Brian Anderson

joejoesox

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 09:13 AM)
I'm not sure if I'd use that comparison. Contreras has a long and storied history of excellence, so it's fathomable (no pun intended) that he may put up a decent season or half season.

BA, on the other hand, doesn't have a history of success in the majors as a hitter. Therefore, it's understandable that people would have less faith in him. That said, he really hasn't had much of a shot and I agree that he needs more time. We probably won't know what kind of hitter he'll be until the end of next year. He was hitting the ball well a couple of weeks ago, so it's evident that he can hit ML pitching... it's just a matter of him doing it consistently.

I think that a lot of BA's problems in '06 were due to his attitude. A friend of my sister's knew Anderson when he was at the U of A and what I've heard second-hand is that he was very immature back then, even by pro athlete standards. That may partially explain why Ozzie went with Mack in CF during the latter half of that year. Ozzie doesn't seem like the type to put up with rookies who have a bad attitude. From what Ozzie has said this year, it sounds like BA has matured significantly.

I'm not comparing BA and Jose Contreras, rather comparing Jose Contreras and Freddy Garcia basically indicating that some poeple said they knew Garica was done. I wanted to point out that everyone at Soxtalk assumed Count was done too and that hasn't stopped him from having a very good first half of 2008.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 08:23 AM)
I'm not comparing BA and Jose Contreras, rather comparing Jose Contreras and Freddy Garcia basically indicating that some poeple said they knew Garica was done. I wanted to point out that everyone at Soxtalk assumed Count was done too and that hasn't stopped him from having a very good first half of 2008.

Sorry, I got lost in your earlier post.

Agreed to an extent, although Garcia went from routinely hitting 93-94 on the gun to 86-87 in one year. Contreras has lost some velocity as well, but not nearly as much. With Jose, it was more of a question of health. A healthy Jose still had the stuff to be successful. A healthy Freddy didn't.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 12:09 PM)
Agreed to an extent, although Garcia went from routinely hitting 93-94 on the gun to 86-87 in one year. Contreras has lost some velocity as well, but not nearly as much. With Jose, it was more of a question of health. A healthy Jose still had the stuff to be successful. A healthy Freddy didn't.

Despite his recent struggles, Jose is still integral to the rotation right now. With that said, if a team lacking in starting pitching depth (say the Mets as a good example) came to the Sox and offered something the Sox need such as speed and a more solid bat/OBP/situational hitter type (to keep with the Mets theme, say Luis Castillo, although he is hurting), would you do it straight up? What if said team threw in a pitching prospect to boot? What if someone took Uribe as well?

Just curious. I think there might be a market for Jose and I am not sold on him giving a great return on the investment over the remainder of his contract. I am also not sold on this being a championship team, even if they win the division.

If the Sox were relatively confident they could fill his spot in the rotation with someone in the organization, it might not be the worst alternative to unload his contract and free up a spot for Broadway (or whomever) or cash for a better alternative either via a trade this year or a free agent signing in the offseason.

The thing is, his value outweighs his worth on the trade market. No team is going to give up much to get him, at best you'd get a former first round pick who failed (and to a degree, Kenny has had success with this in the past in the Floyd deal (although at that time Garcia was talent) but more specifically in the Thornton deal (1 busted first rounder for another in Joe Borchard). Bottom line, unless the right deal came along (and rarely do they), the only thing you'd get is a potential fringe prospect at best and when you compare that to Anderson's worth (even right now, he's got a spot on a 25 man roster, at least on an NL team in the pinch run/defensive replacement mold) who has at least the ability to be a .270, 20-25 HR, gold glove centerfielder.

Again, I'm not saying it will happen, but Gary Matthews Jr. was a pretty talented guy that took a while to develop (you could make the case that even now he's not that great, but he has some value and given Anderson's defensive ability, if he could put up stats to a similar mold as the average GMJ it wouldn't be terrible). Again its a bit of a stretch given Matthews is a very patient player so he can get away with his lower average to an extent (although there is no denying his career has been poor for most of his career with a couple good years in between (texas) which led to him getting an inflated contract.

CQ was a first round pick and I seem to recall we got him for next to nothing.

QUOTE (the People's Champ @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 11:03 AM)
CQ was a first round pick and I seem to recall we got him for next to nothing.

Quentin has been tremendous but it would be inaccurate to say the Sox gave him up for nothing. The prospect the Sox traded for Quentin, Chris Carter, was the 2nd best offensive prospect in the Sox system and a legitimate power prospect (ranking solely behind Josh Fields). He was young for his level and very productive. Carter was eventually traded to the A's as one of the key prospects in the Dan Haren deal.

Last I looked he was raking in the minors as well. It was more the Sox dealing a top prospect for a top prospect who was closer to the majors, but had some injury question-marks which lowered his value to being the equivalent of Chris Carter. Obviously Quentin has been amazing, but I just wanted to note that they did give up a significant prospect to acquire him.

Quentin has been tremendous but it would be inaccurate to say the Sox gave him up for nothing. The prospect the Sox traded for Quentin, Chris Carter, was the 2nd best offensive prospect in the Sox system and a legitimate power prospect (ranking solely behind Josh Fields). He was young for his level and very productive. Carter was eventually traded to the A's as one of the key prospects in the Dan Haren deal.

Last I looked he was raking in the minors as well. It was more the Sox dealing a top prospect for a top prospect who was closer to the majors, but had some injury question-marks which lowered his value to being the equivalent of Chris Carter. Obviously Quentin has been amazing, but I just wanted to note that they did give up a significant prospect to acquire him.

Compared to what CQ is doing at the major league level, I'd still say they got him for next to nothing

Anderson was once a "significant prospect" as well, and so far he hasn't lived up to what he was supposed to. The vast majority of these so-called "significant prospects" are all hype.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 10:41 AM)
Despite his recent struggles, Jose is still integral to the rotation right now. With that said, if a team lacking in starting pitching depth (say the Mets as a good example) came to the Sox and offered something the Sox need such as speed and a more solid bat/OBP/situational hitter type (to keep with the Mets theme, say Luis Castillo, although he is hurting), would you do it straight up? What if said team threw in a pitching prospect to boot? What if someone took Uribe as well?

Just curious. I think there might be a market for Jose and I am not sold on him giving a great return on the investment over the remainder of his contract. I am also not sold on this being a championship team, even if they win the division.

If the Sox were relatively confident they could fill his spot in the rotation with someone in the organization, it might not be the worst alternative to unload his contract and free up a spot for Broadway (or whomever) or cash for a better alternative either via a trade this year or a free agent signing in the offseason.

As long as the Sox are remotely competitive, I don't see it happening this season. When he's on, Jose can dominate. Plus, you never know how Danks and Floyd are going to do down the stretch. The Sox also run the risk of dealing their playoff hero from '05 being perceived as White Flag II, and I'm sure that Kotex Boy and many of the other tools in the Chicago media will present it that way.

That said, I'd love to deal Jose at the end of this year, regardless of where they finish. They need to begin dumping aging veterans and rebuilding around younger players this winter.

I'd say that Danks and Floyd have certainly lived up to the hype.

Joe Borchard

Jason Stumm

Matt Ginter

Kip Wells

Jason Dellaero

Scott Christman

Need I go on?

And these are just the White Sox picks. Sure its easy to pick the ones that make it, but for every one that does there is probably 10 that dont

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 01:42 PM)
As long as the Sox are remotely competitive, I don't see it happening this season. When he's on, Jose can dominate. Plus, you never know how Danks and Floyd are going to do down the stretch. The Sox also run the risk of dealing their playoff hero from '05 being perceived as White Flag II, and I'm sure that Kotex Boy and many of the other tools in the Chicago media will present it that way.

That said, I'd love to deal Jose at the end of this year, regardless of where they finish. They need to begin dumping aging veterans and rebuilding around younger players this winter.

I agree that it is not likely to happen if they remain competitive all year. I think the only way it works in that situation is if the Sox were to trade him for legit prospects which they in turn dealt along with something else for a legitimate ace and I can not think of one out there that would be available and is worth it.

QUOTE (the People's Champ @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 02:52 PM)
Joe Borchard

Jason Stumm

Matt Ginter

Kip Wells

Jason Dellaero

Scott Christman

Need I go on?

And these are just the White Sox picks. Sure its easy to pick the ones that make it, but for every one that does there is probably 10 that dont

So are you suggesting that we trade for everyone's else's 1st round selections ala Quentin then? :D

QUOTE (the People's Champ @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 10:52 AM)
Joe Borchard

Jason Stumm

Matt Ginter

Kip Wells

Jason Dellaero

Scott Christman

Need I go on?

Magglio Ordonez

Carlos Lee

Mark Buehrle

Joe Crede

Jon Garland

Bobby Jenks

Need I go on?

Seriously, are you this obnoxiously negative about life in general, or just the Sox?

QUOTE (the People's Champ @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 02:40 PM)
Compared to what CQ is doing at the major league level, I'd still say they got him for next to nothing

What would you say if Carter hits 40 home runs in MLB in 2011 though? Is it still next to nothing? Chris Carter isn't exactly chopped liver.

Magglio Ordonez

Carlos Lee

Mark Buehrle

Joe Crede

Jon Garland

Bobby Jenks

Need I go on?

Seriously, are you this obnoxiously negative about life in general, or just the Sox?

Magglio Ordonez undrafted

Carlos Lee undrafted

Mark Buehrle 38th round

Joe Crede 5th round

Bobby Jenks 5th round

Of all those players you named John Garland was the only one drafted in the 1st round.

If you want to argue with me, at least have a clue as to what you are talking about

otherwise you are just wasting both of our time.

QUOTE (the People's Champ @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 03:37 PM)
Doesn't matter because the deal paid off now. That is what KW wanted, production now, not in 2011.

You didn't answer the question, you just changed your argument. You said we gave up next to nothing. I don't see how that's true.

And obviously I'm not saying that Chris Carter is going to necessarily hit 40 HRs or even make it as a MLB starter, but it's not farfetched. And to dismiss production like that as "nothing" would actually be borderline retarded. I know you're not saying that though which is why you dodged the question.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (the People's Champ @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 03:46 PM)
Show me where it is guaranteed that Carter is going to become a stud in the majors.

Right after you show me where I said that. Keep ducking the logic though if it will help.

QUOTE (the People's Champ @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 12:43 PM)
Magglio Ordonez undrafted

Carlos Lee undrafted

Mark Buehrle 38th round

Joe Crede 5th round

Bobby Jenks 5th round

Of all those players you named John Garland was the only one drafted in the 1st round.

My point is that it doesn't matter where they're drafted. What matters is how they perform at the ML level.

If you want to argue with me, at least have a clue as to what you are talking about

otherwise you are just wasting both of our time.

Your obnoxious posts are a waste of everybody's time. Is the fact that many first-round picks don't turn into All-Stars supposed to be new information or something?

Edited by WCSox

Right after you show me where I said that. Keep ducking the logic though if it will help.

If he never amounts to anything, what will we have given up? We didn't give up a big name roster player for him, we gave up a prospect that "MAY BE A STUD SOMEDAY" the same phrase all the BA supporters keep hanging their hat on. To me getting a ML producer for someone that "has a chance to be a good player" is next to nothing

My point is that it doesn't matter where they're drafted. What matters is how they perform at the ML level.

Your obnoxious posts are a waste of everybody's time. Is the fact that many first-round picks don't turn into All-Stars supposed to be new information or something?

maybe you should actually read entire threads before you butt into other peoples conversations and try to pick fights.

maybe then you could get on the same page as everyone else, skippy!