FutureSox 2008 MLB Draft Discussion

BearSox

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (fathom @ May 31, 2008 -> 10:27 AM)
Question...which of these guys are Boras clients?

At the top of the draft Hosmer is the one guy who teams are scared to death about (reports are that his demands will be in the 7M range) and because of it a lot of people are projecting him to fall in the 10-25 range in the draft (even though he's a top 4 talent). Not sure if Alvarez is repd by Boras, but I don't think Wallace/Smoak/Beckham (Collegiate Version)/Skipworth/Crow/Matsuz are Boras guys (and these are the main guys that would potentially be tied to the Sox).

QUOTE (fathom @ May 31, 2008 -> 06:27 PM)
Question...which of these guys are Boras clients?

As chisoxfn says Hosmer is, Pedro Alvarez is and a little further down, Gerrit Cole and Alex Meyer I know definately are. I think those are the only potential 1st round talents represented by Boras.

word is that pedro wants beckett or teixeria type money....if thats the case, i think hes gonna drop, because with the way hes been struggling at the end of the year, his broken hamate from earlier in the year, and his contract demands, i think alot of teams might be willing to just go with a guy like smoak who may be as good of a prospect, will probably be cheaper, wont hold out and is healthy and hitting

QUOTE (daa84 @ May 31, 2008 -> 02:25 PM)
word is that pedro wants beckett or teixeria type money....if thats the case, i think hes gonna drop, because with the way hes been struggling at the end of the year, his broken hamate from earlier in the year, and his contract demands, i think alot of teams might be willing to just go with a guy like smoak who may be as good of a prospect, will probably be cheaper, wont hold out and is healthy and hitting

The Royals are going to pay either him or Hosmer, IMO.

If somehow Alvarez fell to the Sox, they better not be cheap. Getting that sort of prospect at 8 would be an absolute steal. I still think there are enough big money teams at the top that negotiate with Boras on a regular basis that would take there chances (that even includes the Royals, who have had good luck negotiating with Boras draft picks). I also don't think San Fran would pass on Alvarez (they have the resources to sign him).

I'm not high on Alvarez like everyone else, and if I had the choice between him and Smoak, I'd choose Smoak. Hell, I'd be tempted to go with Wallace over Alvarez. I just think Smoak and Wallace are better pure hitters than Alvarez.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ May 31, 2008 -> 01:18 PM)
If both Matusz and Crow are available, I think you have to pull the trigger on one of them. High School catchers in the first round are really risky picks.

Definitely Crow, but I wouldn't pick Matusz. There's this love fest for him, even though his stuff is fairly average-above average. I mean his stuff isn't bad, but he doesn't have any plus pitches. His mechanics aren't even that great, and he has trouble repeating his delivery. He's a nice prospect and all, but not top 5 and more like a top 10-15.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 31, 2008 -> 03:51 PM)
I'm not high on Alvarez like everyone else, and if I had the choice between him and Smoak, I'd choose Smoak. Hell, I'd be tempted to go with Wallace over Alvarez. I just think Smoak and Wallace are better pure hitters than Alvarez.

im a little partial i suppose (as my avatar may suggest), and i have only seen smoak in person about 6-7 times, and have only seen wallace on video once, while i have seen pedro probably 50+ times, but i dont think either are as good of pure hitters as pedro and if in fact wallace is a better hitter, im not sure why anyone would ever question picking him in the top 10

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (fathom @ May 31, 2008 -> 03:46 PM)
As of yesterday, the Rays are leaning towards taking T. Beckham.

He's got a pretty arrogant father though. He said that there was no way his son doesn't get picked within the top 2 picks. That can easily change though, if Posey went to Tampa and Alvarez to Pittsburgh.

Edited by jenks45monster

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ May 31, 2008 -> 01:18 PM)
Sickels has his first round mock up. I think it's completely f***ed up, but that's just me.

1) Tampa Bay: Pedro Alvarez, 3B, Vandy

2) Pittsburgh: Tim Beckham, SS, Georgia HS

3) Kansas City: Justin Smoak, 1B, South Carolina

4) Baltimore: Eric Hosmer, 1B, Florida HS

5) San Francisco: Yonder Alonso, 1B, Miami-Florida

6) Florida: Buster Posey, C, Florida State

7) Cincinnati: Gordon Beckham, SS, Georgia

8) Chicago WS: Kyle Skipworth, C, California HS

9) Washington: Brian Matusz, LHP, San Diego

10) Houston: Aaron Crow, RHP, Missouri

11) Texas: Ethan Martin, RHP, Georgia HS

12) Oakland: Aaron Hicks, OF, California HS

13) St. Louis: Christian Friedrich, LHP, Eastern Kentucky

14) Minnesota: Brett Wallace, 3B, Arizona State

15) LA Dodgers: Tim Melville, RHP, Missouri HS

16) Milwaukee: Shooter Hunt, RHP, Tulane

17) Toronto: Brett Lawrie, OF, Canada SS

18) NY Mets: Jason Castro, C, Stanford

19) Chicago Cubs: Gerrit Cole, RHP, California HS

20) Seattle: Tanner Scheppers, RHP, Fresno State

21) Detroit: Josh Fields, RHP, Georgia

22) NY Mets: Ike Davis, 1B, Arizona State

23) San Diego: Jake Odorizzi, RHP, Illinois HS

24) Philadelphia: Tyson Ross, RHP, California

25) Colorado: Jemile Weeks, 2B, Miami-Florida

26) Arizona: Anthony Hewitt, SS-OF, Connecticut HS

27) Minnesota: Reese Havens, SS, South Carolina

28) NY Yankees: Zach Collier, OF, California HS

29) Cleveland: Andrew Cashner, RHP, TCU

30) Boston: Casey Kelly, SS, Florida HS

If both Matusz and Crow are available, I think you have to pull the trigger on one of them. High School catchers in the first round are really risky picks.

I just checked, that's not Sickles first round mock draft, that was an online mock draft where members of his site were the GM's of each of the teams.

They did 5 rounds, and in the 3rd round we got Jordan Danks. The 4th and 5th round guys are players I never really heard/seen much about. I'd be ecstatic with our first two picks being Skipworth and Danks. Even more ecstatic if it was Crow and Danks.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 01:01 AM)
Whoever had TB is an idiot. They just signed Longoria to a 6 year deal and Alvarez wants a major league contract. They will NOT take Alvarez, nothing is more clear than that

Carlos Pena isn't exactly young.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 01:01 AM)
Whoever had TB is an idiot. They just signed Longoria to a 6 year deal and Alvarez wants a major league contract. They will NOT take Alvarez, nothing is more clear than that

Alvarez could easily be the pick. Not all teams are sold on his defensive ability at third, and could be moved to LF or 1B.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 06:01 AM)

They talked during the game that they'd move Longoria to 2nd base.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 11:04 PM)
Keith Law now has the Sox thinking Jason Castro as SF is supposedly on G. Beckham right now.

Not a fan of Castro. No one really projects he'll be more than an average starting catcher in the majors, at best. Good thing we won some worthless games at the end of last season.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 1, 2008 -> 05:04 PM)
Keith Law now has the Sox thinking Jason Castro as SF is supposedly on G. Beckham right now.

From what I've read, that would be severely over-drafting him.