Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 2, 2009 -> 06:57 PM)
Fixed.

Rose's defense was better this series, especially the last 2 games, than it was most of the year. The problem is our defense can't defend the pick and roll, every time there was a switch it put them completely out of position and you wound up with Rose having to guard Davis or Perkins, over and over and over. You can't have 6 foot guys guard 7 foot guys and expect to win!

The Bulls switches were just remarkably stupid. How many times can they score off of that before you make a change coach? Please!

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 2, 2009 -> 09:12 PM)
Rose's defense was better this series, especially the last 2 games, than it was most of the year. The problem is our defense can't defend the pick and roll, every time there was a switch it put them completely out of position and you wound up with Rose having to guard Davis or Perkins, over and over and over. You can't have 6 foot guys guard 7 foot guys and expect to win!

The Bulls switches were just remarkably stupid. How many times can they score off of that before you make a change coach? Please!

well said. what veteran coaches are available?

So, whenever we got it close, Gordon takes a crazy ill-advised shot, Boston would then build up their lead again.

Ben, you are good, but you havent learned... and you never will. You always want t be the hero and never learned to be patient. You never learned. Good luck with some other team next year.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

And Tyrus played what, 18 minutes? The whole 2nd half, we never switched up from the small lineup. 4 guards and either Noah or Miller. We played right in to their hands.

I've realized that no Bulls Coach is ever going to play Tyrus. They always get seduced by the small lineup, whether he's being effective or not, or whether size is killing us or not. They'd rather lose with the small lineup than risk having him do something wrong.

It's time to trade him. If you're in a series like this and you're going to bench him for the 2nd half in every game regardless of how it goes, then there's no reason to keep him. Please somehow move him in a deal for Bosh. I'm so sick of seeing him on the bench for us while we lose games because of the small lineup.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 2, 2009 -> 09:17 PM)
It's time to trade him. If you're in a series like this and you're going to bench him for the 2nd half in every game regardless of how it goes, then there's no reason to keep him. Please somehow move him in a deal for Bosh. I'm so sick of seeing him on the bench for us while we lose games because of the small lineup.

Tyrus and a sign and trade Gordon for Bosh... tomorrow...ok, after the finals.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 2, 2009 -> 07:16 PM)
So, whenever we got it close, Gordon takes a crazy ill-advised shot, Boston would then build up their lead again.

Ben, you are good, but you havent learned... and you never will. You always want t be the hero and never learned to be patient. You never learned. Good luck with some other team next year.

It's not Ben's fault though! Ben Gordon is good at what he does...he's a spot shooter who can drive sometimes. He's not a guy you isolate over and over again, it's not his job to break down the defense. They never had an answer for Rose going in to the lane and breaking things down, but they wouldn't set that up. They needed to alternate between Rose and Gordon pushing it in and trying to break it down/draw fouls on the guys, and it would have helped if they'd had extra height in there rather than random outside shots from Hinrich, but instead they'd give the ball to Gordon and stay out of the way, rather than running a normal offense.

For about the first 10 minutes the Bulls had excellent ball movement, in and out, side to side, generating open shots, especially for Gordon. Then they just stopped moving the ball. Not sure if the Celts had something to do about it, I'd bet the fact that we went small constantly was a big part of it because we couldn't play inside and out, but the Bulls are going to be most effective on offense when the ball is moving, not when they're isolating and standing around.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 2, 2009 -> 09:23 PM)
It's not Ben's fault though! Ben Gordon is good at what he does...he's a spot shooter who can drive sometimes.

When you are playing NBA playoff basketball, the small things add up to big things. Yes he scored a lot, but his immature "I'm the hero" attitude doesnt work if you want to be champions. YOu can be the hero, if you can be consistent with it... ie Jordon, Lebron, Kobe. With all do respect to BG, he is not in that class.

Running down the court and jacking up a 3 when you had PLENTY of time to slow down and set up a play sets you down the wrong path. He does this ALL the time. it shows a lack of basketball maturity. He's NEVER learned... and he never will.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 2, 2009 -> 07:45 PM)
Any one else feel good to see Rondo hit the floor hard on back to back plays? I smiled... then laughed wen he just laid there to milk it.

He didn't go down nearly as hard as the time he spent on the floor would have justified. I wish Noah had slammed him down harder.

Bottom line, the Bulls still need a legitimate post player. They will never be more than a mediocre playoff team without one. If the outside is closed, they have no other options to go to, and the game breaks down. Go back and look at the second quarter as the perfect example.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2009 -> 07:48 PM)
Bottom line, the Bulls still need a legitimate post player. They will never be more than a mediocre playoff team without one. If the outside is closed, they have no other options to go to, and the game breaks down. Go back and look at the second quarter as the perfect example.

Shocker here...I disagree with you. The dominant post player just isn't the way the league is going. The more athletic guy is how it's going. Even the dominant post guys now are guys like Pau Gasol, guys who are much more athletic than anything.

I think you can easily survive with a PG led team that gets reasonable play from its front court...if you game plan to be that kind of team and don't play the kind of ball that requires a post player.

The Bulls keep insisting on playing like Orlando, and then they keep acting surprised when they find out they're missing Dwight Howard.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 2, 2009 -> 09:51 PM)
Shocker here...I disagree with you. The dominant post player just isn't the way the league is going. The more athletic guy is how it's going. Even the dominant post guys now are guys like Pau Gasol, guys who are much more athletic than anything.

I think you can easily survive with a PG led team that gets reasonable play from its front court...if you game plan to be that kind of team and don't play the kind of ball that requires a post player.

The Bulls keep insisting on playing like Orlando, and then they keep acting surprised when they find out they're missing Dwight Howard.

The Bulls have NO ONE who can score in the lane if the refs are allowing a physical game to take place. Tonight was the perfect example. And FWIW, you can be a dominant post player and athletic. The two don't preclude each other.

Regardless of everything, i'm proud of this young team. I expected nothing from the season & got the best playoff series i've ever seen. It just sucks that VDN will be back. Hopefully this summer he can go to a coaching seminar or something.

As for Ben Gordon, if he returns...okay. If he doesn't...okay. Salmons can do everything he can. I don't care either way, especially after his post game quote when asked if he wanted to stay in Chicago.

"I'd like to stay, but the past two summers i've wanted to stay as well. So we'll see." Yeah Ben, act as if the Bulls didn't try and give you contracts.

The series wasn't lost tonight, tonight was actually the one loss where I have no problems with what happened, they just played a reasonably poor game on the road and lost, that happens. The series was lost in game 2, when the Bulls blew a very late lead and lost, in game 3 where the Bulls didn't show up, and in game 5 where the Bulls had an 11 point 4th quarter lead and a 2 point lead with under 20 seconds left and lost. Poor coaching and poor basketball IQ by the team lost this series, and it's a damn shame because the Bulls were the better team with Garnett not available for Boston. As for Ben Gordon, I won't be crushed if he comes back, and I know it'd be very hard to replace his scoring, but honestly I kind of want to see him go away. I'm tired of his act, even if that isn't a statistically supported statement.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2009 -> 08:54 PM)
The Bulls have NO ONE who can score in the lane if the refs are allowing a physical game to take place. Tonight was the perfect example. And FWIW, you can be a dominant post player and athletic. The two don't preclude each other.

Can you say Chris Bosh? Let's bring him to Chicago in 2010.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 2, 2009 -> 10:45 PM)
Any one else feel good to see Rondo hit the floor hard on back to back plays? I smiled... then laughed wen he just laid there to milk it.

lol I was about to post this... favorite moment of the game, by far. The NBA didn't have the balls to handle things so the players did, I love to see that. I'll actually give the refs props for this one, letting the Bulls handle their business.

I'll say it.. Rajon Rondo is a dirty player and a b****. (already some fans around the boards from OTHER teams saying he's the next Bruce Bowen) You can tell (and I've seen it in the regular season too when they play other teams) that when someone fouls them a bit harder than usual they automatically go on the floor and either lay on their back, or vise-versa pretending it was way worse than it was to get a flagrant foul called. (notably Allen [who i despise and have no respect for anymore after that elbow to the nuts stunt he pulled], Rondo, Big Baby [nickname fits him] and Pierce at times) Though I'm not a fan of Garnett, not even he is that big of a b**** nor is Perkins. It was a hellova series that we put up. Knowing Tyrus he'll be working out, and working on his game this summer, and Noah probably will be in the weight room. Derrick Rose will definitely be better (rest those legs and wrist finally young fella) and also I'm sure working on his already strong game (perhaps his 3 point shot and I'll pray he gets a defensive coach just for him personally to work on) etc.. I'm with 101 in the fact that I can care less if Gordon returns or not. Alot of things I love about him, and alot of things I hate about him. Though I hope Deng and Hinrich are somehow gone this summer though I know it's a longshot.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 2, 2009 -> 09:17 PM)
And Tyrus played what, 18 minutes? The whole 2nd half, we never switched up from the small lineup. 4 guards and either Noah or Miller. We played right in to their hands.

I've realized that no Bulls Coach is ever going to play Tyrus. They always get seduced by the small lineup, whether he's being effective or not, or whether size is killing us or not. They'd rather lose with the small lineup than risk having him do something wrong.

I only watched the first half, but it makes sense that tyrus didn't play much...

Isn't wade gonna come?

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ May 3, 2009 -> 12:41 AM)
Isn't wade gonna come?

From what i've heard IIRC, Bosh wants to come to Chicago & the front office wants Bosh. So i'm assuming that he's on top of the list, I also remember hearing that the front office had NO interest in Wade.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ May 3, 2009 -> 12:52 AM)
From what i've heard IIRC, Bosh wants to come to Chicago & the front office wants Bosh. So i'm assuming that he's on top of the list, I also remember hearing that the front office had NO interest in Wade.

The front office actually had serious interest in Wade and I'm sure that still stands as of right now.

rumorpress.net

Go to the website, that's all I'll suggest. Broke the Salmons and Miller deal back in the summer basically. Guy who created the website also called the Ben Wallace deal almost a month before it happened. I have a tiny bit different sources, but this guy is pretty damn reliable.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ May 3, 2009 -> 01:28 AM)
The front office actually had serious interest in Wade and I'm sure that still stands as of right now.

rumorpress.net

Go to the website, that's all I'll suggest. Broke the Salmons and Miller deal back in the summer basically. Guy who created the website also called the Ben Wallace deal almost a month before it happened. I have a tiny bit different sources, but this guy is pretty damn reliable.

Well I stand corrected, I swear I read the no interest somewhere. Oh well, i'll take a 2nd superstar here regardless.