Official Draft Thread

Cerbaho-WG

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Outfielder Kenny Williams Jr., the son of the former big leaguer and current White Sox general manager, has barely played since being diagnosed with mononucleosis in early May. He also didn't see much action in his first three seasons in college, sitting on the bench for two years at Arizona and redshirting in 2007 after being academically ineligible following his transfer to Wichita State. An athletic 6-foot-2, 198-pounder who has been drafted twice—including by the Rockies in the 32nd round last year—Williams did shake off the rust in 2008. He's a switch-hitter with a quick bat, though he has yet to develop much power or plate discipline. His best tool is his speed, which he uses well on the bases and in the outfield.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 06:39 PM)
Outfielder Kenny Williams Jr., the son of the former big leaguer and current White Sox general manager, has barely played since being diagnosed with mononucleosis in early May. He also didn't see much action in his first three seasons in college, sitting on the bench for two years at Arizona and redshirting in 2007 after being academically ineligible following his transfer to Wichita State. An athletic 6-foot-2, 198-pounder who has been drafted twice—including by the Rockies in the 32nd round last year—Williams did shake off the rust in 2008. He's a switch-hitter with a quick bat, though he has yet to develop much power or plate discipline. His best tool is his speed, which he uses well on the bases and in the outfield.

Nice pick Sox...

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 04:40 PM)
I think it's a bad idea to draft a relative (worse a son) IMO. Represents a conflict of interest.

I have no problem with those sorts of drafts. Mike Piazza says hi.

I have a problem if your team overdrafts them.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 07:39 PM)

HAHAHA! Pathetic. I thought maybe the kid has talent to justify the selection.

I can't say I know the typical player selected in the 6th round, but am I to believe he's the 180th best player in the NATION? Nice overdraft, White Sox. Atleast Guillen's kid was selected later.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

And we wonder why our system is in the s***s. It's one thing to draft freaking Oney Guillen, or whatever the hell his name is, in the 40th something round of the draft cause it's the managers son. It's another thing to use a pick that has value like a 6th round pick on your crappy son.

From the BA blog:

• White Sox GM Kenny Williams took his son, the speedy outfielder Kenny Williams Jr., out of Wichita State. He hit .325 and has excellent speed and range in center field but the consensus was that he wasn’t quite a first-day talent. He missed time this spring with a bout of mononucleosis.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 07:43 PM)
Hopefully, the Sox take some more quick players like this. Maybe better numbers for the player, but I think we need some speed types in our system.

First off, we shouldn't draft ANY more "quick players like this." Having the ability to play baseball should be a higher priority than speed. There's no maybe about it. Atleast in the 6th round.

I'd like to hear the grades of people on our draft this first day. Williams alone in the 6th makes it impossible to grade above a C.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 07:47 PM)
First off, we shouldn't draft ANY more "quick players like this." Having the ability to play baseball should be a higher priority than speed. There's no maybe about it. Atleast in the 6th round.

I'd like to hear the grades of people on our draft this first day. Williams alone in the 6th makes it impossible to grade above a C.

C- or D+

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 08:49 PM)
didn't Kenny Williams Jr. get in trouble with law a few years ago to?

yeah it was one of his sons...he has another...kyle who goes to Arizona state....he used to play baseball (rarely played) but then quit because i think he is actually a pretty decent WR on the football team