Sox tried signing Kenny Lofton

Frankensteiner

Still aloft: We hear the White Sox recently made the most serious run yet at signing Kenny Lofton. But Lofton is still looking for a deal in the $2.5-to-$3-million neighborhood, which wasn't what the White Sox had in mind. We take this as not just an indication of Lofton's mind-set, but an indication of the White Sox's shopping plans between now and the deadline. Barring injury, they figure to be mostly in the market for a left-handed-hitting complementary part -- ideally one who can motor a little.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...mp;lid=tab5pos1

Having a veteran presence in the middle of a pennant race is a good idea. Its really not about if owens is better or not, and more about what to do in certain situations. The whitesox forgot how to run bases in detriot and a little lofton might have helped. A guy like that would be a nice fill in.

Edited by quickman

QUOTE (quickman @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 08:32 PM)
Having a veteran presence in the middle of a pennant race is a good idea. Its really not about if owens is better or not, and more about what to do in certain situations. The whitesox forgot how to run bases in detriot and a little lofton might have helped. A guy like that would be a nice fill in.

I would prefer Lofton over Owens...I guess I didn't watch much Sox baseball in the second half of last year, so I don't know what kind of baserunner Owens really is (whether he's actually good and smart on the bases or if he's just a trackstar) but one thing that is certain is that Lofton is a pretty smart baserunner.

In other news, Adam Russell is back up and Loaiza is expected to be released.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 09:13 PM)
Lofton showed last year he can still play... I'd love to see him signed and Uribe dumped.

I think that would be the most shortsighted move the Sox could make. Uribe's not going anywhere. You'd see Russell demoted to Charlotte before anything else.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 09:40 PM)
has lofton even swung a bat this year?

I'd be shocked if he doesn't do BP at least once every other day. If he still wants to play ball and wants that 3 mil, he'd be crazy not to try and keep his skills in shape and such.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 09:05 PM)
This doesn't surprise me at all. A lefty OF bat with speed, who can grind at the top of the order? This is what the Sox have been looking for.

That is currently the missing piece of our puzzle... Is Lofton the right guy? I dunno.... but we certaintly need to start looking for a guy like that.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jun 13, 2008 -> 05:23 AM)
So you would play Lofton and sit who? Q? Swisher? Dye? Thome? If Lofton were a second baseman, it would make more sense. So, what I am saying is....

But where would he play?

We do need a lead off hitter at some point, and one of our guys wil have to sit eventually.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 13, 2008 -> 06:22 AM)
We do need a lead off hitter at some point, and one of our guys wil have to sit eventually.

I assume you mean sit eventually, as in, once in a while. I would hope the Sox are smart enough not to actually bench any of the current outfielders, just so the team can have a prototypical leadoff hitter.

If the Sox sign Lofton or the like, its to be a 4th OF, PR and PH. And my guess is, it would be Ozuna who would hit the road if that happens.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 12, 2008 -> 06:00 PM)
If he was our leadoff hitter, he would be the most effective one to date most likely.

Unfortunately, there's no room for him. I would've loved him replacing Mike Cameron in CF 10 years ago, but he's not worth benching Quentin, Swisher, or Dye. I also recall him being somewhat of an assholio in the locker room the last time he was here.

Lofton makes a lot of sense, especially if one of the big poppers goes down. If its Swisher, Lofton slides into the top of the order; If its Dye, Swisher sliders over and Lofton plays CF (or Quentin moves to RF and Lofton plays LF); If its Paulie, Swisher moves to 1B and Lofton plays CF; If its Thome, you can use a lot of guys at DH and let Lofton get OF time.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ Jun 13, 2008 -> 11:01 AM)
It is pretty simple what would happen. Lofton would play LF/CF against lefties and one of Q/Swisher/Dye/Konerko/Thome would be given a day off. I think there's plenty of ABs for him.

Um, versus lefties over the past 3 years, Lofton has put up a dominant .246/.301/.290/.591 line. Jerry Owens is more useful against lefties than Lofton. Against Righties, Lofton put up a solid .321/.386/.436/.822