Figgins to Sox rumors persist

Steve9347

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shipps @ May 22, 2008 -> 11:02 AM)
Broadway or Poreda,and yes Uribe would hurt the deal.

I like Broadway, but I highly doubt that they would do Figgins for Broadway. It wouldn't make sense for their team.

And Poreda isn't a AAA pitcher. Last I checked, he was in High-A, which is vastly different than AAA. And again, I doubt the Angels would trade one of their better and more versatile starting players for a High-A pitcher. They're in first place, and looking to this years playoffs, not to the future.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 22, 2008 -> 10:00 AM)
good point.

Well, it's the right point, and his question was a "Yes or no." The more detailed answer is this:

Juan Uribe has no trade value, not even if coupled with one of our minor league pitchers (the good ones being gone), and he is not anything resembling fair value for one of the most versatile and therefore valuable non-superstar players in baseball.

QUOTE (Felix @ May 22, 2008 -> 08:04 AM)
I like Broadway, but I highly doubt that they would do Figgins for Broadway. It wouldn't make sense for their team.

They MIGHT deal Figgins for Fields. Outside of that, I don't see any of our minor-leaguers attracting their interest. Hell, the Angels could legitimately ask for Floyd, Danks, or Quentin in the deal.

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 22, 2008 -> 12:48 PM)
They MIGHT deal Figgins for Fields. Outside of that, I don't see any of our minor-leaguers attracting their interest. Hell, the Angels could legitimately ask for Floyd, Danks, or Quentin in the deal.

I think Reagins would get to Flo-, Da-, or Q- respectively before he hears a click from KW's side.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 22, 2008 -> 09:58 AM)
Crede for Figgens, Figgens plays 2B and leads off, with Fields called up and into 3B. I'd do it.

I'd do it as well. Unfortunately, Crede is a FA next year (with Borass as his agent) and Figgins isn't a FA until 2010, so I don't see the Angels doing it. If they're going to deal Figgins, it's probably going to be for young/cheap talent in the off-season.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 22, 2008 -> 09:11 AM)
They would take Fields for Figgins, and I'd be all for that...

As would I.

If it went down, I'd also be in favor of cutting Uribe, moving Thome, moving JD to DH, moving Swisher in to LF, and playing BA in CF.

Figgins is a thirdbaseman I believe. I don't see the rationale for a trade other than KW won't sign Crede, but that doesn't mean any other team getting him can sign him either. The Angels give up 2 extra years with Figgins for part of the year guaranteed with Crede. We give up defense and power and clutch for a speedy guy. I like our team the way it is now and I like Crede.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 22, 2008 -> 01:47 PM)
Figgins is a thirdbaseman I believe. I don't see the rationale for a trade other than KW won't sign Crede, but that doesn't mean any other team getting him can sign him either. The Angels give up 2 extra years with Figgins for part of the year guaranteed with Crede. We give up defense and power and clutch for a speedy guy. I like our team the way it is now and I like Crede.

Figgins can play everywhere.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 22, 2008 -> 02:21 PM)
Crede for Figgins probably isn't enough, but would Thome for Figgins work? I'm not saying it is ideal for those that really like Figgins, but the Sox could than rotate the DH spot and utilize Fields.

I'm really not sure the DH spot is that much of a problem for the Halos considering the number of outfielders they have. They have more OF's than At bats, including the DH. Their problem has been, quite simply, the poor performance of their middle and left infield bats.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 22, 2008 -> 02:32 PM)
I'm really not sure the DH spot is that much of a problem for the Halos considering the number of outfielders they have. They have more OF's than At bats, including the DH.

That is very true. I still think they have to move a couple outfielders and clearly 3B is a need for them (especially if they move Thome). Would people consider Crede/Thome for Figgins/Wood/Itzuris or something along those lines. I think that is fair value from the Angels perspective while the Sox would have to fill an offensive hole somewhere after making the move.

Brandon Wood may not be the right fit either (it could be another prospect the Sox would prefer). However, Itzuris strengthens the bench, Wood gives you a legit power prospect, Fields comes up and plays 3B (replacing Crede, minor downgrade); Uribe is replaced by Figgins (major upgrade). Ozuna is replaced by Itzuris (younger and as versatile, but better defensively and imo, better offensively). The club will have to find a way to acquire a bat to DH (which is possible).

The club also has cleared up some money and improved the farm system. I should note that I'm not as high on Brandon Wood as some, but I think he still has good value if the Sox wanted to dangle him for a bat (hopefully an outfield bat who can play CF and allow Swisher/Konerko/Dye to spend some time at DH).

Probably unrealistic given the Sox are on a roll, but it is something to consider.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 22, 2008 -> 04:21 PM)
Crede for Figgins probably isn't enough, but would Thome for Figgins work? I'm not saying it is ideal for those that really like Figgins, but the Sox could than rotate the DH spot and utilize Fields.

Jim Thome is hitting .214 and still has a higher OPS than Chone Figgins. No.

Thome looks like he's just starting to heat up, and doing anything to drop him from the roster at this point would be foolish.

Its doubtful that LA would even do a Fields for Figgins deal, why would they add Fields when they have pretty much the same guy in Brandon Wood? Plus last I saw Fields was htting around .240 in AAA. Figgins wont be going anywhere until at least when Howie Kendrick is healthy again and then they can use Izturis in Figgins role. I think that there is still a much better chance that Roberts will be the Sox target as time goes by and Baltimore starts to adjust their asking price to the market. Something like Owens, Broadway, Uribe, and Richar would help boost the Orioles rebuild project and but payroll. All four would be immediate starters for the Orioles. Some lower level talent would proabably need to be included as well, or the deal could be expanded to add Fields and Rowell.