5/22 gamethread: Indians (22-24) vs Sox (25-20); 7:11; CSN

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ May 22, 2008 -> 05:59 PM)
I don't know what to think about Swisher or Cabrera. I want to like both of them, but they're not making it easy. Has Swisher been prone to extended slumps throughout his career? Is Cabrera a known slow starter? I hope so.....

Swisher has had his struggles at time (Last year in June/July he barely hit over .210) but usually he still puts up power numbers and walk numbers when he does.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 22, 2008 -> 08:58 PM)
Please, continue to make yourself foolish by comparing him to those players. Neither of them have ever posted numbers close to Thome's, and Thome has come up for the Sox in other situations since being dealt here. I guess all 86 of his home runs were "non-clutch" and meaningless.

I'm not comparing Thome to those players, I'm just illustrating how foolish your comment about the Angels game is. You can't dispute that Thome has been awful in the clutch for the most part this season (and most of last season) by pointing to one instance of success.

I hope Thome makes me look like the biggest fool in the world by winning this game with a big clutch hit. I'll be the happiest guy here. But I'm not holding my breath.....

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ May 22, 2008 -> 06:03 PM)
I'm not comparing Thome to those players, I'm just illustrating how foolish your comment about the Angels game is. You can't dispute that Thome has been awful in the clutch for the most part this season (and most of last season) by pointing to one instance of success.

I hope Thome makes me look like the biggest fool in the world by winning this game with a big clutch hit. I'll be the happiest guy here. But I'm not holding my breath.....

Honestly, I really am not bothered by a guy like Jim Thome not being "Clutch". With the way he hits, you'd actually expect him to be weak in the late innings because people would keep bringing LOOGY's in to face him and he's made a HOF career by destroying right handed pitching.

You rely on Jim to win a game early in the game by destroying a pitcher. That's what he's done his whole career. In 2005, we had a lot of guys who were weak pitchers that we got a lead on but the game wound up close because we didn't have someone who could put them away like Jim.

The problem...Right now he's not hitting righties!

QUOTE (fathom @ May 22, 2008 -> 07:57 PM)
I was thinking yesterday that my 3 favorite baseball movies are Major League, Little Big League, and Mr. Baseball. Randy Johnson jumping up celebrating after Griffey Jr. robs Lou to end the game is one of the best scenes in cinematic history.

boooo

:gosox3:

QUOTE (RME JICO @ May 22, 2008 -> 09:06 PM)
I don't know how you can play baseball after eating all those hot dogs.

a dude i knew growing up and was actually decent friends with is now ranked ahead of kobayashi on the competitive eating circle...hes #2 in the world...from palos heights