jump for the fear they may be embarassed. Tyrus will jump with anyone if he has a shot. I wouldn't use this youtube video as a knock against Tyrus. Honestly, I would attempt to keep him. Hope he improves more this offseason, because he did make steps, and see what we have next year.

It wasn't a knock. It was just funny.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 6, 2009 -> 11:16 AM)

The year the Bulls become deadly is 2010. You have to assume one of the big names will want to play with D-Rose if he continues to progress into a future top 5 player. We also get Omer Asik that year (presuming Pax likes the development)... Asik at worst should be Biedrins-lite.

The future is bright for these Bulls, but unfortunately it has nothing to do with Tyrus.

Rose won't be a top 5 player ever with his lack of a jumper and non-existant defense. With that said, Jordan sucked his rookie year at defense. LeBron was mediocre, only because of his body at defense. BTW, Asik is the roxorz!

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 6, 2009 -> 11:45 AM)
ijumpeb4.jpg

Except for block shots, get steals and rebound.

Still debating if I should counter that with either the Rasual Butler, DWade, Varejao, Marvin Williams etc.. etc.. facial or hell even the sick blocks on the beloved Chris Bosh (or 7'6 Yao Ming) etc.. etc.. etc.. then made one of the best facials you'll ever see on Jermaine O'Neal. Which I had as an avatar for a good while.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ May 6, 2009 -> 11:19 AM)
Rose won't be a top 5 player ever with his lack of a jumper and non-existant defense. With that said, Jordan sucked his rookie year at defense. LeBron was mediocre, only because of his body at defense. BTW, Asik is the roxorz!

Except for block shots, get steals and rebound.

All his blocks come from help defense.

I still don't know how he get's steals.

And he is not a very good rebounder. Most of boards come from, yes, you guessed it, out-jumping people. Like I said earlier, he doesn't EVER take over games on the glass, Noah can.

See: Thomas, Tyrus - 89th best rebound rate in the NBA. And had a sizzling 9.3/40 minutes. So yeah.

Hmmm... let's see. I'll make this short..

Bulls***. A good majority, to basically most of his blocks do come from help side but not "all." You can't say every one of his blocks are from help D, because that's what I'm implying from what you said in "all." Hell he's got 3 f***ing videos on youtube alone on pages, on which he's going one on one and blocks the shot even if he gets beat to the basket. Jesus.

... Of course you don't.

And he is not a very good rebounder. Most of boards come from, yes, you guessed it, out-jumping people. Like I said earlier, he doesn't EVER take over games on the glass, Noah can.

Hmmm.. rebounding.. coulda sworn you actually had to jump most of the time to get those (what theyre gonna fall in your lap?) you also need strength also (hell Noah is pretty damn athletic himself, who also gets rebounds for tip-ins mostly, or you guessed it.. out jumping and out fighting the opposition.. unless its Dwight Howard who can "out jump" anyone) which both improved on their strength from, last season. Congrats Slav.. you beat your old record of B.S./hyperbole statements by just a touch this time.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 6, 2009 -> 12:20 PM)
Wow.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 6, 2009 -> 12:25 PM)

See: Thomas, Tyrus - 89th best rebounder in the NBA. And had a sizzling 9.3/40 minutes. So yeah.

Not all of his blocks come from help defense. A lot do, but not nearly the 80 or 90% you make them out to be. I'd probably say 55-60% do which is fine. A block is a block. No need to be picky about it. You also have to take into account the fact that since he has great blocking/jumping ability, he alters a lot of shots.

He gets steals as he has long arms and he's super athletic. With that said, it's easy for him to reach around a player and pick the ball or when he plays help defense or when he plays the passing lanes which he's able to do and not get burned frequently because of his ability to recover quickly(see: athleticism)

I agree, he should be outrebounding people, and maybe that's something he can improve upon in the offseason. His man defense is solid as well despite popular belief. When he struggles, it's with guys who can shoot. Like Bargnani flat out eats this guy alive because Tyrus always lets them take the jumper instead of bodying up.

He's far from a perfect player, and he's very very frustrating at times, but it's easy to see the upside and improvement that he has made.

I also find it funny that the very same people who claim defense is the uber important thing in a team and b**** about Gordon's defense, complain about one of our top 3 defenders and our best post defender whether you like to admit it or not.