What is going on??

gosox41

Happened to talk to Bob today, he says as official scorer he gets calls all the time from players and coaches. His main concern is getting the call correct so he'll always review the play to make sure. But knowing Bob's personality, he is not one to be browbeaten into changing a call.

He says mostly when it's about the White Sox, one of the coaches will call and it's not a big deal, he says it has been like that for decades. Players call too, but generally less than the coaches. He said Cabrera probably had a different protocal in Anahiem and guys who take pride in their defense (and their numbers) make more of an issue about it, but he said it's rarely if ever contentious. Further he said these guys stand to make a lot of bonus money for winning Gold Gloves or finishing high in the voting. So there's the monetary factor as well. Lastly he said people would be surprised about which players in the past have called contesting scoring decisions. So, Bob isn't taking this personally.

To me, this is just a case of two proud guys bumping heads (Guillen and Cabrera). It happens all the time, as fans we probably hear about 5% of incidents like this. It is obvious though that Cabrera isn't comfortable here for whatever reason and his stay here will almost certainly be 2008 only. Until he leaves, I hope he does great.

Expect to see more from Cowley on this in terms of potshots at Cabrera. Sun Times editors love this stuff and Cowley has been known to be vindictive.

As for Dotel and Allen Thomas ... another case of a new guy getting used to how the White Sox like to run things. This is not the first time Allen Thomas has had a dust up with a player and I'm sure it's not the first time Dotel got testy in his career.

In closing, there is nothing wrong with a little controversey. It happens a lot, we just don't hear about all of it.

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ May 28, 2008 -> 03:20 PM)
Happened to talk to Bob today, he says as official scorer he gets calls all the time from players and coaches. His main concern is getting the call correct so he'll always review the play to make sure. But knowing Bob's personality, he is not one to be browbeaten into changing a call.

He says mostly when it's about the White Sox, one of the coaches will call and it's not a big deal, he says it has been like that for decades. Players call too, but generally less than the coaches. He said Cabrera probably had a different protocal in Anahiem and guys who take pride in their defense (and their numbers) make more of an issue about it, but he said it's rarely if ever contentious. Further he said these guys stand to make a lot of bonus money for winning Gold Gloves or finishing high in the voting. So there's the monetary factor as well. Lastly he said people would be surprised about which players in the past have called contesting scoring decisions. So, Bob isn't taking this personally.

To me, this is just a case of two proud guys bumping heads (Guillen and Cabrera). It happens all the time, as fans we probably hear about 5% of incidents like this. It is obvious though that Cabrera isn't comfortable here for whatever reason and his stay here will almost certainly be 2008 only. Until he leaves, I hope he does great.

Expect to see more from Cowley on this in terms of potshots at Cabrera. Sun Times editors love this stuff and Cowley has been known to be vindictive.

As for Dotel and Allen Thomas ... another case of a new guy getting used to how the White Sox like to run things. This is not the first time Allen Thomas has had a dust up with a player and I'm sure it's not the first time Dotel got testy in his career.

In closing, there is nothing wrong with a little controversey. It happens a lot, we just don't hear about all of it.

nice post. thanks for sharing that.

imo, in two weeks this whole cabrera deal will be a non-issue. just fodder for debate, nothing more, nothing less. it's funny how people love to blow this stuff out of proportion as if two grown men having a disagreement is some novel happening.

and just for the record, i'm putting my money behind thomas in a match-up with dotel.

I don't get how OC wouldn't love to play for Ozzie. I'm very critical of Ozzie, but he seems like he would be the ideal player's manager, especially for a veteran like OC. I wonder if OC's impending free agent status caused him to struggle so early on, as he was trying to pull so many first pitches and the end result was a weak grounder to 3rd base. He's been using the whole field a lot more efficiently lately.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ May 28, 2008 -> 09:20 AM)
That's an interesting perspective. You may be exactly right.

Swisher seemed to embrace coming here; never got that sense from O Cab.

O cab has been shipped all over the league, I doubt that is the case whatsoever, especially with Ozzie at the helm and a team that is winning.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ May 27, 2008 -> 10:17 PM)
Kenny isn't the type of guy who will put up with a whole lot of s*** from his players though

He not-so-peacefully coexisted with Frank for several years.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 28, 2008 -> 12:22 PM)
O cab has been shipped all over the league

It sounds like there may be a reason for that.

If things don't work between Cabrera and the Sox over the long term, that's just fine with me. He's old, he'll cost a considerable amount to re-sign, and he isn't that great.

QUOTE (stretchstretch @ May 28, 2008 -> 07:38 PM)
you have to wonder though after winning the WS with Boston why they immediately traded him off

Well for one; they didn't. Boston let him walk in free agency then went out and signed Edgar Renteria (who, on paper at least, was a superior player) to a big money deal. So in his career he's been traded twice, both times in his walk year, first by a s***ty Canadian team with a tiny payroll and second by a team with a couple very good young middle infield prospects and a need for starting pitching.