FutureSox 2008 MLB Draft Discussion

BearSox

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 11:02 PM)
f*** YEAH! This means the odds of Crow being there at 8 increased a ton!

But does it also increase the chance that we take, say, Jason Castro? As Beckham was supposedly one of our main targets.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 05:07 PM)
I have a bad feeling we'll pass on Crow.

I hope the only reason we would pass up Crow would be to take one of the following if available: Smoak, Hosmer, T-Beckham, Alvarez, Skipworth, or Posey....but knowing Kenny we'll pass up Smoak, Skipworth, and Crow to grab future HOFer, Jason Castro.

BP has a mock up. Take a look:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=7615

8. Chicago White Sox

The White Sox would love to get a shortstop like Gordon Beckham into their system, but with him off of the board, they’ll turn to one of the many slugging first basemen from the college ranks. The obvious candidates are Alonso and Smoak, with the longstanding rumor about Arizona State’s Brett Wallace as a dark horse beginning to die out over the last week. Currently there is a split in house as to which is the superior prospect, Alonso or Smoak, but perhaps what is most telling is that during last weekend’s conference tournaments, Kenny Williams went to the SEC games to see Smoak, and not the ACC to see Alonso. That could mean nothing, or it could mean everything, but the general consensus in the industry is that Smoak is the better talent.

Selection: Justin Smoak, 1B, South Carolina

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 05:30 PM)
BP has a mock up. Take a look:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=7615

8. Chicago White Sox

The White Sox would love to get a shortstop like Gordon Beckham into their system, but with him off of the board, they’ll turn to one of the many slugging first basemen from the college ranks. The obvious candidates are Alonso and Smoak, with the longstanding rumor about Arizona State’s Brett Wallace as a dark horse beginning to die out over the last week. Currently there is a split in house as to which is the superior prospect, Alonso or Smoak, but perhaps what is most telling is that during last weekend’s conference tournaments, Kenny Williams went to the SEC games to see Smoak, and not the ACC to see Alonso. That could mean nothing, or it could mean everything, but the general consensus in the industry is that Smoak is the better talent.

Selection: Justin Smoak, 1B, South Carolina

I would absolutely love that pick.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 11:48 PM)
Not that it really matters, at least IMO, but has there been anything out thee linking Smoak to the Sox, like scouting?

Just the SEC tournament, but I have it on good authority we were there to see Beckham

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 12:45 PM)
IIRC, the slotting system was not in existence for the Borchard pick. That said, I didn't follow the draft at that time so I can't comment on that fully. However, after that failed pick the Sox have been afraid of going out and putting out big bucks on a prospect. They can put it down and rationalize it anyway they want, but they have went with the easy sign since that point in time. In there defense, most of the time they pick (which is usually in the teens & twenties) has been at a point where typically guys grade out relatively similarly.

not saying that the slotting system was in place but we did pay a very large bonus, equivalent at the time to going over slot

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 01:11 AM)
probably, but I still have hope. Rumors are however that Crow wants a big time contract now...

Considering our lack of draft picks this year, there's no time like tomorrow to go for it.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 07:11 PM)
probably, but I still have hope. Rumors are however that Crow wants a big time contract now...

I do have some inside on Crow. He wants money, but nothing outrageous and won't be signing likely till August 15 (the deadline). His top two teams to be drafted by are the Rays and Royals, but that ain't happening. All I know is that he wants fair money, nothing outrageous and there is a 1% chance at best he heads bacl to school or does a Scherzer route.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 01:19 AM)
I do have some inside on Crow. He wants money, but nothing outrageous and won't be signing likely till August 15 (the deadline). His top two teams to be drafted by are the Rays and Royals, but that ain't happening. All I know is that he wants fair money, nothing outrageous and there is a 1% chance at best he heads bacl to school or does a Scherzer route.

When you have the 8th pick, most of the guys you're interested in have money demands. Let's hope we get him tomorrow!

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 07:19 PM)

As someone who has only been able to see a little of Crow, what can you tell me about him? I know he has a live mid 90's fastball and a nasty slider, but does he have anything else? Any other info about his strengths/weaknesses?

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 08:27 PM)
As someone who has only been able to see a little of Crow, what can you tell me about him? I know he has a live mid 90's fastball and a nasty slider, but does he have anything else? Any other info about his strengths/weaknesses?

Relaxed guy, not too uptight. Throws hard like you said with the fastball, got some wicked movement at times, mostly sinking. Also, commands his fastball very well. Slider is wicked, developing changeup that is average now, that can get to solid. He is a gamer who works hard no matter the stuff he has. No real mental or outside problems, but delivery is little flawed according to scouts, but some says he will be fine. Small in stature for a big-time pitcher. Listed at 6-3 ish and 195 on MU's website. Prolly closer to 6-1 and 180. Has all the makings on an ace, but at worst could be a game-changing reliever is all else fails.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 01:43 AM)
Relaxed guy, not too uptight. Throws hard like you said with the fastball, got some wicked movement at times, mostly sinking. Also, commands his fastball very well. Slider is wicked, developing changeup that is average now, that can get to solid. He is a gamer who works hard no matter the stuff he has. No real mental or outside problems, but delivery is little flawed according to scouts, but some says he will be fine. Small in stature for a big-time pitcher. Listed at 6-3 ish and 195 on MU's website. Prolly closer to 6-1 and 180. Has all the makings on an ace, but at worst could be a game-changing reliever is all else fails.

Wears his hat in an obnoxious manner.

From BA,

The White Sox have been linked to Arizona State’s two-time Pac-10 triple crown winner, Brett Wallace, at the No. 8 spot, but the Sox may be more interested in another Pac-10 lefthanded hitter. Chicago farm director Alan Regier was given extensive scouting duties in the wake of Dave Wilder’s firing. Regier, a former assistant coach at California, is the godfather of Stanford catcher Jason Castro. Regier’s recent promotion to the scouting side has fueled speculation that Castro, whose profile is similar to Chicago’s current catcher, A.J. Pierzynski, could be the Sox’ pick.

I would officially shoot myself in the head. #8 pick in the draft and a chance to draft an elite talent and we make a big reach for Donny Lucy(err Jason Castro) again?

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 08:01 PM)
I would officially shoot myself in the head. #8 pick in the draft and a chance to draft an elite talent and we make a big reach for Donny Lucy(err Jason Castro) again?

Ditto. Making a mistake like that in the second round is bad enough. As a high first round pick it would qualify as a disaster.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 09:15 PM)
Update about Crow: from my source (i love saying this sorry I feel so journalistical but I actually do have one with Crow). the teams on him the hardest are Baltimore, Washington, Houston and the Royals still. So could get interesting...

I don't see him going to KC, and hopefully if he's there at 8, we'd take him before Houston and Washington. However, I could see Baltimore changing their mind last minute and going with Crow instead of Matusz.

Also, reportedly Posey's asking price is 12 million!!! :o So, based on this info, I feel Beckham will be the pick at no. 1 overall.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 10:15 PM)
Update about Crow: from my source (i love saying this sorry I feel so journalistical but I actually do have one with Crow). the teams on him the hardest are Baltimore, Washington, Houston and the Royals still. So could get interesting...

Is this his surprisingly (and disappointingly) unattractive girlfriend?

BTW, my friends went to Truman's to watch the Saturday regional game. She was their waitress, someone said something about how Crow should have been saved for that game and she agreed. I thought that was funny. I shouldn't say bad things about her, I went to Truman's for the Sunday game and she was working and then she recognized me downtown Monday. It's a good thing I'm back home and 7 hours away lol.

As for draft discussion...if the Sox pass on Crow I'll be upset, but I'm not completely sold on Crow being automatic like I was a month ago. I guess that's always a risk with draftees, but I would have laughed if he didn't go #1 a couple months ago. I still think he should go in the top 5 though. I'd be happy with any of the college guys floating around the 8 range other than Castro. I don't see a huge difference between most of the guys anyway.