Official Draft Thread

Cerbaho-WG

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 02:05 PM)
On 24th rounder Brett Graffy:

Graffy, who touched 95 mph in his last Cape Cod League outing last summer, gets more run on his fastball and pitches in the high 80s when he drops down to a three-quarters arm slot. His splitter is a promising second pitch. Control never has been Graffy's strongest suit, and when he couldn't throw strikes he lost his role in the Fighting Irish bullpen.

-BA.

always a good thing to take guys who played in the cape IMO...esepcially if they can touch 95

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sonny gray just got picked by teh cubs...hes got a strong commitment to vandy, but hes a top 2 round talent and they could throw some money at him...god they already drafted the vandy SS and CF, if they sign this guy i wont be happy

So for those in the know of some of these guys, does it seem the Sox are having a decent draft outside of the KW Jr. pick? I know it is really early to tell at this point, but as far as prospecting goes it seems like they seem to be drafting some good players. (Based on what I have read)

Randall Thorpe rated as the fastest player at the 2007 Area Code Games, running a 6.4-second 60-yard dash. He also has a strong arm, which makes him a standout defender in center field. But teams are unlikely to meet his asking price to keep him away from Texas A&M because they question his bat. He needs to add strength to his 6-foot-1, 170-pound frame, and he struggled to hit .300 against high school pitching this spring.

-BA

So for those in the know of some of these guys, does it seem the Sox are having a decent draft outside of the KW Jr. pick? I know it is really early to tell at this point, but as far as prospecting goes it seems like they seem to be drafting some good players. (Based on what I have read)

Very tough to say. Other teams are picking similarly interesting (and non interesting) players. Detroit picked the son of their asst. GM in the 5th round, I'm sure Tigers Talk.com or whatever their site is probably is skewering them too. Especially with the year they're having.

Anyway, this is all a crap shoot. You try to pick projectable players with good athletic skills and maybe a baseball tool or two that's above average. Then you turn them over to your development people and check back in a year or two.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 02:32 PM)
Randall Thorpe rated as the fastest player at the 2007 Area Code Games, running a 6.4-second 60-yard dash. He also has a strong arm, which makes him a standout defender in center field. But teams are unlikely to meet his asking price to keep him away from Texas A&M because they question his bat. He needs to add strength to his 6-foot-1, 170-pound frame, and he struggled to hit .300 against high school pitching this spring.

-BA

seems like we are signing alot of signability concern type guys...thats good if we can sign some of em this year, but for 3 years down the line when they are drafted again...

-BA

This is exactly the type of guy you take on day two.

Two problems though ... one, signing him. Two, the White Sox development people aren't really known for taking below average hitters and turning them into something good.

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 01:53 PM)
Round 31: James McCann, catcher, Dos Pueblos High School. Switch hitter, 6'2, 185. 6/13/90.

Switch hitting catcher? That's kind of a rarity. I don't know this guy from Adam, but, if he has any kind of talent at all at the high school level, seems like a good shot.

How many catchers is this for us now? Three? Good stuff. The system needs more of those, and they are always in demand.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 11:56 AM)
Switch hitting catcher? That's kind of a rarity. I don't know this guy from Adam, but, if he has any kind of talent at all at the high school level, seems like a good shot.

How many catchers is this for us now? Three? Good stuff. The system needs more of those, and they are always in demand.

And catchers named McCann? Even better.

One of the state's top catchers, James McCann has a tall, strong and projectable frame. He receives and throws the ball cleanly, but he will need to strengthen his arm and reduce his pop times. McCann's bat shows promise, but he does not yet exhibit the strength or bat speed to vault himself into the early rounds. If he does not sign he would wind up at Arkansas.

Saw this about Morel;

When the White Sox took Morel, it was their first selection since taking shortstop James Beckham (University of Georgia) with the No. 8 overall selection in the first round. Chicago rounded out its first-day draft by taking a pair of pitchers and an outfielder with their remaining picks.

“I talked to my adviser and he was looking at their reports and I guess the third basemen in the organization haven’t been producing too much,”Morel said, “so he said it’s a good organization to get drafted in because they are really in need of third baseman. I’m glad I went to a team like the White Sox that are really in need of third baseman.”

Morel had some idea he could be headed to Chicago. He said he spoke with the White Sox about a week ago. The team said he would be its selection if he was available at No. 86.

Are we? I guess if Crede leaves, we'll need a backup for Fields, but I wouldn't say we're really "in need" of a 3rd baseman.