Brian Anderson

joejoesox

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (the People's Champ @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 03:52 PM)
If he never amounts to anything, what will we have given up? We didn't give up a big name roster player for him, we gave up a prospect that "MAY BE A STUD SOMEDAY" the same phrase all the BA supporters keep hanging their hat on. To me getting a ML producer for someone that "has a chance to be a good player" is next to nothing

Check out Carlos Quentin's career batting average before this season, and factor in his injury. How'd you know HE was going to be a sure thing? To take it a step further, how are we convinced his production isn't going to tail off? (rhetorical question)

Revisionist goggles ftw.

QUOTE (the People's Champ @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 11:54 AM)
maybe you should actually read entire threads before you butt into other peoples conversations

The entire point of a message board is for multiple people to "butt into other peoples [sic] conversations" to discuss an issue.

QUOTE (the People's Champ @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 12:52 PM)
To me getting a ML producer for someone that "has a chance to be a good player" is next to nothing

That's a pretty silly way to look at it, as we never would've acquired Garland from the Cubs with your logic.

And calling the Arizona-era Carlos Quentin an "ML producer" is a heck of a stretch.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 01:11 PM)
And calling the Arizona-era Carlos Quentin an "ML producer" is a heck of a stretch.

If you look at his 2006 numbers, pre-injury, he was pretty ridiculous for a couple weeks when he came up. .872 OPS, 9 home runs in his first 152 at bats. Full season that's a 100 RBI, 35 home run pace coming in as a rookie.

When he had his injury problems, that's when his 07 numbers went down hill.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 01:19 PM)
If you look at his 2006 numbers, pre-injury, he was pretty ridiculous for a couple weeks when he came up. .872 OPS, 9 home runs in his first 152 at bats. Full season that's a 100 RBI, 35 home run pace coming in as a rookie.

When he had his injury problems, that's when his 07 numbers went down hill.

Agreed but, injury or not, "for a couple of weeks" doesn't really make him an "ML producer." Quentin didn't really "produce" at the ML level until this year.

Too bad that the D-back gave up on him so quickly. But good for us. :D

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 12:28 PM)
Agreed but, injury or not, "for a couple of weeks" doesn't really make him an "ML producer." Quentin didn't really "produce" at the ML level until this year.

Too bad that the D-back gave up on him so quickly. But good for us. :D

Everyone knew Quentin had a skill-set, but if people were trading for him based on the fact that he was an ML producer it would have cost a lot more than Carter (albeit Carter was a fair price and is a very good prospect who will likely be a top 50 prospect next season). The reality is Quentin had shown flashes and the risks a team took acquiring him was whether he could stay healthy and if in fact it was his health that had limited his production (and not the fact that he had a hole in his swing that made him a AAAA player).

Everyone here was pretty excited with the deal because we knew we were getting a guy with massive "talent". I still can't call him a consistent run producer, he's had a great start and he's capable of doing what he's doing for a long time, but he's still got to build his resume.

I rephrase that, his production has completely un-hinged in the past month (which was the last time I checked his numbers). So with that, I no longer think he'll be top 50, but he's still a legit 35-40 HR prospect and those type of guys are rare (they also have a harder time fitting in because offense is the only way to crack through a lineup since he really can't play anywhere other than 1st defensively; maybe LF, but thats about it).

There are alot of great defensive OF'ers that never make it in the league or to the league, its because they cant hit. We can hang our hat on his defensive prowess for only so long, he needs to hit, and has shown that he cannot at this point. This was his chance to show that he could be a regular player, and has been nothing short of a disappointment.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 02:49 PM)
I rephrase that, his production has completely un-hinged in the past month (which was the last time I checked his numbers). So with that, I no longer think he'll be top 50, but he's still a legit 35-40 HR prospect and those type of guys are rare (they also have a harder time fitting in because offense is the only way to crack through a lineup since he really can't play anywhere other than 1st defensively; maybe LF, but thats about it).

40 HR DH is what he projects as.