Official Draft Thread

Cerbaho-WG

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cal Poly’s other top hitting junior, Morel, is expected to join Schafer as an early draft selection.

Morel, who was not available for comment because he was reportedly in Arizona for a workout, led the Mustangs in hitting this season with a .368 average and 60 RBI. He had 18 doubles and five triples and had a team-high 88 hits while starting all 56 games.

The 6-foot-2, 215-pounder struggled with a shoulder problem in 2007 and thanks to an injury-free season this year, he saw his power numbers rise.

“We’re losing the total package with both those players,” Lee said. “It’s hard to replace that type of a ball player that can pretty much do everything on the offensive and defensive side. They are impact guys. You hope that somebody can step in and live up to their billing.”

Yeah, wow. That was a head shrugger especially with a guy we have liked in Danks. With all the stuff about the West Coast guys being in trouble and all the rumors about wrongdoings there, this makes you wonder more.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 05:59 PM)
Kyle Russell to the Dodgers. He could have been a nice pickup.

Yeah, except he's Joe Borchard.

The other Cal Poly guy just went to the Brewers, somehow that makes me feel better.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 05:59 PM)
Obviously we're drafting someone with low demands in the third round to pick up and afford Melville in the fourth...right?

Considering we drafted no one in the 2nd round, I thought we could go overslot in the 3rd.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 06:00 PM)
The other Cal Poly guy just went to the Brewers, somehow that makes me feel better.

Yeah, I'm not ready yet to jump off any bridges here. Looks like whatever site DBAH0 found made them both seem like high round picks. I just hope we can find some writeups on the guy. Who knows.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 05:03 PM)
From looking at some box scores it looks like Morel plays some SS as well.

A theme developing?

His college numbers for this season look pretty darn good. He was injured in 2007. Maybe he was ignored because of the injury.

15 BB in 239 at bats? I didn't know it was possible to be any good and have a bad walk rate in college.

A curious pick to be sure.

Drafting a 3B high in the draft ... hmmmm.

Good news is, he didn't strike out a bunch either, only 25 times. Still, it's a seemingly odd pick, we'll have to hear their rationale.

Any chance Jordan Danks will be there next round? They didn't overdraft him that's for sure, despite how many times I read on this site they would.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 05:04 PM)
A theme developing?

His college numbers for this season look pretty darn good. He was injured in 2007. Maybe he was ignored because of the injury.

I'm thinking there might be concerns over the strength of competition with a guy who played at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Just a hunch.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 5, 2008 -> 06:00 PM)
Nice to see the Sox scouting department still sucks round 3 pick is a complete waste! Way to take charge KW!

Yes, this kid might as well just stop playing, he's got to be crappy. Right Mark Buehrle?

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ Jun 6, 2008 -> 12:05 AM)
A curious pick to be sure.

Drafting a 3B high in the draft ... hmmmm.

Good news is, he didn't strike out a bunch either, only 25 times. Still, it's a seemingly odd pick, we'll have to hear their rationale.

Any chance Jordan Danks will be there next round? They didn't overdraft him that's for sure, despite how many times I read on this site they would.

I'm not too upset they didn't. He's fallen this far, and there's a reason for that: he's nothing special. The Morel pick doesn't do much for me, but I'd rather they take a potential offensive player than pitcher at this stage.