Signings from the 2008 Draft

NorthSideSox72

The thing about Kyle is that he's been saying all along he wanted to go to college. I know his brother (Chris) told him he should go to college and get the experience and he really took that to heart. He came to a bunch of games this season as well (I guess its easy to travel with a famous Dad and brother). Like you guys said, he doesn't need the money. I'm sure if he was drafted in the top 5 rounds it'd be different.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 21, 2008 -> 01:21 PM)
If I was in the same exact shoes as Long is, I'd still sign out of High School. I love playing the game of baseball, but I really dislike school.

What?? You think a scholarship athlete actually has to attend class?

This isn't Notre Dame we're talking about.

No offense chimpy. ;)

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 21, 2008 -> 11:28 AM)
I'm not dismissing him, he could be a good player, nobody actually knows. My problem with it is they could have waited another 10 rounds (maybe more) and still easily gotten him.

I don't think he would have been there in the 16th round; there were a few teams who felt he was a top 10 round talent, and they could have easily picked him. I agree it was a reach, but there are reaches and steals all over the place in the MLB draft and none of that generally matters 5 years down the road as most of these guys never see the majors, and some that do only get a cup of tea and then rarely come back.

Besides that, he's got the build to be a 4th-6th outfielder in the majors, and if by the craziest chance, he adds 20-30 pounds on his frame - KW1 isn't a small guy by any stretch of the imagination - and with that added weight comes more power while retaining some or most of that speed, and he can hit for average, you have a pretty damn good prospect. A far fetched scenario, sure, but it's possible.

Point being (not just to you, but moreso everyone), look at the draft as a whole, don't expect much out of most of the signings, and don't overanalyze a pick that wasn't made in the top 3 rounds.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 21, 2008 -> 02:21 PM)
Well, if I got drafted out of high school, I'd sign right away. If I was in the same exact shoes as Long is, I'd still sign out of High School. I love playing the game of baseball, but I really dislike school.

I remember reading or talking to a person about how college baseball players just don't attend class in the 2nd semester of the year. They have a tutor, but that's about it. So yeah, there's not much school involved.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 05:50 AM)
I remember reading or talking to a person about how college baseball players just don't attend class in the 2nd semester of the year. They have a tutor, but that's about it. So yeah, there's not much school involved.

I still wouldn't care, I'd just want to play professional ball.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 21, 2008 -> 01:21 PM)
Well, if I got drafted out of high school, I'd sign right away. If I was in the same exact shoes as Long is, I'd still sign out of High School. I love playing the game of baseball, but I really dislike school.

Lots of these kids are smart enough to know that the degree they can earn for free is worth more than they will ever make in professional baseball. Unless you are talking about first round picks or so, 99% of these kids will never sniff the big leagues, and need to stay in school at somepoint in order to live the other 50 years of their lives in a comfortable fashion.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 21, 2008 -> 02:14 PM)
Think about it...

Sign as a 20-something round draft pick or spend a year (or two) on scholarship to Florida State and hope you go higher.

On top of that... assume you have rich parents.

Minor league buses in the Carolinas... or suntanned sorority girls and the chance to be a stud-athlete on campus?

Tough decision for an 18 year old?

I'm pretty sure that during that draft I heard the commentators saying that if you are going to play ball at a 4-year college, you can only leave to play professionally after your junior and senior seasons and if you are going to play ball at a junior college you can leave after your first or second year. I may be wrong, but I thought this is what I heard...

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 05:34 PM)
I'm pretty sure that during that draft I heard the commentators saying that if you are going to play ball at a 4-year college, you can only leave to play professionally after your junior and senior seasons and if you are going to play ball at a junior college you can leave after your first or second year. I may be wrong, but I thought this is what I heard...

If you go to a 4 year you have to spend 3 years there. not sure if that is 3 years playing ball or 3 years including a redshirt season

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 06:28 AM)
I still wouldn't care, I'd just want to play professional ball.

You basically are playing professional baseball by playing at a school while also still being able to be a kid and go out and party. The only thing that keeps it from being pro baseball is that you don't get paid, but instead get free schooling. Yeah, real tough life.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 06:34 PM)

There are exceptions but most players at a 4 year school can only leave following the junior and senior seasons. The exception are draft eligible sophmores who are a certain age by draft day or a few weeks prior to the draft (I think it is 21, but I'm not positive). If you go to a juco, you are eligible each year and high school seniors are obviously eligible.

Its a pretty good rule and something I'd like to see the NBA institute. I think you shoudl be able to go out of highschool or at least commit to a minimum of 2 years (in basketball's case) of college playing time (3 years would be even better, but given the quicker impact you can make in basketball it may not be realistic).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 11:13 PM)
Its a pretty good rule and something I'd like to see the NBA institute. I think you shoudl be able to go out of highschool or at least commit to a minimum of 2 years (in basketball's case) of college playing time (3 years would be even better, but given the quicker impact you can make in basketball it may not be realistic).

I would love to see guys required to go to college ball and get rid of rookie ball. It would make the draft more of a sure thing, would make college baseball more popular and would make the draft more popular as well (I think).

As for basketball, I think that would make more guys go pro out of high school because they don't want to wait 2 more years. The current NBA draft system is far better than what it was because you can see these high school guys against better competition. If they dominate as a freshman, they probably are NBA worthy.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 11:13 PM)

On ESPN today they were talking about some high school kid trying to get around the "One and done" college rule by possibly playing one year of pro ball in Europe.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 01:30 AM)
I would love to see guys required to go to college ball and get rid of rookie ball. It would make the draft more of a sure thing, would make college baseball more popular and would make the draft more popular as well (I think).

Well, not every high school player is highly recruited and don't get to go to college for free.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 23, 2008 -> 09:32 PM)
You basically are playing professional baseball by playing at a school while also still being able to be a kid and go out and party. The only thing that keeps it from being pro baseball is that you don't get paid, but instead get free schooling. Yeah, real tough life.

The thing is, I know this. I know going straight to pro-ball might not be the smartest choice, but it's just something I've always wanted to do.

But signing doesn't preclude Long from going to college, just playing college baseball. There have been other players who have gone to college while playing in the minors, kids who have played other sports in college while playing minor league baseball. The way the college game is played now it just prolongs the learning curve for players when they finally do go pro.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 02:10 AM)
On ESPN today they were talking about some high school kid trying to get around the "One and done" college rule by possibly playing one year of pro ball in Europe.

Eh, I wouldn't read too much into into. There's been talk of that every year since the rule was implemented and no one has ever done it.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 02:57 AM)
Well, not every high school player is highly recruited and don't get to go to college for free.

I'd have to imagine if you're good enough to get drafted, you'd be good enough to get a scholarship to play ball somewhere.

I'd have to imagine if you're good enough to get drafted, you'd be good enough to get a scholarship to play ball somewhere.

Even if you are the best player on your college team, you would be extremely lucky to get half of a scholarship. The baseball scholarship world is a very odd place.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 08:25 AM)
But signing doesn't preclude Long from going to college, just playing college baseball. There have been other players who have gone to college while playing in the minors, kids who have played other sports in college while playing minor league baseball. The way the college game is played now it just prolongs the learning curve for players when they finally do go pro.

That is correct. I believe Benson played some minor league ball for the Dodgers while he was at Texas, and Dennis Dixon with the Braves when he was at Oregon.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 09:59 AM)
Even if you are the best player on your college team, you would be extremely lucky to get half of a scholarship. The baseball scholarship world is a very odd place.

Plus, I've mentioned this before, but you don't necessarily have to be that good to get drafted in the latter rounds. At that point organizations may be looking for sure fire signings to fill organizational depth needs and if you indicate a willingness to play in the minors and have some contacts they'll take you. I had a few people I played baseball with get drafted for those exact reasons and they were not in any way shape or form what I'd consider minor league "talent". They didn't even start on our bad high school teams.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 10:59 AM)

Very good point. There isnt enough scholarship money in baseball like there is in football or basketball.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 01:45 PM)
Plus, I've mentioned this before, but you don't necessarily have to be that good to get drafted in the latter rounds. At that point organizations may be looking for sure fire signings to fill organizational depth needs and if you indicate a willingness to play in the minors and have some contacts they'll take you. I had a few people I played baseball with get drafted for those exact reasons and they were not in any way shape or form what I'd consider minor league "talent". They didn't even start on our bad high school teams.

My question is... how would you let a team/scout know that you'd be an easy sign?

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 12:58 PM)
My question is... how would you let a team/scout know that you'd be an easy sign?

This is where you have to have good relations with a scout of an organization. It happened to be where we played there was an area scout who worked for the Braves (former Giants player) and because of it there were a few guys drafted into the Braves organization (as well as a few undrafted signings). So the opportunity is obviously greater in an area where there is significant major league talent (as it means you'll get familiar with some of the scouts who you'll have brief conversations with).

In our case, the scout happened to attend some non-high school games (more the summer league type of games where you'd be on a traveling team). But based on those relationships you may tell the scout or indicate to him your desire to play at the professional level and given a good rappore something might happen.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 09:05 AM)
That is correct. I believe Benson played some minor league ball for the Dodgers while he was at Texas, and Dennis Dixon with the Braves when he was at Oregon.

True you can play minor league baseball and still play another sport in college but once you've lost amateur athlete status you have to pay your own tuition. I know this b/c of the Dennis Dixon situation (Oregon is my alma mater)