Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think Tyrus could be a player in this league. With that said, I don't think he'll reach his potential. He'll be what you see now. Great shotblocker and wonderful energy guy, but when he's making mistakes, you have to have another guy ready to go. I wish we played him more in the playoffs as well. One thing I like though is that he is trying to improve. His IQ is just kinda low.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 5, 2009 -> 01:14 PM)
Two coaches, and counting, now disagree.

When one of those coaches is VDN and another of those coaches is Jim Boylan and the third coach resigned after the team totally quit on him...you're not making a strong case.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 5, 2009 -> 03:14 PM)
Two coaches, and counting, now disagree.

When Skiles was coach, Tyrus wasnt nearly the the player he is now, so he doesnt even count. Than Jim Boylan/Vinny are probably the 2 worse headcoaches in the league, good case.

Tyrus Thomas is not a good f***ing basketball player.

/thread

f***in a people. I don't know what makes me hate Tyrus more, his inability to be a good, consistent NBA basketball player or his ridiculous fans who think he can be Kevin Garnett with more minutes.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 5, 2009 -> 08:57 PM)

/thread

f***in a people. I don't know what makes me hate Tyrus more, his inability to be a good, consistent NBA basketball player or his ridiculous fans who think he can be Kevin Garnett with more minutes.

slow down now. I wouldn't go that far. What is your definition of good? Tyrus is a very good basketball player. He blocks shots, rebounds well, gets plenty of steals,is a pretty good free throw shooter and does not have a horrible overall fg%. He does make some glaring mistakes though, but less this year than ever before. So I can see further improvement on someone who is 22 years old, fills up a stat sheet and has obvious ability.

I do have my doubts with him, though any team in the league would find a roster spot for Tyrus for the right price. If he can't be a major piece in a deal for Amare or Bosh, I would want to definitely keep him.

Edited by rangercal

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 5, 2009 -> 07:21 PM)
slow down now. I wouldn't go that far. What is your definition of good? Tyrus is a very good basketball player. He blocks shots, rebounds well, gets plenty of steals,is a pretty good free throw shooter and does not have a horrible overall fg%. He does make some glaring mistakes though, but less this year than ever before. So I can see further improvement on someone who is 22 years old, fills up a stat sheet and has obvious ability.

I do have my doubts with him, though any team in the league would find a roster spot for Tyrus for the right price. If he can't be a major piece in a deal for Amare or Bosh, I would want to definitely keep him.

I'm not saying get rid of him, and I agree, if he's not a major piece in a trade for a stud, then I wouldn't deal him, but I am just so f***ing tired of the people gushing about him. Every time he has a good game, the slurpers come out of the woodwork to tell everyone how great he is and how they were right the whole f***ing time. But the other 9 out of 10 games, they don't say a f***ing word.

I'll just disagree with you on the "very good" player part. But let's break it down. You say he...

- blocks shots. True, yet almost NEVER one on one. I'd venture to say that 90+ % of his blocks are on help defense. That'd not a bad thing, and I don't want to it to sound that way. It's great, but when people correlate block shots with good defender, they are incredible mistaken when it comes to Tyrus Thomas.

- rebounds well. Eh. He's an ok rebounder mainly because of athleticism. He doesn't get great positioning and I don't know if I ever remember him taking over a game on the boards, where Joakim has.

- gets plenty of steals. I'll give you that. I still don't really know how he does, but he does.

- FT/FG%, agreed. His FT abilities really surprised me. And his jumper seemed to be on more than it was not, however, if people are going to give him 10 feet to take a jumper, but the ball on the floor (under control PLEASE) and take it to the hoop for a higher percentage shot. He can dunk on people. f***ing do it.

/thread

You were never a Tyrus Thomas fan to begin with and have always hated him. The hate he gets from people actually makes me love him more in instances, but even you know Slav (and others) that I loved him since he was drafted (then traded to us. :)) Give him Derrick Rose minutes next season and watch him fill up the stat sheet AK47 style.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 5, 2009 -> 08:58 PM)
You were never a Tyrus Thomas fan to begin with and have always hated him. The hate he gets from people actually makes me love him more in instances, but even you know Slav (and others) that I loved him since he was drafted (then traded to us. :)) Give him Derrick Rose minutes next season and watch him fill up the stat sheet AK47 style.

I'm in this camp.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 5, 2009 -> 08:58 PM)

Really? You mean he can be the 4th or 5th best player on a decent but not stellar team? :unsure:

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 5, 2009 -> 08:15 PM)
Really? You mean he can be the 4th or 5th best player on a decent but not stellar team? :unsure:

Oh yeah! That's 2nd overall pick potential right there! 11.6 points and 4.8 rebounds! WHAT A STUD!

Disclaimer: I'm aware he was drafted 4th overall, but he was traded for Aldridge, so eff that and eff him.

By the way, Tyrus' per 40 minute averages this year are 15.8 points and 9.3 rebounds. Yes, that means that even if he played more minutes than anyone in the league and kept his rates the same he'd be about as productive as Josh Smith is in 35 minutes.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 5, 2009 -> 09:37 PM)
By the way, Tyrus' per 40 minute averages this year are 15.8 points and 9.3 rebounds. Yes, that means that even if he played more minutes than anyone in the league and kept his rates the same he'd be about as productive as Josh Smith is in 35 minutes.

And Josh Smith is awesome.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ May 5, 2009 -> 09:46 PM)
And Josh Smith is awesome.

1) Josh Smith is the 2nd best player on a team with no shot of making the conference finals in the east.

2) You missed the point, even if you spot Tyrus an extra 5 minutes he's at best a push with him.

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ May 5, 2009 -> 10:00 PM)
tyrus thomas = :stick

this.

Tyrus has all the skills to be a good NBA player... but he plays dumb as s***. I just don't see the basketball IQ.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 5, 2009 -> 03:44 PM)
When one of those coaches is VDN and another of those coaches is Jim Boylan and the third coach resigned after the team totally quit on him...you're not making a strong case.

I think the fact that he couldn't even get on the court for either Skiles, nor Del Negro tells me a lot more than anything. Tyrus is a freak of nature, but he can't keep his head into a basketball game enough to be trusted in an important stretch of basketball.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ May 5, 2009 -> 10:14 PM)
this.

Tyrus has all the skills to be a good NBA player... but he plays dumb as s***. I just don't see the basketball IQ.

I swear the kid is ADD. His level of concentration is just non-exsistant.

My most hated Tyrus play is when he dribbles the ball at the top of the key, gets a one on one, dribble penetrates with a crossover and a spin move, he finds himself under the basket, and instead of dunking the ball, he attempts an awkward ass layup that usually misses the rim completely. If he just dunked the ball, he would average at least 16ppg.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 5, 2009 -> 07:37 PM)

Don't you guys know what this baits me to do? It baits me to respond with other ways to look at the data.

If you look at the first half of the season, Oct. through the end of January, when TT was still being benched randomly and Drew Gooden gave us our small lineup domination, Tyrus averaged 14.6 p/40, 9.1 reb/40. From Feb 1. on, the time during the season when TT averaged over 30 minutes per game, TT averaged 17.0 p/40, 9.6 reb/40.

Josh Smith averaged 15.6 points and 7.2 rebounds in 35.1 minutes last season. Scaled to 35 minutes, Tyrus averaged 14.8 points and 8.4 rebounds per 35 in the 2nd half. Smith had 1 more assist per 35, Tyrus had 1 more block per 35. Turnovers per minute are basically a wash for the entire season (smith is 0.2/35 higher). The only real difference is that TT picks up about 1 more foul per 35 than Smith did last year (and NBA.com didn't have season splits on foul #'s so I can't see if that improved in the 2nd half without looking more).